Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaches On the move!?

Re: Coaches On the move!?

I'm sorry, but that's a move down IMO. Especially when he could have stayed at JMU and gotten a better job than Charlotte.

I also wouldn't leave App State for Carolina but that's me.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
      I'm sorry, but that's a move down IMO. Especially when he could have stayed at JMU and gotten a better job than Charlotte.

I also wouldn't leave App State for Carolina but that's me.
      My UNC Tar Heel friends and neighbor (a major die hard Heels fan) were hoping that the App State Coach would be hired and take over the struggling football program after Lary Fedora got fired. Now they all sound very psssssed off about ole Mac Brown, who hasn't coached in years, being hired (influenced by the old school big $$$ boosters), so I guess they now have two premadonna (in their own mind) coaches leading their football and basketball programs;) On the flip side, I hear that the NC State Football fans fully approve of UNC hiring of Ole Mac, and are encouraging that they offer a 25 year contract. :wink:

Comment

Houston is a grand slam hire for Charlotte. I did not think they would be able to attract a proven head coach of his quality. Living in Charlotte and following the program closely, I'm really excited for them. He will make a huge difference and probably get them into bowl games in a year or two. I think he probably could have made a bigger jump at some point, but as long as he continues to excel, opportunities will always be there. Besides, as much as we focus on winning and money, they are not the only reasons to take a job.

Houston, a North Carolina native, played and coached football in his home state. Previous coaching gigs at Lenoir-Rhyne kept him close to home, and he never strayed too far from North Carolina, coaching in South Carolina and Virginia. Charlotte's proximity to home played a key role in his interest in the position.

"It is two-and-a-half hours from my parents and my family," Houston said. "And there's personal reasons as to why that's important to me."

Quote taken from this article https://www.breezejmu.org/sports/rep...ed53016d9.html

Comment

Oh I have no doubt he will do well at Charlotte. I love his honesty and his reasoning. I just don't see it as a upward move as far as the football program itself, not counting any other outside factors and reasons.

Comment

Oh I have no doubt he will do well at Charlotte. I love his honesty and his reasoning. I just don't see it as a upward move as far as the football program itself, not counting any other outside factors and reasons.
            I think he's looking at the future of the young program. UNC-Charlotte is projected and on track to be the largest (enrollment wise) university in North Carolina in the near future, presently basically on par with UNC. I understand that big time $$$ and boosters are really starting to step up. Also, the Charlotte NC area is not a hard sell for prospective talent, as long as you have the right recruiters.

Comment

Totally get that. I was surprised when I saw his name as well. I mean, FCS head coach to FBS head coach is always a significant advancement but he is really well paid at JMU and can recruit elite players. Charlotte is still very much a work in progress. I figured it would go to an FBS coordinator looking for his first head coaching job. Honestly, if this deal becomes final, Charlotte won the lottery.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Bitner View Post
                Houston is a grand slam hire for Charlotte. I did not think they would be able to attract a proven head coach of his quality. Living in Charlotte and following the program closely, I'm really excited for them. He will make a huge difference and probably get them into bowl games in a year or two. I think he probably could have made a bigger jump at some point, but as long as he continues to excel, opportunities will always be there. Besides, as much as we focus on winning and money, they are not the only reasons to take a job.

Houston, a North Carolina native, played and coached football in his home state. Previous coaching gigs at Lenoir-Rhyne kept him close to home, and he never strayed too far from North Carolina, coaching in South Carolina and Virginia. Charlotte's proximity to home played a key role in his interest in the position.

"It is two-and-a-half hours from my parents and my family," Houston said. "And there's personal reasons as to why that's important to me."

Quote taken from this article https://www.breezejmu.org/sports/rep...ed53016d9.html
                ...Not so fast my friend...the dominoes are just beginning to fall...

Comment

...Really, how many football powers or rising powers, share a name with the city that they reside? Pittsburgh, Louisville, "The U", Houston, and now Charlotte? Tough to do.

Comment

Originally posted by LR Radio guy View Post
                    ...Really, how many football powers or rising powers, share a name with the city that they reside? Pittsburgh, Louisville, "The U", Houston, and now Charlotte? Tough to do.
                    Clemson
                    UCLA
                    Boise State
                    Auburn
                    Boston College
                    Cincinnati
                    Fresno State
                    Memphis
                    San Diego State
                    UNLV
                    Tulsa

To name a few.

Comment

Great move by Houston taking the Charlotte job. Its in a great recruiting area and he's a proven winner wherever he goes. A coach at the old I-AA level, has to make the move while he's a hot name. If JMU wins 6-8 games over the next several years, he's not going to be a hot name coming from the I-AA level. So good move and believe good success will follow. If he has success, then a major college job will be waiting for him....

Comment

Originally posted by Saints Guy View Post
                        Great move by Houston taking the Charlotte job. Its in a great recruiting area and he's a proven winner wherever he goes. A coach at the old I-AA level, has to make the move while he's a hot name. If JMU wins 6-8 games over the next several years, he's not going to be a hot name coming from the I-AA level. So good move and believe good success will follow. If he has success, then a major college job will be waiting for him....
                        He is a smart man who is very good at decision making. He had a ten year 500,000 contract at JMU. Rumors are they bought that out for 1.5 and he is getting a 5 year deal with incentives around a million a year. This of course is all rumor from aUNC-C alumni. He has come along way in five years. LR 125,000 a year to one million now.

Comment

Latest rumor is that Coach Houston removed his name from contention for the uncc position. Looks like ECU may be where he ends up.

Comment

Originally posted by BearsFan View Post
                            Latest rumor is that Coach Houston removed his name from contention for the uncc position. Looks like ECU may be where he ends up.
                            Another domino has fallen in the search for East Carolina's next head coach.

Hours after the Pirates fired Scottie Montgomery on Thursday, James Madison head coach Mike Houston emerged as a top candidate to replace him, according to multiple reports. Houston, who's compiled a 37-5 record in his three seasons at James Madison, came out earlier this week and admitted publicly he'd been offered the head coaching job at Charlotte.

Reports initially indicated Charlotte and Houston had reached an agreement to make him the next head coach of the 49ers, but nothing was ever finalized. That led to Friday's big announcement from Charlotte athletics director Mike Hill, who released a statement that Houston's offer from the university had been rescinded.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                              Clemson
                              UCLA
                              Boise State
                              Auburn
                              Boston College
                              Cincinnati
                              Fresno State
                              Memphis
                              San Diego State
                              UNLV
                              Tulsa

To name a few.
                              And then there is Memphis, Fresno State, Boise State, San Jose State and San Diego State to name a few more.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X