Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 1 Recap

Watched the Harding v. ECU Game live - I thought it was a very sloppy game by both teams. Harding fumbled the ball quite a bit (just like last years home opener), and had a chance to jump out 14-0 EARLY but let one loose going in for a score. Who would have thought Harding would have tossed 3 scores! If I’m an ECU fan, I would have serious concerns about the ECU offense. Their QB took a pounding, and was running for his life dang near every play. Him taking that type of pounding was evident when he had to leave the game on 4th down, leading to the backup coming in and dropping the snap at was a crucial drive. 161 total yards and 2.8 yard/play average is not going to beat a lot of teams. But it is early. I thought that ECU did a good job of containing the run (basing off the fact they gave up 219 yards and limited big plays on the ground) but how are you going to give up 3 passing TD’s. For the amount of returning starters on the ECU team, I found them very underwhelming.

Watched the end of the Tech v. Southeastern Game - Have regrets for not tuning into this one sooner. Sounded like a great game and the best game of the night. Without watching really much of it, the difference, from my opinion within the box score was Southeastern going 4/4 in the red zone to Tech’s 2/4. Both teams were miserable on 3rd down, but Tech did go 3/4 on 4th to Southeastern’s 0/3. I’ll try and catch the replay online sometime this weekend. The Savage Storm have a dangerous passing attack that’s for sure. I would guess that Tech surprised a lot of people in this game.

OBU v. OKBU - Didn’t watch, but OBU ran for 400+ yards, yet completed 2/16 passes. For the Hype (I remember a previous poster this summer comparing that kid to Josh Allen), 2/16 is pretty disappointing. OKBU put up some numbers and intrigued by this new QB they have.

HSU v. Southwestern - I didn’t catch this game live, but did watch the replay. HSU has a dual threat at QB and he could be a dangerous player with his feet. Underwhelming in the pass game as they only completed 7 passes and threw one TD. Southwestern, I don’t know what to think. They dropped more passes than they caught and really struggled to get anything going offensively. I counted two dropped touchdowns. Southwestern’s OL put their QB in the same situation as the ECU OL did, forcing the QB to run for his life. Is Southwestern that bad on offense or are the Reddies that good on defense? I envision a long year for the Bulldogs.

UAM v. SNU - Didn’t watch.

SAU v. Northwestern - Is this SAU offense for real? Their sports information department clearly isn’t because they still haven’t posted anything at the time of this post.

Overall, I’m glad GAC football is back. As a fan of the Natty State Teams, I was thrilled to see the Natty State almost execute a clean sweep. C’mon Tech!

I was able to watch some and listen to the Ouachita/OBU game live. The weather was horrendous. It was pouring rain and they even had a lightening delay at one point. I know going 2/16 is dreadful but given the conditions I think that’s okay. Not good or great but okay. I can’t wait to see Ouachita at home next game and truly judge how good the passing game is then.

Comment

HSU will certainly want to do better than 7-19 passing, but they still had several explosive passing plays and threw for 180 yards on those seven completions. The Reddies definitely made a concerted effort to run the ball. That should be a strength this year with the QBs legs, a deep RB room and a veteran OL.

I thought HSU did a nice job of bottling up SWOSU on the ground. The Bulldogs really only moved the ball through the air. Their QB is a good looking kid, big and can run. He made some good throws but also missed some he probably wants back. I agree that his receivers didn’t help him much. Will be interesting to see how SWOSU does this year.

Comment

Originally posted by tubaguy08 View Post
        I was able to watch some and listen to the Ouachita/OBU game live. The weather was horrendous. It was pouring rain and they even had a lightening delay at one point. I know going 2/16 is dreadful but given the conditions I think that’s okay. Not good or great but okay. I can’t wait to see Ouachita at home next game and truly judge how good the passing game is then.
        The OKBU kid threw for 400 yards and three TDs in the same conditions

Comment

Good analysis NattyFan. I agree it was a sloppy game for Harding. Not just offense (4 fumbles - three lost) but special teams had some uncharacteristic blunders. Over the next 8 days I think the coaches will clean up some of the stuff. Good news is the defense is solid again this year especially against the RPO schemes. Offense is going to need to step it up big time however, especially if we’re going to stay in the games against Ouachita, Henderson, SEOKSU and Southern Arkansas. The sophomores/red shirt freshman we have playing QB and FB are going to struggle early.

Comment

Originally posted by ReddieMade View Post

T. Knight clearly never read Gruden’s “Do You Love Football” or he would have had his QB prepared for throwing wet footballs.

Comment

Got to watch some of the Ouach Bapt vs Okla Bapt game, and Harms was extremely underwhelming.

For the Rangers.. Offense will put up points if QB can stay up and Defense... we will try again next year.

Comment

Here's my write-up of the Harding–East Central game: https://old.reddit.com/r/CFB/comment..._central_2912/

Comment

He played well….but lots of that was against backups after the game was 42-12.

No excuse for Ouachita. That passing was abysmal. Some bad throws, 3 drops, and several throw aways from pressure. Plenty of time to fix it. They need to find a go to receiver.

Comment

Had to take some time to put my thoughts together.

SWOSU VS HSU-
                    I’m not sure what to think about SWOSU after week one. Offense committed to trying to run the ball, to the tune of 26 carries for a whopping 66 yards. Play calling was horrendous. SWOSU QB very talented, so there is hope there. SWOSU defense looked like a lot better squad overall, but the Henderson QB tore their scheme up on the ground. Reddies defense seems legit. Those kids can play. Wasn’t very impressed with the Henderson offense tbh. Their QB is a great athlete, and will move the chains with his feet, but most of his completions were him saying a prayer, throwing the ball into double coverage, and getting his prayer answered lol. I can see them winning 8+ games again this year, but the QB will have to develop a lot more as a passer. Might be another long year for me as a Bulldog fan.

Harding vs ECU-
                    The result went almost exactly how I thought it would, but the way Harding did it was not expected at all. Both teams have very good defenses, but I have much more faith in Harding getting their offense figured out than I do ECU.

OBU vs OKBU-
                    Ouachita Baptist might be in trouble this year if they don’t get a QB. I’m not one to hate on a player, but that was the worst performance I’ve seen from a QB for a while. If they play a good run defense, they will be hard pressed to win that game. OBU wore the OKBU defense out with power, (I’m quite familiar with how that feels unfortunately lolol) and ended up breaking their will. OBU will be a playoff team if they get QB position figured out, will probably go 7-4 if they don’t.
                    OKBU is not going to be as good as they were last year, but their program isn’t going to take a massive step back, which is good to see. I saw a lot of positives out of this Bison team.

Arkansas Tech vs Southeastern-
                    This was a dang good football game, and I was impressed with ATU. This years team is big, athletic, and physical. I think they will definitely make the biggest jump in wins this year. Southeastern has learned how to win close football games, which was good to see. They have developed that winners mentality. They are a tough, fast, physical team as well. I’m pumped to watch the game in Searcy next Saturday. Should be a great one.

UAM vs SNU-
                    SNU looked dwarfed by UAM. SNU does not have the size or speed to compete right now, but they play hard. Bless their hearts. UAM is typical UAM. Their QB will win or lose them games once again.

NWOSU vs SAU-
                    This game was close for a little bit, but SAU clearly has way more depth at every position. SAU offense looks great, but it’s the NWOSU defense. Unfortunately SAU probably won’t see a real test again next week either. From what I saw, I was impressed, and interested to see just how good this SAU team is.

Comment

Originally posted by OBUGrad View Post

He played well….but lots of that was against backups after the game was 42-12.

No excuse for Ouachita. That passing was abysmal. Some bad throws, 3 drops, and several throw aways from pressure. Plenty of time to fix it. They need to find a go to receiver.
                      Most of Ouachita starters were still in those last drives. Linebackers, some on the DL, Hayes. Even TJ Cole was in the 4th. Games on YouTube as well. Very easy to go back and see.
                      We had plenty of chances on Ouachita side of the ball. Just gotta be consistent and finish drives.

Comment

I was at the Southeastern/ATU game and it was an amazing game. ATU is a much improved team from last season. Their QB is a very good runner. He has a strong arm and made a few good throws but his strength is definately his running. Their running game overall is very good. Their run defense was pretty stout. Only really allowed one big 64 yd td run.Their pass defense was a different story. Southeastern had some struggles on defense at times giving up quite a few big runs. But it seemed like they started to gel and tighten it up as the game went on and had a huge forced fumble on the 1 or 2 yard line in the second overtime to seal the deal. Southeastern took a little while to get going on offense. Never did really do much in the run game other than 1 long 64 yard td run by Wheeler. I think that will improve as the season goes on when the two new offensive lineman master all the run blocking schemes. The passing game was pretty lethal. 379 yds and that is after having 2 long pass completions called back because of a holding and a hands to the face penalty. Those 2 plays were for about 60 yards which would have given them well over 400 yards passing. Southeaster QB Hatley was 34/46 for 379 yards 1 TD two 2pt conversion passes 1 pick and a 73.9 completion %. The Southeastern WR's are gonna be trouble they have 4 legit dudes that are gonna be a nightmare for most defenses. Southeastern also had an amazing kickoff return for a TD. Was an incredible run for like 93 yards. I thought the kid was gonna go down 2-3 times but he just kept breaking tackle after tackle and switching directions. It was a great run back. Southeastern also completed 2 two point conversion passes. They made a lot of high pressure huge plays when they needed them. The big one was the final drive. Down by 3 pts. 1:15 on the clock only 1 timeout left starting on their own 3 they drove down to the 2 yd line with .08 on the clock for the game tying FG to send it into overtime. I thought I was gonna have a stroke, Was an incredible drive. Then in first OT both defenses held the offenses to FG's. Second OT Southeastern scored a short TD from the 1 with a quick trap to the FB. Then ATU drove it down to the 1 or 2. They gave it to their big back where he was immediately stymied by a Southeastern defender who knocked the ball loose and a Southeastern LB fell on it to seal the deal. Great Great game!
                        Last edited by Baldsexy; 09-03-2022, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OBU-BisonFan View Post

Most of Ouachita starters were still in those last drives. Linebackers, some on the DL, Hayes. Even TJ Cole was in the 4th. Games on YouTube as well. Very easy to go back and see.
                          We had plenty of chances on Ouachita side of the ball. Just gotta be consistent and finish drives.
                          Cole has 2 carry’s in the 4th quarter. He wasn’t exactly featured.

Comment

We all know the early weeks are hard for any option team. I had a coach in highschool who ran the option for east central a couple decades ago and even then, any time off deteriorated their play. Harding’s dline has a cat that’s new to the program that just from one game- might be one of the best Dlineman I’ve seen. He’s going to have to prove his toughness and determination but he was fun to watch. Things will get cleaned up on offense too. It’s all about pride, whether you will protect the ball. I’m interested to see how much pride the backfield for Harding has going into week 2.

Comment

Originally posted by OBUGrad View Post

Cole has 2 carry’s in the 4th quarter. He wasn’t exactly featured.
                              Due to the fact we had the ball from time of possession and recovering onside kick (context is key). The biggest thing out of all of this is that fact that Ouachita never pulled their starters. You are trying to reassure yourself of Ouachita and dimish the numbers wolfe did on y’all with giving false information. I even rewatched it. Every single one of your all conference Defense players played the entire 4th: from 42-12 to 42-32.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X