Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rich people's problems

Blazer fans are things really that bad? I know we have some issues, the biggest I believe is our rush defense needs significant improvement, the opponents' 4.2 yards per attempt is not championship caliber but other than that the 2019 Blazers compare quite favorably to last year's team. I know I'm ignoring the obvious, we're not scoring as much points, but is that really that important? We're still putting up over 500 yards per game of total offense while holding opponents to 50 yards less than that championship team.

We have a long winning streak (won't mention the number to jinx us), the best player in D2, a freakishly good backup that could start at most other schools, a couple of the best running backs in D2, a record breaking wide receiver and all around good dude, a stingy defense, a schedule that will force us to get even better in preparation for the post season (Lord willing). Are we really that bad off :)

Just a interesting comparison:

Last year our offense averaged 524 yards per game (this year 523).
    Last year our defense averaged giving up 343 total YPG (this year 290).
    Last year we averaged rushing for 263 ypg (this year 275). Our opponent averaged rushing for 135 ypg (this year 140.5).
    Last year we averaged throwing for 261 ypg (this year 248). Last year our opponents threw for 209 ypg (this year 150).
    Last year we averaged +.78 on turnovers per game (this year averaging zero per game.
    Last year we averaged 3.29 sacks per game against our opponents (this year it's 2.0 sacks per game).
    Last year our opponents sacked us an average of 1.36 per game (this year they average 1.0 sacks per game against us).

These two teams have very similar statistics. There's a difference in KB's style and Gary Goff's. Bell's going to score until he can't score any more. I've seen Goff have the good judgement to call off the dogs late (particularly thinking of Ohio Dominican and maybe a couple of others).

Only other thing I see is we're not taking the ball away quite like we did last year. Also not getting quite as much pressure on the opposing QB's (sacks) as last year. FWIW, earlier in the year I calculated that we had 130 points on turnovers through 13 games in 2018. That's 10 points a game. Not sure what that number is this year, but I'd imagine we're way behind that. So if we averaged 52 pp. last year and 10 points were from T/O, did our offense really score 42 a game last year? And remind me what we're scoring this year (41)

Taking the thought a step further, our opponents last year averaged scoring 22.6 points a game against us. This year it's 16.38 (so we're essentially allowing a touchdown less per game on defense).

I have no clue what problems rich people have, but at Blazer Central we're in good shape, as this year's team is performing very similarly to last years team.

Can we make it through the gauntlet undefeated? I don't know. It takes more than talent to do that and there are a lot of good teams out there.

Excuse me for vomiting up a bunch of stats at you fine folks, but as boy blue has pointed out, we've got a pretty good football team. We have a lot of talent, We're pretty well seasoned. And we know what's involved to get there.

In spite of our worst outing of the year (or two) we still found a way to win yesterday when it was all on the line. That's pretty impressive.
    Last edited by Fan_the_Flame; 10-27-2019, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Well said, I will add two observations.
      1- Last year 7-0 this year 7-0 (or undefeated anyway)

2-Some people will b***** when The Lord comes back.

Comment

That stat comparison is amazing! I kinda felt we were pretty much on par, the numbers confirm my suspicions. No forgiveness necessary FantheFlame, that's like a mic drop :) and Larold, concise but to the point, you can't please em all.

Not saying we're gonna continue winning at this pace but it's hard to complain about 7-0, especially considering the circumstances. I don't know how he does it but our AD has a knack for finding the right guy for the season and I hope Coach Goff's season runs for a while.

Comment

Comment

Amen. Do the Blazers publish an injury report? Does anyone know who's been unavailable?

Comment

Originally posted by boyblue View Post

Amen. Do the Blazers publish an injury report? Does anyone know who's been unavailable?
              They don't. But rumor is; Larold is dusting off his leather helmet. He's mean son-of-b!tch !!
              <>

Comment

Next man up...

Comment

Comment

Good point, it has been a long stretch without a break.

Comment

Not saying we're gonna continue winning at this pace but it's hard to complain about 7-0,
                      Bell ran a lot of deep patterns and stretched the defense. Goff is MUCH more conservative. I think if he stretched the field more, it would give Wells and RB's more space.
                      I don't think he's yet figured out how to use his stable.
                      <>

Comment

Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

They don't. But rumor is; Larold is dusting off his leather helmet. He's mean son-of-b!tch !!
                        You see, Wide_Right spouting untruths, YET AGAIN! Helmet use started the year after I graduated.!

Comment

Originally posted by Fan_the_Flame View Post

Next man up...
                          Exactly.

Doesn't help anyone to advertise whose hurt. "The next man up" is a good way to keep all the players focused - even the redshirt freshmen. Everyone prepares for their position to be ready to play when called to do so.

#BlazerNation

Comment

This is one of the best thread titles I have ever seen....

Comment

Originally posted by Wide_Right View Post

Bell ran a lot of deep patterns and stretched the defense. Goff is MUCH more conservative. I think if he stretched the field more, it would give Wells and RB's more space.
                              I don't think he's yet figured out how to use his stable.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X