Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible realignment D1 ASUN effect on D2?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
    These would be good fits for CUSA! Be interesting to see if it happens.
    It's all crazy to think about really. I've heard for months that CUSA is going after all of the ASUN football teams after they poached Liberty and Jax State. I didn't believe it really, I guess. Then, Kennesaw State was rumored last week to be going to CUSA, and the GA Board of Regents is voting on that tomorrow. Now, this from Matt Brown today who I definitely trust on these matters.

UNA is in no way ready for FBS football. At all. But, folks in college football have lost their minds lately, obviously.

It was announced last week that the university had a record fundraising campaign and I heard yesterday that UNA has voted to move forward with building a new stadium on campus. Today, it was announced that the university has record enrollment this fall. So, maybe things are happening in Florence.

I'm not rich, so I just sit back for the ride as an alum and fan. Haha. Sigh.
    Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

North Al for sure not matching anywhere near D2 success yet. Nowhere near ready for FBS honestly

Comment

Originally posted by statesmen supporter View Post
        North Al for sure not matching anywhere near D2 success yet. Nowhere near ready for FBS honestly
        I liked your post. But, to be fair, Bobby Wallace retired after the national title run in 2016 and well....it's just not been the same. We limped out of D2 5-5 in 2017 if you recall. Played a WR at QB the last game because we'd gone through five that season. I hear that our coach's days are numbered and we'll see about all the rest. We lost in double OT to Kennesaw State this past weekend and that sums up a lot of the games. Just couldn't get it done for the W. It's disappointing to watch for sure.

What I've learned is that success doesn't seem to matter when conferences want to call you up from another division. CUSA was in real trouble and is now poaching the ASUN to stabilize itself. But, in turn, has likely killed what could have been a great FCS conference.

The result will be that teams like UCA, APSU, and even UNA could end up in FBS wayyyyyyy at the bottom. Sigh.
        Last edited by UNALions; 10-11-2022, 06:39 PM.
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

It is a treacherous time in FBS for those outside the power 5 with NIL, the portal, realignment and playoff expansion. I read an article that had Utah coach Kyle Whittingham’s thoughts that the top 25 will soon mirror the NIL top producers. It will also be interesting to see what happens to the lower tier bowls when the playoff is expanded.

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post
            It is a treacherous time in FBS for those outside the power 5 with NIL, the portal, realignment and playoff expansion. I read an article that had Utah coach Kyle Whittingham’s thoughts that the top 25 will soon mirror the NIL top producers. It will also be interesting to see what happens to the lower tier bowls when the playoff is expanded.
            I agree. CUSA is going to have tough sledding no matter who joins. I also seriously worry about FCS and D2. Since the portal, there's no longer a need to go D2 to avoid having to sit out a year. No longer will Janoris Jenkins need to transfer to UNA or Tyreek Hill to UWA. That saddens me and truly makes me worry about D2, especially in the southeast. Yet, if FCS is dried up in the south soon, there may be nowhere for current D2s to go anyway. Other than playing time, FCS has very little draw for a culture that has most student-athletes wanting "D1 or nothing".

I feel like the small college football that we all love is on a steep decline in the south driven largely by money and the media conglomerates that run FBS.
            Last edited by UNALions; 10-11-2022, 07:37 PM.
            Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I agree. CUSA is going to have tough sledding no matter who joins. I also seriously worry about FCS and D2. Since the portal, there's no longer a need to go D2 to avoid having to sit out a year. No longer will Janoris Jenkins need to transfer to UNA or Tyreek Hill to UWA. That saddens me and truly makes me worry about D2, especially in the southeast. Yet, if FCS is dried up in the south soon, there may be nowhere for current D2s to go anyway. Other than playing time, FCS has very little draw for a culture that has most student-athletes wanting "D1 or nothing".
              For the smaller D2 teams, FCS is not an affordable option so it will be D3 or NAIA or no football. But you are right the only D1 xfers to D2 will be those that just want a chance to play or those that portal once and still don’t get to play. No more troubled stars, someone will take them.

Comment

Originally posted by UWAalum View Post

For the smaller D2 teams, FCS is not an affordable option so it will be D3 or NAIA or no football. But you are right the only D1 xfers to D2 will be those that just want a chance to play or those that portal once and still don’t get to play. No more troubled stars, someone will take them.
                I agree with you. But it gets murky for schools like UNA, Jax State, UWG, VSU, and UWF as far as where they should or want to be in relation to college sports. Guess which of those schools is larger? Not the FCS schools. Jax State is the smallest of those mentioned as far as enrollment with just under 10K. UNA just announced a record enrollment of just over 10K. Jax State also averages 19K in football attendance at their two home games so far this season. UNA about 10K.

The three GSC schools, however, have over 12K/13K in enrollment. So, it's really all about the commitment from a financial standpoint and what the school's focus is as far as athletics.
                Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

It sucks to see DSU and UWA left out. Rightfully so, though, since DSU and UWA have much smaller enrollments, especially DSU.
                  I definitely miss the old GSC. I worry about what the future holds for DSU and the GSC.
                  RESPECT THE STATESMEN, FEAR THE OKRA!
                  Delta State University, GSC

Comment

Valdosta State needs to make the jump to the ASUN. It would cost about $3M a year to make the jump, which could be accomplished through a $50-$75 per semester athletics fee increase, plus additional media funding from the conference and other revenues associated with playing higher profile teams. The Gulf South Conference has been great for VSU, and ironically, that is why the move to the ASUN would be so compelling as there would be other past GSC institutions in the conference.

Valdosta State is a major regional university (actually designated as a national university by USNWR, although lower tier). The graduate school is growing is size and recognition. Research is expanding and the university will no doubt be an R2 institution in the future.

In the ASUN Valdosta State will be with peer institutions, will have a much greater athletics and media profile, host games against compelling teams (the regular season contests would increase in interest), would have an opportunity to make the DI national tournaments in basketball and other sports - which I know our AD is against, but folks from Valdosta could you imagine the interest if either the men's or women's basketball team made a run in the ASUN tournament with a chance to gain a qualifying spot in the big dance. Bring back VSU vs North Alabama! Add VSU vs Stetson and University of North Florida! UWF/UWG should come along as well. It would be an outstanding FCS conference with terrific rivalries. Out of conference at that level would be much more compelling as well.

D2 was once great, and there is still great competition and wonderful stories, but Valdosta State needs to step up and join our peer schools. Grow or die.

Comment

Not sure where the $3 million figure came from.

A $75 student fee would only raise about a quarter of that figure anyway. Enrollment is down..

Comment

There is also a push to grow our online programs, which has already had some national recognition. The problem is that online students do not pay activity fees. Athletic salaries would also increase if we move up. A serious study of costs and possible revenue would have to be done.
                        That being said, there is no doubt that having a succesful athletic program attracts students. Students don't yell, "Go Physics". They yell, "Go Blazers!"
                        Last edited by BlazerLady; 10-20-2022, 03:52 AM.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Gotta love how BL gets right to the heart of the matter.

She gots CLASS!

Comment

How much is tuition at VSU and WGa. I have heard it takes at least seven million more dollars to go from d2 to d1. That’s every year and the success of the schools on the field drops of significantly. Attendance actually is not really better especially after the third year. You do get to become a sacrificial lamb to a power school like Auburn etc. for couple hundred thousand. Presbyterian gave it go for several years with very little success. Gardner Webb is another that hasn’t made it after several years and still draws less than four thousand to a football game. Its a tough decision but maybe if your last name is State you could have a better chance.

Comment

Originally posted by crashandannie View Post
                              Gotta love how BL gets right to the heart of the matter.

She gots CLASS!
                              Ha. It is what it is!

#BlazerNation

Comment

Originally posted by UNALions View Post

I feel like the small college football that we all love is on a steep decline in the south driven largely by money and the media conglomerates that run FBS.
                                PLUS we have to PAY TO WATCH IT!!!! What a great way to grow a product.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X