Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Week 5 Thoughts?

Well … it looks like the GAC front runners “held serve” this week.

Harding and Ouachita looked strong, as expected, against SWOSU and SEOSU, respectively. Both games provided ample opportunities for players who work hard but don’t get many snaps to do so.

Henderson State took care of business. What was your take on this game? Are the Reddies still trending up or what?

The Muleriders are starting to assert themselves as the legitimate 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. Their defense got some stops against SNU that were impressive. They have a challenging next few weeks in front of them with HSU and Harding coming up.

Who would have thought just a few years ago we would even be talking about SNU playing meaningful games in the conference. The Crimson Storm have some young talent that’s developing. It will be interesting to see what life in Bethany will be like after Cage Porter.

it was good to see the Wonder Boys finally get a win.

Do you the three Okie teams fighting to stay out of the cellar have any fight left in them?
    Last edited by OldBison; 10-01-2023, 12:23 PM.

Originally posted by OldBison View Post
    Well … it looks like the GAC front runners “held serve” this week.

Harding and Ouachita looked strong, as expected, against SWOSU and SEOSU, respectively. Both games provided ample opportunities for players who work hard but don’t get many snaps to do so.

Henderson State took care of business. What was your take on this game? Are the Reddies still trending up or what?

The Muleriders are starting to assert themselves as the legitimate 3rd or 4th best team in the conference. Their defense got some stops against SNU that were impressive. They have a challenging next few weeks in front of them with HSU and Harding coming up.

Who would have thought just a few years ago we would even be talking about SNU playing meaningful games in the conference. The Crimson Storm have some young talent that’s developing. It will be interesting to see what life in Bethany will be like after Cage Porter.

it was good to see the Wonder Boys finally get a win.

Do you the three Okie teams fighting to stay out of the cellar have any fight left in them?
    I think OldBison surely knows more than me, so read him more carefully, but I'm willing to be seen as a fool.

Until proven otherwise, Harding should be considered the best team in the league. They beat one of the other top twos on the road. Ouachtia has not met that challenge yet.

Henderson gained motivation from their loss, which speaks well for them down the road.

SAU seems to get better each week, so they likely will have a role in deciding which of the 3 top Arkansas teams win the conference title. That's a game I'm glad the Tigers have behind them.

UAM proved this week they are a one horse team. Without their star quarterback, they were not very good at all. Does anyone know when they will be getting Brown back?

I have no clue on Arkansas Tech. They scared HSU, but they are still the worst in Wonder State unless UAM doesn't get Brown back.

SNU is obviously improving week to week, but I don't think they will have much of an impact on who wins the GAC. Either them, ECU or OBU will be the top finishing team out of Oklahoma. Week to week is remains to be seen which will have the focus to win enough to get there.

Then you get to SEOSU, SWOSU, and NWOSU. One of those teams will finish last, which means the other two will wins a game or two. That will depend upon the coach finding ways to inspire the kids.

Comment

Good win for the Reddies. OKBU is a quality team and HSU controlled it from start to finish. Defense was excellent. Offense stalled some in the second half but give OKBU credit, the Bison are improved on defense.

Big two weeks coming up for HSU. If they can beat SNU and SAU the next two weeks, they’ll be 9-1 when they play Ouachita (with all due respect to UAM, SWOSU, and NWOSU) and will be playing for a berth in the playoffs.

Comment

SWOSU offense leaves a lot to be desired. But HU defense was smothering last night. 79 yards total for 4 quarters. That’s with 20-25 mins of game time with subs in. It was rough. Bisons are really good on D.

Comment

Hats off to the SNU defense. Those guys played hard and are a lot better than I thought they’d be. They sold out to stop the SAU run game and for the first half did a good job of that. SAU’s big O-line just continued to lean on them and wore em down as the game went on, but lots of respect to them. They fought hard.

I was proud of the SAU defense, the rush defense in particular. I felt this game was going to tell us what they were made of and I feel like at the end, it really put some legitimacy behind what these guys are doing . It took about a half for them to settle in and figure it out, but once the did, they totally shut down the SNU ground game. I have so much respect for Gage Porter and what he’s done. He’s exciting to watch and I say this in the most respectful way, I’m sure glad that’s the last time we have to face him!!!

This was a good win on the road and a huge confidence builder for our D. We have OKBU next week then have Henderson and Harding waiting. I like where we are and there’s a lot of buzz around the program right now. We are a good team. Not quite up there with the elites of the conference yet, but we are certainly headed in the right direction.

Comment

I would say OBU is for sure a clear #1 and Harding a close by for sure #2.

Harding might actually go farther in the playoffs with their unorthodox offense.

I think the game between ASU-Arkadelphia and SAU in a few weeks will be deciding who goes to a bowl game this year. My feelings are HSU wins by 3 or 7 with home field advantage. Will be a good game regardless and should be close for most of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post
              I would say OBU is for sure a clear #1 and Harding a close by for sure #2.

Harding might actually go farther in the playoffs with their unorthodox offense.

I think the game between ASU-Arkadelphia and SAU in a few weeks will be deciding who goes to a bowl game this year. My feelings are HSU wins by 3 or 7 with home field advantage. Will be a good game regardless and should be close for most of the game.
              What is OBU being a clear #1 based on?

Comment

Some thoughts here: https://www.d2football.com/gac-week-five-recap/

Wanted to say more on SNU-SAU. That was a darn good football game. Hard-hitting, big plays from both sides. Any neutral observer would come away from that having enjoyed a quality, evenly matched game. I was thinking another shootout like last year, but holy smokes did both defenses steal the show. SAU, much improved across the board, made things difficult for SNU and kept them off rhythm in the second half. Really impressive.

I've been with SNU for five years. That was the most physical I've ever seen the defense play. All of you have watched SNU play over the years. I highly encourage you to wipe that picture of SNU, especially defensively, out of your minds. If you don't believe me, go rewatch the game from Saturday and then do it. I'm just really impressed with how much they've changed over the past few years. Disappointing loss, sure. But man, hard to not come away feeling great about the direction of the program.

Comment

I agree, Luke. I watched most all of the SNU-SAU game. Hot windy day in Bethany. Both teams battled to the end. SAU was bigger up front and over the course of a complete game that seemed to be the difference.

I know the Harding-OBU game is still a week away. For me it comes down to defenses stopping offenses. OBU’s defense is good but I believe Harding’s is better. I think that will make the difference in a close game.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

What is OBU being a clear #1 based on?
                    Because of my expert opinion staying at a Holiday Inn last night. :)

In all seriouness, I would say because of a loss in 2022 and barely beating Henderson State this year. If you guys beat OBU though, you guys will be the clear #1. Untill then, I don't think Harding can say they are the best.

I would say it's similar to SAU. SAU is probably a clear #4 until they beat HSU. Should be a good second half of the season though. Something tells me there is a Oklahoma team looking to bite.

Comment

To me OBU is clear #1 bc they have been prior conference champs and earned that right until someone beats them. Not sure they’ve been the best team so far this season, as HU has been most dominant but a lot of season left. Oct 14th in Searcy, AR going to be a very good and quick game. Looking forward to watching that one and each and every week.

Comment

Originally posted by BisonDOc View Post
                        To me OBU is clear #1 bc they have been prior conference champs and earned that right until someone beats them. Not sure they’ve been the best team so far this season, as HU has been most dominant but a lot of season left. Oct 14th in Searcy, AR going to be a very good and quick game. Looking forward to watching that one and each and every week.
                        +1 on those thoughts.

Comment

College football is a year-to-year thing. Last season doesn’t have much impact on what happens this season. I try not to take a hard stance on Ouachita vs Harding lately, as we never really know how that game will go until it’s played on the field. Having said that, I think Harding has looked more consistent against a tougher schedule to this point than Ouachita this year, so I am going to lean towards them as the best team in the conference this year until proven otherwise.

Now I hope my squad takes care of business and beats them by 28, but hey

Comment

Originally posted by walnut100 View Post
                            College football is a year-to-year thing. Last season doesn’t have much impact on what happens this season. I try not to take a hard stance on Ouachita vs Harding lately, as we never really know how that game will go until it’s played on the field. Having said that, I think Harding has looked more consistent against a tougher schedule to this point than Ouachita this year, so I am going to lean towards them as the best team in the conference this year until proven otherwise.

Now I hope my squad takes care of business and beats them by 28, but hey
                            To be honest, I am starting to get tired of the same GAC football season year after year. WE NEED NON CONFERENCE GAMES. We need a little bit of variety. I'm not really excited to play the same teams year in and year out. Harding and OBU are currently head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to football. No doubt and no anger towards them. I would also like to see the conference grow to have a GAC Championship at the end of each year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulerider View Post

To be honest, I am starting to get tired of the same GAC football season year after year. WE NEED NON CONFERENCE GAMES. We need a little bit of variety. I'm not really excited to play the same teams year in and year out. Harding and OBU are currently head and shoulders above everyone else when it comes to football. No doubt and no anger towards them. I would also like to see the conference grow to have a GAC Championship at the end of each year as well.
                              I'd say it's even less about playing the same, but just the understanding of how the season is going to go just because of the statuses of the programs. We know Ouachita and Harding will be at the top with Henderson close behind. We know there could be a challenger or two that is good enough to push them, but maybe not beat them. And sorry, but the shuffling in slots 4-12 just isn't that exciting if none of those has a realistic shot to win the league.

If more of the programs were, say, the caliber of SAU or even Henderson and none were at the level of Harding, it'd be a completely different feel. But it's a pretty clear caste system in the GAC. Some have made strides to get out of the basement and some have sunk a level or so, but still. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like it'll change any time soon.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X