Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SAU @ OBU

Fair point about the trend.

However, you missed my larger point that some of that Scoring Defense stat is due to opposing offenses' miscues--that does impact the stat.

Actually, Ouachita has only played one of the top 3 scoring offenses--who, as I pointed out, made miscues that had nothing to do with the Ouachita defense. Ouachita plays the other top 3 scoring offense this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Armo Wood View Post

However, you missed my larger point that some of that Scoring Defense stat is due to opposing offenses' miscues--that does impact the stat.

Actually, Ouachita has only played one of the top 3 scoring offenses--who, as I pointed out, made miscues that had nothing to do with the Ouachita defense. Ouachita plays the other top 3 scoring offense this weekend.

Comment

Comment

Exactly, just like it's confusing to understand that offensive miscues impact the Scoring Defense stat.

Comment

Originally posted by walnut100 View Post
            I really hate the persecution complex my fellow Ouachita fans on here have; it makes us look really bad as a fan base.

The fact of the matter is that the GAC doesn't have any historic powerhouse programs, the school populations are relatively tiny compared to some schools in other conferences, and frankly Arkansas and Oklahoma have small state populations. This all means that there are likely to be less people in the D2 Football world who know/care about schools from the GAC, which leaves a larger burden of proof for us all to leave it on the field if we want national respect. Harding has established that more than anyone with a deep playoff run. Henderson and Ouachita have done enough by keeping games close against big name schools to help legitimize the GAC as a conference to where people from other places don't go "why are they wasting a playoff slot on them?" That's about all we can ask for for now from a national perspective: win more and get more respect. And with Ouachita ranked #2 in the Regional Rankings and #4 in both major media polls, I'd say we have plenty there, so I'm very satisfied.

As far as intra-conference respect goes, from say the Harding posters or Armo, I usually agree with them when it comes to their criticisms of OBU's team. We have deficiencies which make the playoffs a scary proposition. Harding very well could beat us in a rematch if hypothetically they run the table and get a slot. Other teams in the playoffs are going to come in hard and play on a level this Ouachita squad has really only seen during that Harding game so far. We got eaten alive in the trenches in our last two playoff games and had to rely on skill players making big plays to stay in it.

The point I'm driving at with this overly wordy post is that nobody here thinks Ouachita is a bad team. They just recognize that we probably aren't the best in the nation. They have stats that back that up along with tangential evidence. And that's ok. That's why we play the games and leave it on the field instead of keeping it a purely hypothetical game of numbers. Just try to recognize guys that it all comes back to a national picture, and we are an underdog in that arena. There's nothing wrong with it at all, I fully embrace being the underdog. Makes it so much better when you prove to the world you can win inspite of everything. That's all.
            What a breath of fresh air you always are.

Comment

Comment

1) I'm sorry, but trying to suggest that the Ouachita defense actually caused the bad Center-QB exchange and the illegal motion penalty is just plain ridiculous--in extremis.

2) I understand what you are saying about big plays, however, HU's offense isn't designed for big plays. It's designed to move the ball by pounding the rock bits at a time, moving the chains and killing clock. That's exactly what they did.

Comment

1) I'm sorry, but trying to suggest that the Ouachita defense actually caused the bad Center-QB exchange and the illegal motion penalty is just plain ridiculous--in extremis.

2) I understand what you are saying about big plays, however, HU's offense isn't designed for big plays. It's designed to move the ball by pounding the rock bits at a time, moving the chains and killing clock. That's exactly what they did.
                  Read that again chief. Never said they caused it. Said they at least put them in situations where mistakes could be made.

Have you ever watched Harding's offense?? They get big plays all the time. You don't score as much as they do without big plays. I still have nightmares about some of the big plays they hit against us. Westbrook and Luckett are seared into my memory

Doesn't really matter, OBU beat Harding and is 9-0 and in a prime spot to win the GAC and most importantly beat that school across the street again.

Comment

Originally posted by OBUGrad View Post
                    Read that again chief. Never said they caused it. Said they at least put them in situations where mistakes could be made.

Have you ever watched Harding's offense?? They get big plays all the time. You don't score as much as they do without big plays. I still have nightmares about some of the big plays they hit against us. Westbrook and Luckett are seared into my memory

Doesn't really matter, OBU beat Harding and is 9-0 and in a prime spot to win the GAC and most importantly beat that school across the street again.

Comment

• Re: SAU @ OBU

Yeah but he did it one year...seemed like Westbrook and Luckett did it for a decade.

Comment

Yeah but he did it one year...seemed like Westbrook and Luckett did it for a decade.
                        Or it's just given me heartburn for a decade.

Comment

1) Never said "you said." I said you suggested, i.e., implied, in your statement: Back pedal all you want, but you said it and all that it implies.

2) Again you're stretching trying to imply that Ouachita's defense deep in its own red zone had Harding's offense right where the D wanted them.

3) I never said Harding's offense couldn't make big plays, I said it isn't designed for big plays--big difference.

Might want to take your own advice about re-reading bub.

Yes, you guys are primed to win a 4th GAC title, never said you weren't. Again, a GAC title and success in the GAC doesn't guarantee success in the POs.
                          Last edited by Armo Wood; 10-30-2018, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Renner is about to slam the brakes on that GAC title.

Comment

• Comment

Okay, not arguing, but if your point wasn't that the Scoring Defense stat is both impressive and an indication of being able to make a deep PO run, then what was it?

And there you go proving my point in my earlier post (#82) about trying to put words in my mouth--just stop, it's unbecoming of you. BTW, water's wet, lava's hot, methane smells, the sky's blue and Fred likes Trump--so what?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X