Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sac Championship/Playoff Implications.

So Knowing that we have two separate conferences does the winner from each conference get an automatic playoff bid? Knowing that two teams from the Sac make the playoffs every year I would think each winner from each conference would get a fair shot at playoffs regardless of the outcome right? Pending a Newberry loss to Lenoir Rhyne or vice versa if one of those teams only has one loss and they don't reach the championship game would you put them over a mountain conference champ like mars hill or Emory and henry?

The championship game is between the winners of each division. In the mountain division it looks like it is between MHU, TU, and E&H at this admittedly early stage. A bit wider pool still in the piedmont division…

Comment

Its possible that two teams could come from one division. Especially if the mountain division were to lose the conference championship game. Seems like the mountain side is the weakest this season. Lots of games to go before we know though.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
        Its possible that two teams could come from one division. Especially if the mountain division were to lose the conference championship game. Seems like the mountain side is the weakest this season. Lots of games to go before we know though.
        I totally agree with this. The problem then would be that there shouldn't be a split in divisions and just remain one conference. Or future references just make the sides balanced with the competition. See how the D2 committee views this because, in reality, one could argue it's not fair to win your division and not make the playoffs. Play who is on your schedule and should be rewarded for winning the division. Now I know Piedmont has better teams than the mountain but the season is still fairly young.

Comment

There are no automatic bids to the DII football playoffs. Unless you want to count the dumb earned access portion of the selection process.

Comment

Earned access is an automatic birth I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
              Earned access is an automatic birth I believe.
              Chuck Bitner Could you give us some insight about this? Would the division winners from the Mountain and piedmont earn an automatic birth?

Comment

There are no automatic playoff births at the DII football level.

Earned access could be considered automatic if you want to look at it that way. Earned access is basically for a conference that does not have a representative in a playoff spot but is in the region top 10. For example, if the SAC had no team in a playoff spot in the region rankings but had one in the top ten then that team would bump the last qualifying team out and take their place.

Comment

Originally posted by MarsHillU2022 View Post

Chuck Bitner Could you give us some insight about this? Would the division winners from the Mountain and piedmont earn an automatic birth?
                  No. Nobody earned an automatic bid to the playoffs. Earned access isn't REALLY an auto bid in the definition most give it.

Comment

Originally posted by ironcheftvdinner View Post
                    There are no automatic playoff births at the DII football level.

Earned access could be considered automatic if you want to look at it that way. Earned access is basically for a conference that does not have a representative in a playoff spot but is in the region top 10. For example, if the SAC had no team in a playoff spot in the region rankings but had one in the top ten then that team would bump the last qualifying team out and take their place.
                    Perfect explanation. I'll make a visual example

lets say here are the regional rankings.

1 West Georgia
                    2 Valdosta
                    3 Albany
                    4 VA Union
                    5 West Florida
                    6 Delta State
                    7 Bowie
                    8 Tuskegee
                    9 Miles
                    10 Limestone

Top 7 make the playoffs. Since Limestone is in the top 10 and there are no other SAC teams in front of them, they bump the last team in the field (#7 Bowie in this example). That is how Limestone would make it in. If they won the SAC it wouldn't really matter. Division titles mean nothing for the most part too

Comment

Thank you all soo much. I really appreciate you all for making things clear for me and easy to understand. By the end of this deal, the Sac will have two teams representing them come playoffs.

Comment

Thank you all soo much. I really appreciate you all for making things clear for me and easy to understand. By the end of this deal, the Sac will have two teams representing them come playoffs.
                        Thus far...I'd be surprised w 2.

Comment

To clarify a few things:

1. A team has to be 9th or above to qualify for earned access. 10th is no longer good enough.
                          2. Whether a team is a conference champion or not has zero bearing on earned access. A team can get in by earned access without being a conference champion.
                          3. Based on what I've seen in the PSAC, losses in conference title games tend to matter less than other losses.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
                            To clarify a few things:

1. A team has to be 9th or above to qualify for earned access. 10th is no longer good enough.
                            2. Whether a team is a conference champion or not has zero bearing on earned access. A team can get in by earned access without being a conference champion.
                            3. Based on what I've seen in the PSAC, losses in conference title games tend to matter less than other losses.
                            When did the NCAA move it to 9th instead of 10th? I like it rregardles. Despite the fact I still think earned access is the dumbest rule. Thanks Ink!

Comment

You are most welcome!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X