Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why isn't UDC in the CIAA?

First off, although this is CIAA related, it's not necessarily football related, so if this is considered OT I apologize and if it's possible to edit the thread title I'll try to do that.

Anyways though, for my main point, I started following D2 a year or two ago, and I've been lurking on here for about as long, and during that time I think I picked up enough about D2 as a whole. There's been one thing that's always been confusing me though... Why hasn't UDC joined the CIAA? Obviously they fit from an institutional standpoint, being an HBCU, but it's more than just that. They fit like a glove in the CIAA footprint, with Bowie State less than an hour away, which is far more than you can say about their current conference; in the East Coast Conference, they're practically on an island with literally every other member in New York 3 states away. Sure the trip to Orangeburg or Charlotte is pretty comparable to that, maybe a little worse, but when you've also got conference members right up the road in Richmond or Southeast Pennsylvania that's gotta be a net win in terms of travel. If UDC joined the CIAA would have an even 14 members total, and as a bonus it would be easy to just slot them in the North to even out the divisions for sports outside of football. It's boggled my mind for a while now why they would rather make numerous long trips to Buffalo and NYC every year when they could cut down on their travel time and face off against some institutions that they frankly might have a little more in common with; however, I also recognize that I only really have an outsiders perspective on the situation, so I wanted to defer to the people on here that are a little more knowledgeable about the CIAA and see if you had any insight on this that I wouldn't know.

DC area native here. It seems as if UDC has been on the verge of completely disbanding their athletics programs most of my life. Not to mention in more recent years there's been rumblings of the school full on converting to a junior college (at the moment UDC offers both associates and bachelor's programs). Long story short, UDC isn't a stable option. I'm honestly surprised any conference took them in.

Comment

Originally posted by 4_tattoos View Post
      DC area native here. It seems as if UDC has been on the verge of completely disbanding their athletics programs most of my life. Not to mention in more recent years there's been rumblings of the school full on converting to a junior college (at the moment UDC offers both associates and bachelor's programs). Long story short, UDC isn't a stable option. I'm honestly surprised any conference took them in.
      Being the only public school in DC doesn't give them any stability? I would've thought they'd have a bit of a niche, seeing as it's not like DC residents get in-state tuition for any Virginia or Maryland schools... I know there's the DCTAG, but I assumed that only went so far for most schools. Not trying to challenge you on this or anything, I trust your expertise, just genuinely curious.

​​

Comment

I've always wondered the same question, but 4 tats summarized the stability issues that I think have held back the conference wanting to consider UDC as a member.

Another thing is that they don't offer sports that line up with our conference. Basketball is the only men's sport they field that the CIAA sponsors. All of their women's sports besides lacrosse are sponsored by the CIAA; however, UDC doesn't offer volleyball or softball and those are two sports that all of our current CIAA schools offer. If they wanted in the CIAA they'd likely have to rethink their teams that they field to better line up with what the conference sponsors.

Comment

About the only thing UDC and the CIAA schools have in common is 4 letters, and wouldn't add much at all to the conference sports wise.

Comment

Gotcha. Probably should've noticed the sponsored sports thing earlier, so that's on me, but everything else is stuff I probably wouldn't have picked on even if I spent a thousand more hours on the Internet looking up D2 information. Appreciate the insights all!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X