Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

St Aug's fate the same as St Paul College?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St Aug's fate the same as St Paul College?

Seems to me like history repeating itself, and I recently realized one thing. We have a party which talks a really good game about the value of HBCUs, but when it comes down to true actions, it's unfortunately seems like it's basically all talk. What administration was in charge during the closing of St Paul College, and yet again as it's looking more and more that St Aug's ultimate fate is now at hand?

So are you going to throw blame at the Episcopal Church as well????????????

Over the last decade plenty of small private D2/D3/NAIA schools have closed. This isn't just an HBCU thing, this is just the reality that it's tough for small private colleges to survive. St Augs has had glaring administration and Board issues for years now, unfortunately most of us could see this coming. I don't recall what caused the downfall of St Pauls, but being a small college in rural Southern VA certainly didn't help matters.

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post
      So are you going to throw blame at the Episcopal Church as well????????????
      Not really, because I haven't seen the Episcopal Church out campaigning about how HBCUs are benefiting so many people, and how they're going to give so much support to HBCUs if you vote for them. Seen it played out way to many times. No need of being fooled again by big promises that fall flat once an election is over.
      Last edited by Eagle74; 05-20-2024, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post

Not really, because I haven't seen the Episcopal Church out campaigning about how HBCUs are benefiting so many people, and how they're going to give so much support to HBCUs if you vote for them. Seen it played out way to many times. No need of being fooled again by big promises that fall flat once an election is over.
        If kids don't want to attend your school, and you have poor leadership, then what place does the President/Federal Government have in stepping in to save private schools?

Also, why would you expect more out of the President/Federal Government than the church these schools are actually affiliated with?

Comment

Originally posted by LegalRam View Post

If kids don't want to attend your school, and you have poor leadership, then what place does the President/Federal Government have in stepping in to save private schools?
          Well you have a guy out there campaigning about how he's all about supporting HBCUs and how he needs our votes, but yet many schools are struggling and are on the verge of closing under his watch. I'm a member of his party, and unfortunately I see billions going over to foreign countries while some historic schools are slowly dying. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

Comment

Just a matter of demographics and economics. Demographically there are less high school graduates now, and fewer of them are going to college. Then the economics of operating a small university, especially post COVID. Small colleges and universities are struggling all over the country. It isn't just limited to HBCU's. They are being impacted just like other schools. And ones without large endowments are particularly at risk. Things are going to get a lot worse in the coming years.

I bookmark this site to look at all the carnage.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/researc...nce-march-2020
            Last edited by Bballfan; 05-21-2024, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Eagle, your post is very disingenuous and I'm calling it. As legalram mentioned, there are numerous small schools that have closed, not just HBCUs. Do we need a reminder that we are averaging one school a year falling out of D2 football because of closure (see Urbana, Notre Dame College and Alderson Broddus). Heck, Lake Erie College is also down on their luck in the financial space. The bail out culture that is rampant in today's culture isnt sustainable, and it ain't one administration's fault. Additionally, government shouldnt be in this role of continuously saving private institutions anyways. (PPP was a gross waste of money IMO). A free market solution would have been merging, but SAU's debt load is so high that there wouldnt be but so many entities that could take that on. SAU's had governance issues for some time (look at the high turnover rate in the HC spot). Institutions that saddle students with high rates of debt like that while not self sustaining themselves is a disservice to the student. If there is any solace, would it be that these students wont have to pay that debt back? If so, then thats the silver lining in this debacle. Sadly, some of these students may not go to school elsewhere, and some of those credits may not transfer either.

Comment

On the D2 football death watch in addition to Lake Erie, add Ohio Dominican. Those schools only have football to bring in much needed students. Lake Erie recruits kids from FLA without even setting foot on campus. Just for the opportunity of playing sports (now defunct Notre Dame College did the same).

I get why athletes want to continue playing sports. And if they cant get a little bit of money to help with school by doing it, they think it is a win/win. But schools with a ratio of 50 percent or more athletes isn't a good situation.

Comment

Well, based on the feedback, I guess it's become a who's next on having to shut their doors. It looked like ECSU was basically on life support prior to the State Senate stepping in and saving it, now it seems as though they're doing fine, with a bright future.

Based on numbers I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Shaw coming up in future conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                    Well, based on the feedback, I guess it's become a who's next on having to shut their doors. It looked like ECSU was basically on life support prior to the State Senate stepping in and saving it, now it seems as though they're doing fine, with a bright future.

Based on numbers I've seen, it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see Shaw coming up in future conversations.
                    In the HBCU world I think former SIAC member Paine College has one foot out the door for closure. They recently suspended their health, life, and disability benefits for their employees.

You and I have gone back and forth over the Promise Plan, but I will admit that the Promise Plan was always a great thing for ECSU. Allowing ECSU to actively compete for students from the Virginia Tidewater area was huge for the survival of ECSU.

Comment

The leader of the free world can give financial support to any institution, however, it's up to that school to use those funds wisely. Take away employees misappropriations of funds coupled with lack of annual audits no one could blame the President for that. There si a lot of factors that affect today's HBCU's and small PWI's. If you listen to KC's kicker women need not go to school to learn how to be a housewife. Just saying!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bballfan View Post
                        Just a matter of demographics and economics. Demographically there are less high school graduates now, and fewer of them are going to college. Then the economics of operating a small university, especially post COVID. Small colleges and universities are struggling all over the country. It isn't just limited to HBCU's. They are being impacted just like other schools. And ones without large endowments are particularly at risk. Things are going to get a lot worse in the coming years.

I bookmark this site to look at all the carnage.

https://www.bestcolleges.com/researc...nce-march-2020
                        That's quite a find. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

In 2019, Congress passed and President Trump signed the FUTURE Act which made permanent $255M in annual funding to HBCUs. Other private colleges mentioned here (NDC, Ohio Dominican, Lake Erie, AB) did not qualify for FUTURE Act funding but St Aug does.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X