Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
    A question: Why are there not more games between NC CIAA schools and NC SAC schools? It would seem to me that natural rivalries could be be developed; larger gates as a result of shorter commutes; more press coverage,etc?

But think about Lenoir Rhyne/Winston Salem State games; or Lenoir Rhyne/Johnson C Smith; or Catawba or Wingate and the same schools.
    Just a question.
    I guess it's up to the ADs and coaches, but I think there has been some ground made with getting the NC schools to play each other. Some sort of week 1 scheduling alliance between the SAC and CIAA could really help to make scheduling OOC games a lot easier for the conferences.

WSSU has had a few home and home series with Catawba (played last year), and I wouldn't be surprised to see more games between the schools in the future. I hear that WSSU and LR were working on a home and home which would have started this year, but WSSU pulled out for the game in Canton. LR v. WSSU makes a lot of sense from just the travel cost savings alone. If it's a night game the visiting team can easily drive up the day of the game.

Livingstone and Catawba used to have an annual game, but I don't recall that "rivalry" ever been competitve.

Wingate usually pops on CIAA schedules, they have played Fayetteville State a lot recently and I believe they used to play JCSU. From a travel perspective both of those games make a lot of sense.

I'd guess Chowan v. Barton could become a regular matchup. Decently close distance, plus the Conference Carolinas tie in.

Comment

Could see LR vs WSSU drawing huge crowds. I'm all for that matchup.

Comment

Looks like Livingstone has dropped Savannah State from the schedule and has opted to get Catawba back on the schedule.

I feel bad for SSU as that doesn't give them much time to find a replacement. From Livingstone's perspective I guess it makes sense to get their crosstown rival back on the schedule, even though I can't recall the last time Livingstone was competitive against Catawba.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
          ECSU's schedule is out, and even with only needing to find two OOC games it looks like they had to still schedule a conference member for an OOC game.

ECSU

9/3 - at Benedict (SIAC)
          910 - Livingstone (neutral - Rocky Mount, NC.Counts as OOC)
          9/17 - WSSU
          9/24 - at Shaw
          10/1 - at JCSU
          10/8 - at VUU
          10/15 - Lincoln
          10/22 - VSU
          10/29 - Bowie
          11/5 - at Chowan
          I assumed Fayetteville and Elizabeth City were given permanent cross division opponent status for the game in Rocky Mount. I'm not sure if they've always played each other every season, but it's odd seeing ECSU play another CIAA team in Rocky Mount that isn't Fayetteville.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

I assumed Fayetteville and Elizabeth City were given permanent cross division opponent status for the game in Rocky Mount. I'm not sure if they've always played each other every season, but it's odd seeing ECSU play another CIAA team in Rocky Mount that isn't Fayetteville.
            The Down East Classic is just an ECSU home game that they elect to play in Rocky Mount each year. We've played in the game in the past, and even OOC teams have played in it (i.e. Benedict), so ECSU doesn't have one set team they play in it each year.

Comment

St Aug and Livingstone arguably have the toughest schedules!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X