Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue State Fires Coach

https://hbcugameday.com/2024/01/09/b...arted-program/

Bluefield State has fired their coach. I am a little surprised as they are still only three seasons into restarting their program. Granted going 1-9 didn't help his cause.

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
    https://hbcugameday.com/2024/01/09/b...arted-program/

Bluefield State has fired their coach. I am a little surprised as they are still only three seasons into restarting their program. Granted going 1-9 didn't help his cause.
    Did his contract expire and they didn't want to renew it? I don't see it mentioned in the article. I've never heard of a three year coaching contract, but maybe he had one. Aren't they usually in the four or five year range?
    Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Originally posted by crixus View Post

Did his contract expire and they didn't want to renew it? I don't see it mentioned in the article. I've never heard of a three year coaching contract, but maybe he had one. Aren't they usually in the four or five year range?
      From the best I can tell he was fired, and it only came roughly a week and a half after the President officially retired. It seems like former President Capehart was one of the driving forces behind bringing back football and adding various other sports. I hope this isn't a sign that Blue State will start to rethink their athletics investment and potentially start cutting sports.

Comment

From the best I can tell he was fired, and it only came roughly a week and a half after the President officially retired. It seems like former President Capehart was one of the driving forces behind bringing back football and adding various other sports. I hope this isn't a sign that Blue State will start to rethink their athletics investment and potentially start cutting sports.
        Depends on how powerful the teachers are. Capehart was a hard charger and had Bluefield on a trajectory to be successful. His formula was to use athletics as a magnet to draw students to whatever school he was at. That rubbed the "academics" the wrong way all too often. Of course, when the "academics" were in charge of Bluefield, it was on life support and circling the drain. If they again rule the roost and undo what Capehart put into place, won't be long before Bluefield again has one foot in the grave.

Comment

Contracts in the CIAA tend to be 3 or 4 years in length.

Comment

Shocking because they played hard.

Don't people know, when you fire a coach you essential start from zero again.

Comment

Coach seemed like he was all in on Blue State too, really cared about what he was trying to put together. I'm sad to see him go like this. A 1 win season is certainly abysmal, but given that they only just joined a conference this year, I was hoping they'd give him at least one more season to try to right the ship

Comment

Blue State's Associate Head Coach/OC/QB Coach has joined the staff at SC State. Wonder who is keeping the ship afloat until the school names a new head coach.

Comment

Blue State's Associate Head Coach/OC/QB Coach has joined the staff at SC State. Wonder who is keeping the ship afloat until the school names a new head coach.
                  Isn't keeping the ship afloat part of the Athletic Directors job until a new Captain takes the helm?

​​​​​​​​​​​​
                  Last edited by crixus; 01-30-2024, 07:03 AM.
                  Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Isn't keeping the ship afloat part of the Athletic Directors job until a new Captain takes the helm?

​​​​​​​​​​​​
                    I'm not 100% sure. I always thought there was at least an interim coach to head up recruiting and deal with off season workout schedules. I guess as long as they still have a strength and conditioning coach they can lead the workout tasks, but recruiting has got to be an area that I would think even the AD wouldn't be able to successfully handle.

Comment

1 Dorm and kids living in a Sleacy INN to accommodate isn't going to help recruiting.

Comment

https://hbcugameday.com/2024/03/05/b...dinator-as-hc/

Davon Morgan is Blue States new HC. He was nearly the defensive coordinator at ECSU in 2022 before he got picked up by the FAMU Rattlers instead, but now he returns to the CIAA

Comment

Originally posted by Finchwidget View Post
                          https://hbcugameday.com/2024/03/05/b...dinator-as-hc/

Davon Morgan is Blue States new HC. He was nearly the defensive coordinator at ECSU in 2022 before he got picked up by the FAMU Rattlers instead, but now he returns to the CIAA
                          Time will tell, but I think this is a great hire for Blue State.

Comment

Time will tell, but I think this is a great hire for Blue State.
                            Very much agreed. Seeing as it'd been nearly 2 months since Coach Coaxum was let go and we had heard nothing, I was beginning to worry that the new administration was beginning to show where their priorities lie regarding football, but this is a very solid hire. I don't expect this to make the Big Blue immediate contenders next season, but as a Blue State fan, this has got me optimistic about their future!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X