Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 6 Discussion

As Week 6 comes to a close, had a couple blowouts, beatdowns, underwhelming performances, and the lone winless team is winless no more. Lets hear about them.

ECU came ready to play. Besides Ouachita, they are the hottest team in the conference. 1/2 way through the season, conference does not look like I thought it would

Comment

They took it to HSU. ECU created some turnovers and the ECU passing game got after the HSU secondary, throwing for almost 300 yards. HSU got in position to score in the redzone but just couldn’t get it done. ECU defense will be the best defense the high scoring OBU offense will see the rest of the season.

Comment

I watched a little bit of all of them. Here’s my take:

OBU is rolling. I don’t see anyone coming close to stopping them. They just need to focus on staying sharp and not getting anybody hurt heading into the playoffs. They need to start focusing on how to defend against the likes of Ferris State, Grand Valley State, Pittsburg State, etc.

Harding had good day. Took care of business. With so many young players in offensive and defensive backfields I’m kind of impressed with how well they’re doing. Big games for them coming up are Henderson, Southwestern OK and ATU.

Congratulations to the Orange Tigers. They had a strong game against HSU. I didn’t get to watch any of the game except 4th quarter. Did they dominate HSU in the first half like they did in the second?

NW vs UAM - What a track meet? I watched the last few minutes of the game. It looked like a 7-on-7 tournament. Did anyone get a defensive stop all day?

ATU vs OK Baptist - I watched most of the first half. ATU looked like they could do what ever they wanted,

At this point I think Harding’s two toughest games remaining are Southwestern and ATU.

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
          I watched a little bit of all of them. Here’s my take:

OBU is rolling. I don’t see anyone coming close to stopping them. They just need to focus on staying sharp and not getting anybody hurt heading into the playoffs. They need to start focusing on how to defend against the likes of Ferris State, Grand Valley State, Pittsburg State, etc.

Harding had good day. Took care of business. With so many young players in offensive and defensive backfields I’m kind of impressed with how well they’re doing. Big games for them coming up are Henderson, Southwestern OK and ATU.

Congratulations to the Orange Tigers. They had a strong game against HSU. I didn’t get to watch any of the game except 4th quarter. Did they dominate HSU in the first half like they did in the second?

NW vs UAM - What a track meet? I watched the last few minutes of the game. It looked like a 7-on-7 tournament. Did anyone get a defensive stop all day?

ATU vs OK Baptist - I watched most of the first half. ATU looked like they could do what ever they wanted,

At this point I think Harding’s two toughest games remaining are Southwestern and ATU.
          I wouldn’t jump too far ahead on OBU looking forward. They still have to win the next 5 games. They have to play ECU and their defense is playing well. They have to play HSU in the rivalry game, and anything can happen in that type of game.

As for Harding, they get HSU next week. HSU is pretty good against the run and should match up well, but can’t stop the pass and Harding could get some surprising passing TD’s in that one. HSU should be the last tough game Harding has to face.

UAM gets the award for losing to the lone winless team. Looks like UAM missed a FG to tie at the end. I didn’t have much interest in tuning into that one. For those who did tune in, was it as OldBison described?

Comment

Any of the bottom 10 can beat each other. I'm not sure if they can beat Ouachita or Harding.

Comment

Originally posted by Inkblot View Post
              Any of the bottom 10 can beat each other. I'm not sure if they can beat Ouachita or Harding.
              Those bottom 10 are battling for bowl games, and to be the spoiler now.

Comment

What OBU is doing right now on offense is pretty impressive. HU game is an anomaly. Both teams seem to know exactly what the other is thinking. So hard to get a great gauge of what’s reality. If OBU continues to play like this, I think they can win a couple post season games.

I still can’t figure out what I think about HU. They’re good. But don’t know how good right now.

Comment

In the past trying to make picks for who will win GAC football games was mostly consistent in who are the better teams. At times someone will sneak up and scratch out a win but pretty much it was OBU, HU,HSU and SAU generally getting the upper hand in picks from the Arkansas contingent and ECU, OkBU and SEO being the more recent likely to win Oklahoma teams. Everyone else fell into the "beat each other and fight for that middle pack" ranking.

Now this year it is all topsy turvy! Like most comments here OBU and HU will have tough moments but will finish out the year by winning the next five games. HSU and ESU will lose at least two more and the rest of the teams will fight to say "wait until next year". Mentioned earlier in this thread was the comment that OBU has three players who will be back for two more year and HU has a bunch of young players who are contributing now. Both programs just reload for each year so expect them to top the conference for some time down the road. Most of the time it really does come down to which one of those two teams beats the other will be the one on top of the conference, the loser being in 2nd place with a possible other team in second, then two teams battling for 3rd place and the rest is anyone's guess.

In the region the MIAA is undergoing a power shift, the top tier of the GLIAC and GLVC look about the same as always. Davenport will finish 3rd in the the GLIAC with Ferris and Grand Valley sitting 1-2. In the GLVC Indianapolis should pull out and be the one lone representative in the regional rankings. It will be interesting to see what shapes out in the next two weeks and then how the regional rankings reveal who will be the teams sitting in playoff positions.

My top seven picks for the regional rankings (in conference order, not numerical order) are OBU and HU, Grand Valley and Ferris, Indianapolis, Pitt State and Nebraska-Kearney. What are your thoughts?

I'm also working on details how silo conference scheduling for the GAC and MIAA can be removed and teams would still be able to travel less into other conferences for games than the current travel time and expense for staying in conference each year. Yes, the 12 team GAC and MIAA conferences would not play each of their current conference teams annually, but boy would it open up for some great regional action. Don't have a timeframe but am working on that project.

Comment

BisonFan,

Look forward to see what you come up with. I think we’re all assuming the MIAA and GAC will have at least 2 representatives each in the playoffs. With how things are shaping up in the GLIAC I think it’s possible they have 3 representatives in the SR3 bracket which means the MIAA or the GAC only get in one representative because of silo scheduling never having a SOS greater than .500. IMO the only thing that will convince the MIAA and GAC to end silo scheduling will be if they consistently start getting only 1 team in the playoffs.

Comment

There are several moving pieces to whether or not the GLIAC gets 3 teams in. The UIndy-Saginaw game this week is one of the pieces. Davenport's last three games are at Saginaw Valley, at Ferris, and home against Grand Valley, are some additional pieces. A 2-loss Saginaw or Davenport should have a better SOS than any 2-loss GAC or 2-loss MIAA team.

I would point out that Kearney still has to play NW Missouri, so no guarantees at this moment that the MIAA will get two teams in.

As for the GAC, I certainly think Henderson is capable of wrecking Harding's playoff hopes. Keep in mind that since the GAC began, Henderson is 5-1 against Harding in Searcy. Even the one win Harding had against Henderson (2019) was 14-13. On paper, Harding is certainly the better team, but defensively they have looked a bit sluggish the past three games. If the offense continues to play well and the defense gets back to playing like they did the first three weeks, the Bisons will roll. If the Harding D continues to play like they have the last three weeks, Henderson will make a game out of it and history hasn't been kind to the Bisons in close games against the Reddies in Searcy.

Ouachita...WOW, this is the most dominant rushing attack I can recall in a long time from them. The o-line play especially has been great in pushing back d-lines and creating running lanes. I agree that Harms isn't quite the hype he was made out to be. The fact is, Ouachita's pass game is not the sling-it-around-the-yard the stats would have anyone believe. It is a lot of jet sweep shovel passes, quick hits to the flat, underneath routes, etc., basically a lot of low-risk/no risk passing, but the Tigers not only make it work, but make it pay, and it compliments their run game very well. As for the Tigers D, the SWOSU Bulldogs showed where there are weaknesses. These last five weeks Ouachita plays some teams that have the offensive ability to exploit that weakness, but I expect the Tigers to roll as I'm not sure anyone can stop their rushing attack.

All in all, these next five weeks are going to be exciting in the GAC and in the wider SR3 region.

Comment

I’m concerned about the Bisons’ defense also, Armo. Why in the world would we allow teams like Oklahoma Baptist and Southern Naz to score 23 and 28 points respectively. Henderson has a good run defense. If they can get offense going in Searcy next week it could a trap game for my Bisons. I still think Southwestern Oklahoma and Arkansas Tech are improved teams compared to last year and will challenge the Bisons as much or more than Henderson will.

Comment

I am pleased with the improvements East Central has made on offense. The QB is finally getting into the groove of things. When the Tigers play like they did on Saturday, the can compete with just about anyone in the conference I think. Very excited for the rest of the season, especially the last 4 games on the schedule.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on my early season thoughts. Go Tigers!

Comment

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
                            I’m concerned about the Bisons’ defense also, Armo. Why in the world would we allow teams like Oklahoma Baptist and Southern Naz to score 23 and 28 points respectively. Henderson has a good run defense. If they can get offense going in Searcy next week it could a trap game for my Bisons. I still think Southwestern Oklahoma and Arkansas Tech are improved teams compared to last year and will challenge the Bisons as much or more than Henderson will.
                            I agree that SWOSU and ATU have improved, and with the way HU is playing D right now, I can see both the Bulldogs and Wonder Boys offenses challenging the Bisons D. Having said that, both SWOSU's and ATU's run Ds have looked porous for most of the season--the exceptions being SWOSU's game against UAM, and ATU's game against ECU. I'm not yet sold on the idea that SWOSU's or ATU's D is going to stop or significantly slow down the Bisons rushing attack.

As you rightly pointed out, the Reddies D has been very good against the run. Also, the HSU offense hasn't missed a beat from last year. That's why right now I think Henderson is the more likely team to upend Harding--that and for whatever reason the Reddies play the Bisons much tougher in Searcy. Anyway you shape it, HU is going need to play well in all phases of the game this week if they want to come away with the W.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerGuy View Post
                              I am pleased with the improvements East Central has made on offense. The QB is finally getting into the groove of things. When the Tigers play like they did on Saturday, the can compete with just about anyone in the conference I think. Very excited for the rest of the season, especially the last 4 games on the schedule.

I'm happy to be proven wrong on my early season thoughts. Go Tigers!
                              ECU has definitely made a heck of an in-season turn around. I think they have a legit shot at finishing 8-3 with the way they are playing right now. I won't be surprised if ECU is in the Live United Bowl (Texarkana) or the Heritage Bowl (Corsicana) come postseason.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X