• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 Virginia State TROJANS Football Schedule

2023 VSU TROJANS Football Schedule
    GO TROJANS!!

September 2, 2023 (Saturday) TBA Away Norfolk State University Norfolk, VA
    September 9, 2023 (Saturday) 2:00 p.m. Home Tusculum University Ettrick, VA / Rogers Stadium
    September 16, 2023 (Saturday) TBA Away St. Augustine's University Raleigh, NC
    September 23, 2023 (Saturday) 6:00pm Home Livingstone College Ettrick, VA / Rogers Stadium
    September 30, 2023 (Saturday) TBA Away Shaw University Raleigh, NC
    October 7, 2023 (Saturday) TBA Away Bowie State University Bowie, MD
    October 14, 2023 (Saturday) 2:00 p.m. Home Bluefield State University Ettrick, VA / Rogers Stadium
    October 21, 2023 (Saturday) 2:00 p.m. Home Elizabeth City State University Ettrick, VA / Rogers Stadium
    October 28, 2023 (Saturday) 2:00 p.m. Home Lincoln University Ettrick, VA / Rogers Stadium
    November 4, 2023 (Saturday) TBA Away Virginia Union University Richmond, VA

So... looks like Bluefield State is in the North.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
      Bluefield State is essentially replacing Chowan in the North it would appear.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Bluefield State is essentially replacing Chowan in the North it would appear.
        That makes sense. Other than that VSU's CIAA schedule is the same as last year's with locations flipped.

Comment

I hate the schedule.

Norfolk State adds nothing to our SOS
          Tusculum - We can do better than that.

Prediction 9-1

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
            I hate the schedule.

Prediction 9-1
            Tusculum isn't the worst choice out there as they did finish 8-3 last season; I'd argue there was a good chance they would've made the playoffs had they not lost their last two games (at Mars Hill and at Lenoir-Rhyne).
            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
              I was wondering how the divisions would be handled after others pointed out east/west would be more logical given Bluefield's proximity to several south division schools that were part of the old west division.

IIRC Shaw and St Aug were in different divisions in the old east/west alignment. The CIAA may not want to separate them now that they've settled on having "rivalry week" for the last game of the season. With the way the CIAA football schedules are formatted now (2 OOC, 3 cross division & 5 divisional), I don't think there's a way to easily have Shaw vs St Aug as a week 10 game if they're in different divisions without completely dismantling the 2-3-5 format. Subbing Bluefield for Chowan and having some long rides for north division games to and from WV may have been the best solution if that was the plan.
              Last edited by 4_tattoos; 02-12-2023, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post
                I hate the schedule.

Prediction 9-1
                Isn't Norfolk a money game that I'm assuming VSU needs every couple of years?

Just out of curiosity, who do you see the one loss being against? Honestly, I think 9-1 is a bold prediction for that schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post

Isn't Norfolk a money game that I'm assuming VSU needs every couple of years?

Just out of curiosity, who do you see the one loss being against? Honestly, I think 9-1 is a bold prediction for that schedule.
                  Norfolk State isn’t a real “money” game since we only get $50K for playing them, but I hear that this is the last year of the contract and it’s not being renewed. Personally, I like this game although we haven’t beaten them in a number of years, because it’s like an opening day homecoming for the alumni of the two schools and the history behind this game means so much more than just looking at it from an SOS standpoint. Nevertheless, I “get it” and have no problem moving on but the CIAA needs to build a stronger relationship with the SIAC in terms of scheduling OOC schools. I’d much rather spend the time and money traveling to Tuskegee or Morehouse, than Hickory, NC or Murfreesboro, TN. It’s going to be hard enough to get to Bluefield State (WV) and, honestly, I’ll probably never make that trip. It’s just too damn far and hard to get there, particularly for schools in the North, which is where they put them and makes no sense. It’s easily 5 hours in the mountains and two lane roads on a good day from Lincoln, Bowie or even Richmond or Petersburg.

I agree that 9-1 is a bold prediction. I see 7-3. We won’t beat Norfolk, Bowie or Union and maybe not Tusculum.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post

I agree that 9-1 is a bold prediction. I see 7-3. We won’t beat Norfolk, Bowie or Union and maybe not Tusculum.
                    I wouldn't overlook Shaw. Didn't VSU win a close one against Shaw last season? I know they went 4-6 in 2022, but they were competitive in all their losses. Their worst loss was by 14 points and the rest were by 8 points or less. Not saying Shaw will win the South, but that's not an easy win.

Comment

I was wondering how the divisions would be handled after others pointed out east/west would be more logical given Bluefield's proximity to several south division schools that were part of the old west division.

IIRC Shaw and St Aug were in different divisions in the old east/west alignment. The CIAA may not want to separate them now that they've settled on having "rivalry week" for the last game of the season. With the way the CIAA football schedules are formatted now (2 OOC, 3 cross division & 5 divisional), I don't think there's a way to easily have Shaw vs St Aug as a week 10 game if they're in different divisions without completely dismantling the 2-3-5 format. Subbing Bluefield for Chowan and having some long rides for north division games to and from WV may have been the best solution if that was the plan.
                      Since this is the second year of the current rotation I guess it's an easy fix just to insert Bluefield State (or BSU 2.0 Lol) for Chowan to keep things simple. However, going forward it really doesn't make sense for them to be in the current North. Just map BSU 2.0 to ECSU, BSU 2.0 literally has to pass WSSU, Shaw, and St. Augs to get to Elizabeth City. Hopefully the conference figures out a good solution for new divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Since this is the second year of the current rotation I guess it's an easy fix just to insert Bluefield State (or BSU 2.0 Lol) for Chowan to keep things simple. However, going forward it really doesn't make sense for them to be in the current North. Just map BSU 2.0 to ECSU, BSU 2.0 literally has to pass WSSU, Shaw, and St. Augs to get to Elizabeth City. Hopefully the conference figures out a good solution for new divisions.
                        If plotted on a map, St Aug is further east than both Shaw's campus and Durham County Stadium (which Shaw has apparently gone back to using for home games). So Raleigh would be the dividing line if the CIAA goes east/west in 2024 and beyond. Based on geography the divisions could look like this...
                        • EAST: Bowie, Elizabeth City, Lincoln, Saint Augustine's, Virginia State, Virginia Union
                        • WEST: Bluefield, Fayetteville, Johnson C. Smith, Livingstone, Shaw, Winston-Salem

Comment

If plotted on a map, St Aug is further east than both Shaw's campus and Durham County Stadium (which Shaw has apparently gone back to using for home games). So Raleigh would be the dividing line if the CIAA goes east/west in 2024 and beyond. Based on geography the divisions could look like this...
                          • EAST: Bowie, Elizabeth City, Lincoln, Saint Augustine's, Virginia State, Virginia Union
                          • WEST: Bluefield, Fayetteville, Johnson C. Smith, Livingstone, Shaw, Winston-Salem
                          This alignment makes perfect sense even though I hate the East/West alignment. It’s just easier to think North/South than trying to figure out which schools are closer to the Atlantic versus inland. Of course, Shaw and St. Aug being in Raleigh have always been an exception so you just flip a coin there. But, the bottom line is that they have to move Bluefield out of the North after next season due to the distance and difficulty to get there for Northern schools in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania, especially for weekday games in other sports. Even though they are a former CIAA member and it obviously worked back in the day, I still say they would have been a better fit in the SIAC or, better still, the Mountain East with the other West Virginia schools which would have saved them huge amounts of money and time in travel. Bottom line is that I just don’t think they are a good fit for the CIAA when there are much better options, despite the previous history.

Comment

Originally posted by VSUTrojans View Post

This alignment makes perfect sense even though I hate the East/West alignment. It’s just easier to think North/South than trying to figure out which schools are closer to the Atlantic versus inland. Of course, Shaw and St. Aug being in Raleigh have always been an exception so you just flip a coin there. But, the bottom line is that they have to move Bluefield out of the North after next season due to the distance and difficulty to get there for Northern schools in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania, especially for weekday games in other sports. Even though they are a former CIAA member and it obviously worked back in the day, I still say they would have been a better fit in the SIAC or, better still, the Mountain East with the other West Virginia schools which would have saved them huge amounts of money and time in travel. Bottom line is that I just don’t think they are a good fit for the CIAA when there are much better options, despite the previous history.
                            Bluefield State was part of the old WVIAC, so I'm guessing that the MEC doesn't want them beacause it doesn't appear they were invited back then. That's actually my biggest concern with BSU 2.0 getting the invite. I hope they don't use this as a chance to prove their worth to the MEC in hopes of getting an invite down the road.

They'd be a somewhat decent travel partner for Kentucky State and Central State, but outside of that they'd have some crazy travel in the SIAC.

Considering that CIAA schools have been scheduling BSU 2.0 in various sports for some years now I'm thinking our member schools are comfortable with them. We just now need to get the division split corrected. I like 4_tats proposal. If Shaw and St Augs were to get mad about being split then they could easily just schedule each other for OOC games in the years they aren't scheduled for conference play. Also, since we will be at 13 members now the conference could just throw Shaw and St Augs in the North/East division for baskteball and other sports.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

Also, since we will be at 13 members now the conference could just throw Shaw and St Augs in the North/East division for baskteball and other sports.
                              I have a feeling the CIAA might drop Claflin at some point to be honest. Let's keep it real, they were only brought in to replace Chowan after they moved all their sports except football to Conference Carolinas. The CIAA seems to have a preference for schools that sponsor football. Claflin may be an oddball out now.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X