Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited for Spring Season

As much as I love the Fall, Spring might be my favorite time to be on campus. Excited to see how the Bear lacrosse team fares after the national championship win last year, lax really is becoming the second biggest event on campus and I'm all here for it. Can't beat a triple header baseball-softball-lacrosse Saturday on the Moretz Sports Complex. Add in spring football under Coach Socha and it's looking like I'll have a busy calendar.

Can Anyone provide an update as to how things are developing at LRU? Yes, as far as I am concerned I am excited again for the spring practice season and preparation for the coming season.
    I again have every confidence that COACHING will be a high spot for LR, not the weakest link that it was for the past 5 years.

Having said all that, let me add a little bit of clarity. My high school, winner of two straight state championships and certainly favored to be in the hunt for two more, has had two young men sign and report to Virginia Tech. One that has committed to Washington and Lee, and two others that have been offered multiple D2 offers. These two are just one inch short of D1 status, even though one of these was being recruited by Duke until the coaching change.

Now, one of these two was offered something by LR by the former staff, but when these two players are receiving full ride offers from other top level D2 schools and at least one D1 FCS team, why would they come to LR for something significantly less? Both of these two players are two time ALL State Players.

I hope this new Coaching Staff has enough confidence in their ability to identify real talent and offer something approaching full ride offers, rather than what Jacobs practice was, that was apparently, offer enough opportunity that they could sign 30 plus players in hopes that one or two or three of them would stick around and develop into real players.

While I am at it, let me share one more item; UNC Full Ride Quarterback Jefferson Boaz has entered the Portal. He only set practically every passing record in the state as a Senior at East Surry, threw for over 600 yards in the State Championship game his senior year, and has sat behind Sam Howell and Drake Maye at Carolina. He has two years of eligibility left.

Want LR to go to the National Championship? If we get Boaz, that is where we would be.

Comment

I heard things were going well with Coach Socha from one of the former players over the weekend. It is interesting you mention the level of scholarship LR is offering some of these kids, they offered the outstanding kid from Robbinsville a preferred walk on spot who had multiple D1 offers and is going to Yale. I don't understand that or missing out on local talent such as the kids you are mentioning. Heard Boaz is going to Stephen F Austin, he was a great player for East Surry with the Gosnell brothers.

Comment

I appreciate the input LRBearsfan. The system Jacob's used was just plan insulting to the really good players and to the high schools they represented. This was not just my opinion, in my visiting with various high school coaches, it was standard opinion that Jacob's seriousness as a recruiter (and by extension LR's) was just laughable as not being serious. Not a one offered a position of "LR is the place to be considered" by the players that were next level.

I sincerely hope the new staff will put LR back on the path of being the Number One D2 school in recruiting the very top players.

As to Boaz, I know that it would be a pipe dream for him to come to LR. But I could hope and dream.

Comment

BearFan1, I agree 100%, it would be great to see Boaz at LR. I really enjoyed watching them destroy Tarboro in the state championship his senior year. I also went to the Reidsville game that year where Stephen Gosnell took over and pulled out the win, incredibly talented players. I just follow good football by the way- not an ES diehard fan :).

Comment

While I am guilty of talking about Mt Airy Football a lot, I know, but it is true, I am actually a high school football fan more than just a Mt Airy fan. I follow a lot of schools and pull for the them when they are not playing MY Bears.

The game of all games would have been that East Surry team with Boaz and Gosnell vs this past years Mt Airy Bears and there absolute shut down defense. Both could score on anybody at any time. That is a game that would be the Dream Game of a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by BearFan1 View Post
              Can Anyone provide an update as to how things are developing at LRU? Yes, as far as I am concerned I am excited again for the spring practice season and preparation for the coming season.
              I again have every confidence that COACHING will be a high spot for LR, not the weakest link that it was for the past 5 years.

Having said all that, let me add a little bit of clarity. My high school, winner of two straight state championships and certainly favored to be in the hunt for two more, has had two young men sign and report to Virginia Tech. One that has committed to Washington and Lee, and two others that have been offered multiple D2 offers. These two are just one inch short of D1 status, even though one of these was being recruited by Duke until the coaching change.

Now, one of these two was offered something by LR by the former staff, but when these two players are receiving full ride offers from other top level D2 schools and at least one D1 FCS team, why would they come to LR for something significantly less? Both of these two players are two time ALL State Players.

I hope this new Coaching Staff has enough confidence in their ability to identify real talent and offer something approaching full ride offers, rather than what Jacobs practice was, that was apparently, offer enough opportunity that they could sign 30 plus players in hopes that one or two or three of them would stick around and develop into real players.

While I am at it, let me share one more item; UNC Full Ride Quarterback Jefferson Boaz has entered the Portal. He only set practically every passing record in the state as a Senior at East Surry, threw for over 600 yards in the State Championship game his senior year, and has sat behind Sam Howell and Drake Maye at Carolina. He has two years of eligibility left.

Want LR to go to the National Championship? If we get Boaz, that is where we would be.
              Hey Richard, I've wanted to say this for a while now but you seriously have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. The LR coaching staff was given a list of 7 names from Coach Adkins. 2 of them were not even recruitable (Deric Dandy and Tyler "Mase" Mason who both committed to Virginia Tech). Ian Gallimore committed to Washington and Lee in early September. He was 5'11 205. You want him to play QB at LR? I'd hope not. LR looked at him as a a potential down the road LB or SPEC but after he committed to W&L and speaking with Coach Adkins, LR moved on.

Out of the remaining 4 players, 2, maybe 3 were good enough to play at LR (Coach Adkins does a very good job at giving a reasonable list of who can play at the next level). Out of those 2/3 players, 2 were offered the chance to play at LR. 1 of those was Spencer Baldwin. He is 6'6 and 245 pounds. Good frame. Has the possibility of putting on weight. Moves decent. Is physical. Not much pass pro experience so he would need some development. Other than LR, he had 1 other opportunity that was also a PWO.

The other player was Mario Revels. He was labeled as an ATH by the LR coaching staff because of his versatility (playing WR,DB, RB). Talented player but was not dominate at any of these positions. His best fit was probably at CB. He had offers from Elizabeth City State (D2 went 3-7), University of Olivet (D3 NON-scholarship went 4-6), Concord University (D2 went 1-10), Bluefield University (NAIA went 5-5), Catawba College (D2 went 5-6) and Lenoir Rhyne (PWO). His top 3 choices were LR, Catawba and Concord. He committed to Concord after the LR coaching staff had all left. My question for you is which of these schools would you compare to LR? ECSU? Concord? Catawba? If LRU is as great as you say it is then why would LR be recruiting the SAME CALIBER of player as these schools? If LR missed this kid then so did Wingate, Mars Hill, Limestone and every other good D2 and FCS program that goes by Mount Airy. But LR didn't miss him he was offered a chance to play at LR. Western NC was heavily recruited by LR and combed through diligently.

So Richard, you just let me know what "TOP LEVEL D2 schools and FCS team" offered these 2 players. Thanks and have a blessed day.

Comment

Originally posted by LRBearsfan View Post
                I heard things were going well with Coach Socha from one of the former players over the weekend. It is interesting you mention the level of scholarship LR is offering some of these kids, they offered the outstanding kid from Robbinsville a preferred walk on spot who had multiple D1 offers and is going to Yale. I don't understand that or missing out on local talent such as the kids you are mentioning. Heard Boaz is going to Stephen F Austin, he was a great player for East Surry with the Gosnell brothers.
                LRBearsfan, I agree with you 100%. Cuttler Adams was a very good player. He was very fast (ran a 4.49 or something like that at the WNC combine). He deserved athletic $$$ from LR but that was a situation of being full at the RB position. You have to keep in mind that scholarship dollars are set at a certain amount for each position group. LR already had 2 RB's committed and were not able to take another on a big dollar amount. He would have been a great get for LR but it just couldn't work financially even though some athletic scholarship may have been provided to him.

While we are on the topic of RB... Bearsfan1... Richard... My man... Why do you think we have no RB's on the roster? Are you not happy with 2 RB's rushing for over 6.6 yards a carry? Do you not like breaking rushing records? If McGee stays he will be the ALL TIME LEADING RUSHER in LR HISTORY. But that's not good enough for ya huh? Interesting. What about the 21st best rushing offense in the country? No? What about the 19th best offense in the country? Between McGee, Turner-Knox, and Dillard, you probably have one of the deepest RB rooms in the country. If Boyd can become eligible... Just wait for a SHOW.
                Last edited by FootballCoach; 03-04-2024, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Coach, I really want to thank you for making every single point I have said about Jacobs and his crew. I know you think you were "blasting" me, but perhaps you should re-read what all I have said and then read what you have said and you might just find how much you verified every little thing I have said.

I can not say it feels good to be completely correct about Jacob's because he had such an opportunity to do great things at LR. But the situation corrected itself and now LR can look to a very bright future.

What I hear from players on the field is that the current coaches are quickly moving in the right direction.

Again thanks.

Comment

Seen a few references to some high school football teams in NC, and being a fan, I've had the chance to see a lot of games across the state. From what I've seen over the years, from top to bottom, and based on consistency, overall the 910 has the best talent and toughest teams.

Comment

Coach, I really want to thank you for making every single point I have said about Jacobs and his crew. I know you think you were "blasting" me, but perhaps you should re-read what all I have said and then read what you have said and you might just find how much you verified every little thing I have said.

I can not say it feels good to be completely correct about Jacob's because he had such an opportunity to do great things at LR. But the situation corrected itself and now LR can look to a very bright future.

What I hear from players on the field is that the current coaches are quickly moving in the right direction.

Again thanks.
                      Yeah… I’m not following you in this thought process at all. You’re just confirming how far out there and beyond hope of any actual football knowledge or logical thought you are.

Comment

Football Coach, Since we both are LR fans and supporters, I would be happy to meet up sometime and over a nice friendly cup of coffee discuss our respective points of view and why your "blasting me" actually confirmed every little thing I have said about Jacobs.

Maybe we could met up at the Spring Game or (since you know who I am, something I do not try to hide) after tax season we could just meet for a glass of sweet ice tea and chat, as friends and mutual supporters of LR.

Comment

So, to settle this spat, why don't you two just meet up at the Dawg Pound Hot dog place near LR and possibly share a footlong, who knows y'all may just end up meeting in the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle74 View Post
                            So, to settle this spat, why don't you two just meet up at the Dawg Pound Hot dog place near LR and possibly share a footlong, who knows y'all may just end up meeting in the middle.

Haha I’d love it. Nothing like settling a dispute in the parking lot. Completely down with this. Lmk when.

Comment

Football Coach, Since we both are LR fans and supporters, I would be happy to meet up sometime and over a nice friendly cup of coffee discuss our respective points of view and why your "blasting me" actually confirmed every little thing I have said about Jacobs.

Maybe we could met up at the Spring Game or (since you know who I am, something I do not try to hide) after tax season we could just meet for a glass of sweet ice tea and chat, as friends and mutual supporters of LR.
                              Just let me know when you are free. Busy time of year in the tax world. I get off at 5 and I’m free on weekends

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X