Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Florida at Florida A & M

The biggest week of D2 v FCS in 2023 opens with West Florida traveling 200 miles east to take on FCS ranked Florida A & M, which is followed by Ferris St. traveling 1,600 miles west to take on FCS ranked Montana.

This is the shortest road trip in school history for the Argos, who put their 2-0 D1 record and 5-1 instate record on the line. Both rosters are 2/3 Florida players with the Rattlers all D1 and the Argos just liberally sprinkled with D1 players.

The Rattlers used a balanced offense to beat Jackson State in Orlando 28-10 and committed 5 turnovers to lose to South Florida 24-38 last week. The Argos won both of their opening games by the identical score of 35-3 and the defense accomplished a rare feat in holding the run game of McEndree to a total of -32 yards.

The stat sheet favors the Argos, but that was accomplished against lesser opponents and doesn’t really offset the roster advantage of the Rattlers who were 9-2 the last two seasons against FCS opponents.

The only stat that might help the Argos pull off an upset is the turnover ratio where the Argos are +1 and the Rattlers are -3. The Rattlers main RB are all big (6’-6’2” and 200-235 lbs.) and would probably wear down the Argo D if the Rattlers can run a balanced offense and the Argo offense has too many three and outs.

To pull off an upset the Argos need some turnovers and big plays early to play from the lead and force the Rattlers to abandon their running game like they did last week against South Florida. The Argos ran a successful fake punt last week and they will need creative play calling, turnovers and a little luck to pull off an upset.

Unfortunately, the Argo offense has shown a irritating tendency to get stuck in neutral for extended periods of time against their first two opponents and that would be fatal against the Rattlers. As much as my heart says Argos, my head tells me the ranked Rattlers are a bridge too far. The Argos had to play their best game to squeak out their previous close victories against under .500 FCS opponents and a ranked FCS opponent is another level above those prior opponents.

I plan to make the drive over to Tallahassee to see this one in person just in case the Argos pull off another program first in their white Stormtroopers. In the end, Rattlers by 10.

It's a tall task for sure.

#BlazerNation

Comment

Go Argos / represent the GSC!! Y’all got this!!

Comment

Go Argos!
        Go GSC and Roar LIONS!!

Comment

I would love if UWF proves me wrong here and I'll be cheering hard for the Argos to do just that but I don't see it happening. I don't think this team has the Austin Reed/star studded WR combo that lights up the scoreboard and I don't think there is any chance we hold A&M to 3 points like our last 2 opponents.

When we scrimmaged them a few years ago our team was better than theirs and I wish that would have been a real game like this one because it would have been such a signature win. I can't see that being the case now.

I'm going to say Rattlers by 17 but boy would it be amazing if I'm way wrong.
          * 2022 BACK 2 BACK GSC CHAMPIONS and D2 FINAL 4
          * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS
          * 2019 D2 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
          * 2017 D2 NATIONAL RUNNER-UP

Comment

Originally posted by West Florida View Post
            I would love if UWF proves me wrong here and I'll be cheering hard for the Argos to do just that but I don't see it happening. I don't think this team has the Austin Reed/star studded WR combo that lights up the scoreboard and I don't think there is any chance we hold A&M to 3 points like our last 2 opponents.

When we scrimmaged them a few years ago our team was better than theirs and I wish that would have been a real game like this one because it would have been such a signature win. I can't see that being the case now.

I'm going to say Rattlers by 17 but boy would it be amazing if I'm way wrong.
            Austin Reed plays in the Horseshoe at Ohio State this weekend. I hope they pull off a major upset.

Comment

Originally posted by UWARTime View Post

Austin Reed plays in the Horseshoe at Ohio State this weekend. I hope they pull off a major upset.
              I've been looking forward to watching that as well. If they pull off that upset and he throws for 5TDs or something I think you would hear his name as a dark horse for the Heisman which would be wild. It wouldn't last because of their schedule not being tough enough the rest of the way but that would really be something for a kid that came of the bench in a loss week 1 of 2019 for West Florida.
              * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on this game. I will certainly be following it on Saturday.

Comment

One interesting stat for both Argos and Rattlers- they both have sacked the opposing QB 10 times in 2 games. Could be Very Interesting in terms of turnovers.

Comment

Getting up early (possibly meaning even the need to score first) could be huge if UWF wants to have any chance. Somehow getting the game in the hands of our defense and being able to shorten the game as much as possible. I'm hoping we've been saving some things offensively for this one knowing we were going to be in good shape the first 2 games. If somehow we could get a score and a stop and a score and could find ourselves up 14-0 somehow before A&M really settles in I think it could make it interesting.
                    * 2021 GSC CHAMPIONS

Comment

Originally posted by Argonut View Post
                      The biggest week of D2 v FCS in 2023 opens with West Florida traveling 200 miles east to take on FCS ranked Florida A & M, which is followed by Ferris St. traveling 1,600 miles west to take on FCS ranked Montana.

This is the shortest road trip in school history for the Argos, who put their 2-0 D1 record and 5-1 instate record on the line. Both rosters are 2/3 Florida players with the Rattlers all D1 and the Argos just liberally sprinkled with D1 players.

The Rattlers used a balanced offense to beat Jackson State in Orlando 28-10 and committed 5 turnovers to lose to South Florida 24-38 last week. The Argos won both of their opening games by the identical score of 35-3 and the defense accomplished a rare feat in holding the run game of McEndree to a total of -32 yards.

The stat sheet favors the Argos, but that was accomplished against lesser opponents and doesn’t really offset the roster advantage of the Rattlers who were 9-2 the last two seasons against FCS opponents.

The only stat that might help the Argos pull off an upset is the turnover ratio where the Argos are +1 and the Rattlers are -3. The Rattlers main RB are all big (6’-6’2” and 200-235 lbs.) and would probably wear down the Argo D if the Rattlers can run a balanced offense and the Argo offense has too many three and outs.

To pull off an upset the Argos need some turnovers and big plays early to play from the lead and force the Rattlers to abandon their running game like they did last week against South Florida. The Argos ran a successful fake punt last week and they will need creative play calling, turnovers and a little luck to pull off an upset.

Unfortunately, the Argo offense has shown a irritating tendency to get stuck in neutral for extended periods of time against their first two opponents and that would be fatal against the Rattlers. As much as my heart says Argos, my head tells me the ranked Rattlers are a bridge too far. The Argos had to play their best game to squeak out their previous close victories against under .500 FCS opponents and a ranked FCS opponent is another level above those prior opponents.

I plan to make the drive over to Tallahassee to see this one in person just in case the Argos pull off another program first in their white Stormtroopers. In the end, Rattlers by 10.
                      Delta State also plays Mississippi Valley State, kinda like a GSC vs SWAC thing eh!

Comment

Go Argos! Got this!

Comment

Originally posted by TigerLifeUWA View Post
                          Delta State also plays Mississippi Valley State, kinda like a GSC vs SWAC thing eh!
                          I wish both DSU and UWF success this weekend. If both just get out of their games relatively injury free it'll be a win, regardless of the score.
                          No prediction, but DSU will have a much better shot at the W.

Comment

I'm not even a WKU fan but by God I would order a shirt instantly. Any time Ohio State loses, Jesus is happy.

Comment

WKU wears the same colors, so they should feel right at home in the red of horseshoe. A good performance by Reed and his senior WR should lock up their Senior Bowl roster spot. Go Hilltoppers!!!!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X