Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate of St Augustine's accreditation expected today

Today's the day we will pretty much find out the fate of St Augustine's future.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fa...ay/ar-BB1iYhag

"New financial documents obtained by the ABC11 I-Team show a recent audit revealed money mismanagement at Saint Augustine's University.
    The report shows the HBCU has had issues with money mismanagement for years. In fact, the university is expected to find out Tuesday if it will remain an accredited institution.

The audit shows during the 2021 fiscal year, the university had $10 million that was listed as "unsupported." This term is used for money documented by an auditor that's been spent and that the university cannot account for in its records.
    According to the report, the university has policies in place that require authorization and approvals for wire transfers. However, this process is frequently circumvented and often times disregarded.

Another example of what auditors call money management is there have been instances where students paid their required charges, but the university did not appropriately record the charge on students' accounts. That has caused some students to receive inaccurate account statements showing that they owed money that in reality they had already paid."

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
      "New financial documents obtained by the ABC11 I-Team show a recent audit revealed money mismanagement at Saint Augustine's University.
      The report shows the HBCU has had issues with money mismanagement for years. In fact, the university is expected to find out Tuesday if it will remain an accredited institution.

The audit shows during the 2021 fiscal year, the university had $10 million that was listed as "unsupported." This term is used for money documented by an auditor that's been spent and that the university cannot account for in its records.
      According to the report, the university has policies in place that require authorization and approvals for wire transfers. However, this process is frequently circumvented and often times disregarded.

Another example of what auditors call money management is there have been instances where students paid their required charges, but the university did not appropriately record the charge on students' accounts. That has caused some students to receive inaccurate account statements showing that they owed money that in reality they had already paid."

This sounds like the beginning of criminal charges.

Comment

Unfortunately, accreditation denied!!!

My heart goes out to the St Augs students, student athletes, their families, the Alumni, instructors, coaches, etc.
        Last edited by Eagle74; 02-27-2024, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Word on the street at the CIAA tournament is that students are dropping out or withdrawing and parents have stopped making tuition payments since they consider a St. Aug degree will be worthless at this point with the loss of accreditation. Any word whether other schools in North Carolina are accepting St. Aug credits if a student transfers?

Comment

Chances are that if they move quickly to apply, and already meet the enrollment requirements, the state supported schools Fayetteville State University, UNC-Pembroke, ECSU, may consider bringing the students on. Another option may be Shaw, but it sounds to me that they are dealing with their own issues.

I hope I'm wrong, but at this point I would believe that if a school presently has St Augustine on their upcoming schedule, they may consider looking at other potential options.
            Last edited by Eagle74; 02-28-2024, 08:30 AM.

Comment

News update today: Due to lack of funds, St Augustine University is again not paying it's employees, and it's causing major financial hardships.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                News update today: Due to lack of funds, St Augustine University is again not paying it's employees, and it's causing major financial hardships.
                Disappointed but not suprised

Comment

Not sure if it's been posted in here, but they canceled their softball season.

Comment

Also... Lincoln appears to have scheduled a replacement game against Morgan State, on the day when they were scheduled to play St. Augustine's.

Comment

Sounds to me like the next announcement will be a shutdown.

Comment

Sadly, I believe at this point, the $$$ lawyers are dragging out the inevitable.

The HCCU Notre Dame College (which were in better shape financially) saw where they were ultimately headed and went ahead and did the right thing.The majority of their students are (and have been) landing at other colleges.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                          Not sure if it's been posted in here, but they canceled their softball season.
                          I saw that the cancelled softball, but then they still had people competing in the indoor track national championships last week (one of their students won the 60 meter dash). Since track has always been their best sport I wonder if they will still try to compete in the outdoor season. I don't even think they fielded a men's golf team last year, so it looks like softball and men's/women's track were the school's only spring sports offerings.

Comment

I'm glad that they had people competing in the indoor track national championships last week. However, if the school paid for the team's transportation, meals, and possibly accommodations, and if I was an employee of the school depending on getting paid to feed my family, and the school claims they can't afford to pay me for ongoing weeks, I'd be freaking mad as ale!

Comment

It sounds like St. Augustine is trying to get accreditation from TRACS - which... is technically a solution I guess.

Saint Augustine's to consider other accreditation agencies after appeal denial - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

They would also have the option as running as an unaccredited institution, but that's a risky move that rarely, if ever works out.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X