Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So after this week's games, I've got roughly 13 teams with 2 or less total losses still vying for playoff spots:

GSC (3): Delta State, West Florida and West Georgia
    SAC (5): Newberry, Tusculum, Wingate, Lenoir-Rhyne and Mars Hill
    SIAC (3): Albany State, Benedict and Fort Valley
    CIAA (2): Virginia Union and Fayetteville State

I think that number doesn't shrink this weekend barring any upsets or a Lenoir-Rhyne loss.

West Georgia is in a must win against Delta State on the 5th. It's in Cleveland so I think the Wolves may falter.

Here's some crazy SAC chaos though. Massey projects Lenoir-Rhyne to beat Wingate this weekend, handing the Dogs their 2nd loss. HOWEVER the real fun begins on the 5th. He has Newberry losing to Wingate and Tusculum losing to Mars Hill. At this point, you would have FIVE SAC teams at 8-2/7-2 overall (remember Mars Hill has 1 D2 loss).

Comment

So then the question is how does everything fall out?

Virginia Union likely plays Fayetteville in the CIAA title game. FSU loss eliminates them, but what if they win? Does this open the door for 2 CIAA teams?
      Delta and UWF both should win out and be in.
      Benedict likely plays Tuskegee for the SIAC title, but what about Albany and Fort Valley? Albany has 1 d2 loss I think.

And then you have the SAC in all it's glory. I believe (based on Massey's simulations) that the SAC title game would be Newberry and Mars Hill based on divisional records. That would leave L-R and Tusculum playing a projected elimination game. And wingate would play Wise to end the year.

Madness fellas! Absolute madness.

I will say this though. IF West Georgia upsets Delta State, and DSU and UWF take care of business in other games, I think UWG is in as a third GSC team.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
        So then the question is how does everything fall out?

Virginia Union likely plays Fayetteville in the CIAA title game. FSU loss eliminates them, but what if they win? Does this open the door for 2 CIAA teams?
        Delta and UWF both should win out and be in.
        Benedict likely plays Tuskegee for the SIAC title, but what about Albany and Fort Valley? Albany has 1 d2 loss I think.

And then you have the SAC in all it's glory. I believe (based on Massey's simulations) that the SAC title game would be Newberry and Mars Hill based on divisional records. That would leave L-R and Tusculum playing a projected elimination game. And wingate would play Wise to end the year.

Madness fellas! Absolute madness.

I will say this though. IF West Georgia upsets Delta State, and DSU and UWF take care of business in other games, I think UWG is in as a third GSC team.
        Albany state plays Fort Valley Nov 5, the loser is out of contention for playoffs.

Comment

This is what I love about D2 football!

Comment

Originally posted by SkegeeGrad151 View Post

Albany state plays Fort Valley Nov 5, the loser is out of contention for playoffs.
            Thanks! I think I overlooked that game.

Comment

Let’s not forget one thing, it really doesn’t matter what happens with LR, they are going to get in the playoffs because they always get the benefit of the doubt by the d2 committee.

Comment

That's not how the committee works, buddy. ^^^ It's almost all statistics based, we had this conversation every day at the end of last regular season.

Comment

So if Wingate beats Newberry and LR wins out wouldn’t LR play in the championship game against Tusculum or Mars Hill? I also doubt if the # 1 seed had played the 8 seed the last several years the one seed still would have won their region 15 out of 24.

Comment

To the one who thinks LR gets preferred treatment. A few years ago LR had an identical record as Mars Hill LR beat MH by over thirty points but MH went to the PO instead of LR. Don’t remember the year but it was around twelve years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearhof View Post
                      So if Wingate beats Newberry and LR wins out wouldn’t LR play in the championship game against Tusculum or Mars Hill? I also doubt if the # 1 seed had played the 8 seed the last several years the one seed still would have won their region 15 out of 24.
                      My understanding is they are going by divisional record and not conference record. I'll double check and find out tomorrow. If the Bears, Dogs and Wolves all finish 4-1 in the Piedmont, who knows.

And I doubt most years the 8 seed even really deserved to be in the postseason. Heck the 7's aren't competitive most of the time.
                      Last edited by canadarican; 10-27-2022, 06:09 PM.

Comment

To the one who thinks LR gets preferred treatment. A few years ago LR had an identical record as Mars Hill LR beat MH by over thirty points but MH went to the PO instead of LR. Don’t remember the year but it was around twelve years ago.
                        Was that the year that Jonas Randolph won the Harlon Hill? If I remember correctly Mars Hill got the nod because they had a better record than LR and Mars Hill had a higher SOS. I was actually at that game because a friend was getting married in Hickory. Mark Richt's son was the quarterback for the Lions. He was a jackass from what my sister told me (she went to Mars Hill). L-R absolutely refused to let Randolph beat them and I want to say he left the game early injured because he only had a dozen carries. But ti wouldn't have mattered. The Bears bodybagged em!!!

The other thing is Head to head doesn't really matter unless two teams are next to each other in the regional rankings. That's basically common knowledge from selection committee. And since Mars Hill was the 2 seed that year, L-R must've not been close enough in the regional rankings that their head to head beatdown of the Lions didn't matter.

Comment

All this playoff talk brings back some bad memories. I am still not over the absolute highway robbery of 2007. That was more fixed than a WWE match and Christ himself can't convince me otherwise.

Comment

So I found the year was 2011 and we both were 6-1 in conference and we were 7-3 and they were 8-3 and they had the marquee player Jonas.

Comment

So I found the year was 2011 and we both were 6-1 in conference and we were 7-3 and they were 8-3 and they had the marquee player Jonas.
                              They were 8-2. Playoff loss made them 8-3. See my above post my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by canadarican View Post
                                The other thing is Head to head doesn't really matter unless two teams are next to each other in the regional rankings. That's basically common knowledge from selection committee.
                                I think it has more to do with how close they are than whether there's a team between them. Last year the second SR2 ranking had West Florida a spot ahead of West Georgia even though UWG had the head-to-head.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X