Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this doesn't help much on the football front, but a sleeper addition could be Trevecca Nazarene out of the GMAC. They already have a brutal travel schedule going to Michigan and Ohio from Nashville, so they would probably be fine with a GSC schedule in most sports. Would be decently competitive in most sports, especially baseball and both basketballs if memory serves.

Comment

From D1.ticker:

West Georgia (DII)
      is seeking to reclassify to DI and the Atlantic Sun starting with the 2024-25 season, Extra Points publisher Matt Brown reports. Per Brown, the University System of Georgia Board of Regents is scheduled to meet tomorrow to “review a request from the University of West Georgia to enter into a new agreement regarding its athletic conference affiliation and the expansion of its athletics program offerings.” While UWG will not be immediately eligible for NCAA postseason events, ASUN Commissioner Jeff Bacon tells Brown the Wolves will be immediately eligible for ASUN tournaments, consistent with a league policy established under former Commissioner Ted Gumbart. UWG currently sponsors 14 sports and would need to expand its portfolio as part of the reclassification process, and Brown is told that even if the USG Board of Regents does not allow UWG to reclassify, the school still intends to bring back men’s indoor and outdoor track and may add additional women’s sports. Also from Brown: “Sources familiar with the ASUN’s thinking have told me that the conference does not have immediate plans to expand further, although industry sources outside of the ASUN have told me that the league has had, with varying degrees of formality and seriousness, conversations with multiple other DII programs, including football and non-football playing institutions.”
      Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

How about some of the FLA NAIA schools to the GSC..like Keiser (national runner up), St. Thomas (also a good program), and or maybe Reinhardt (GA)?

The Keiser schedule shows some of those NAIA schools in FLA.
        https://kuseahawks.com/sports/football/schedule/2023

Comment

Problem with adding St. Thomas is one season dealing with the men's basketball coach down there and the GSC will boot them.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
            Problem with adding St. Thomas is one season dealing with the men's basketball coach down there and the GSC will boot them.
            Their head coach (football) is also the AD..and was the head coach at Notre Dame College in D2. Keiser looks like have a decent operation and wouldn't be shocked by the level of play in the conference. Just random thoughts here..I have zero evidence of either having any real interest.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Witwicki View Post

Their head coach (football) is also the AD..and was the head coach at Notre Dame College in D2. Keiser looks like have a decent operation and wouldn't be shocked by the level of play in the conference. Just random thoughts here..I have zero evidence of either having any real interest.
              Oh I know. My bad. I know from a friend who coaches against St. Thomas that the men's basketball coach is.....well Jesus would still love him. haha. Enough to make me not want to add STU! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post

Let's say those 3 jet...it would make a tremendous amount of sense to me for DSU, MC and UWA to go the GAC route or LSC than CC. Not to mention better leagues.
                I’m for putting them in the GAC with a West and East Divisions. Would only make the GAC stronger. Trouble being the East Division with the 6 Arkansas schools would be significantly tougher than the West with 6 Oklahoma schools. I also doubt the Oklahoma schools could handle any additional travel costs.

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post

I’m for putting them in the GAC with a West and East Divisions. Would only make the GAC stronger. Trouble being the East Division with the 6 Arkansas schools would be significantly tougher than the West with 6 Oklahoma schools. I also doubt the Oklahoma schools could handle any additional travel costs.
                  May have been a while back, but wasn't the Oklahoma state government trying to force all the Oklahoma D2 schools to be in one league?

Comment

The Oklahoma lege was talking about it but nothing ever came of it. I doubt Central Oklahoma would leave the MIAA. NE Ok needs to but probably just drop football all together. Rogers State and Panhandle State could replace Oklahoma Baptist and Southern Nazarene who might opt to stay in the GAC

Comment

I wouldn’t want to be Matt Wilson right now. If true, congratulations to this outstanding UWG staff. UWG has never had smart leadership until now.

Comment

I'd be surprised we have the money to pull this off but if it comes to pass I will pony up more.

Right now the GSC is the PAC-12/8/4... no 2 of D2. I love the GSC but the Titanic has struck an iceberg.

We don't need to bring back Men's Track. I think I'm still #11 all time on the Javelin. No chance that position holds off many challengers, lol.
                        Last edited by Braves'86; 09-07-2023, 08:15 PM.

Comment

#BREAKING The University of West Georgia on Friday will ask the Committee on Intercollegiate Athletics to allow #UWGAthletics to enter into a new agreement regarding its athletic conference affiliation and the expansion of its athletics program offerings.
                          A UWG official earlier this week told WLBB radio that UWG is asking to leave the Gulf South Conference and the NCAA Division 2 – and be able to join NCAA Division One.

Division 1 programs are considered to offer the highest level of competition among the NCAA’s three divisions. Most D1 programs are found at large schools with big athletic budgets. These schools typically provide more scholarships compared to the other division levels.

There is unconfirmed speculation, that if accepted - UWG could join the Atlantic Sun Conference, the United Athletic Conference or the Ohio Valley Conference.

Among the requirements to become a Division One school, UWG would have to sponsor a minimum of seven men's and seven women's sports, or six men's and eight women's sports. UWG currently sponsors 5 men’s sports and 9 women’s sports that can compete for NCAA championships, according to UWG Athletics Director Jason Carmichael.

There are currently 363 NCAA D1 schools across the U.S.

Courtesy of WLBB

Comment

It's a done deal. BOR Approval. UWG joins the ASUN next year.

Comment

I'll still be a visitor to the D2 boards, but which site is the hot one to visit for ASUN/FCS news and chatter?

Comment

www.AnyGivenSaturday.com

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X