Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Not necessarily. How many other CIAA schools sponsor women's soccer? Lincoln is the only other CIAA member (that I'm aware of) which sponsors women's soccer, so I'm not reading too much into that. It'll be interesting to see if VSU ends up as an affiliate member in another conference for soccer or if they'll simply go the independent route as Lincoln currently does.

That said, I'd suspect it's not a matter of if Bluefield State ends up in the CIAA, but when - though that might depend on a future Conference Carolinas football league (which almost feels inevitable) and if there's even interest from the MEC in bringing BSC into their league.
    Two CIAA schools have women's soccer. Lincoln is an affiliate of the ECC along with their baseball team. Shaw is the other school and they also have the CIAA's only men's team; both are Independent.

Comment

Comment

In evaluation of Bluefield State, I believe they would actually fit in pretty well with Conference Carolinas. CC Football would be a step closer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
          In evaluation of Bluefield State, I believe they would actually fit in pretty well with Conference Carolinas. CC Football would be a step closer.
          Yes . I think the administration there is only interested in joining the CIAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Futholic View Post

The administration should also allow the student body and coaches to have a say in the matter, especially since it pertains to more than just Football as far as athletics go (baseball, etc).

Comment

Virginia State is adding Women's Soccer and Men's and Women's Lacrosse.

https://govsutrojans.com/news/2022/4...rtunities.aspx

Comment

I wonder if they even have the budget to fully support all those new sports .
                Also, I wonder if they are planning to leave the CIAA?

Comment

I hadn't read the release yet when I posted above and missed Men's Soccer. So it appears that three sports will begin in 2022-23 and Men's Soccer will begin in 2023-24. Their not giving themselves much time to get Women's Soccer going in the Fall.

Comment

Comment

Whenever the MEAC started to falter with membership issues Virginia St. and Kentucky St. were reportedly candidates. There hasn't been anything since, so it is very possible they could.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Futholic View Post

The administration at BSC has hitched themselves to being an HBCU as the key cog in their recovery plan. That is the sole reason they are eyeing the CIAA as their desired athletic home. I think their second pick would be the MEC but it really doesn't look like the MEC has any desire to excede 12 members.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post

The administration at BSC has hitched themselves to being an HBCU as the key cog in their recovery plan. That is the sole reason they are eyeing the CIAA as their desired athletic home. I think their second pick would be the MEC but it really doesn't look like the MEC has any desire to excede 12 members.
                            BSC should really consider ALL options which would benefit ALL of their sports the best. For future needs, I believe Conference Carolinas (they may change the name) would be their best all around option.

Comment

What about the SIAC?

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                                What about the SIAC?
                                The SIAC may not make sense geographically, plus they don't sponsor tennis, wrestling, men's swimming, women's soccer and a few other sports that BSC have.

I also agree that if they can't get into the MEC then the CC would be the second best option, geographically and I would assume budget wise...also taking into consideration the sports they sponsor. Although I am surprised that the MEC would decline to have them, especially considering that their president was West Liberty's president. You would think he has a good relationship with the other MEC presidents/ ADs , and the MEC administration.

On another note, I heard Salem University has been trying to get to the MEC but they keep getting declined due to poor facilities... Maybe with the former Assistant AD now at the helm, he may have some ideas to get them to a conference.
                                Last edited by Futholic; 04-07-2022, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X