• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UW-P Football consideration

Re: UW-P Football consideration

the gliac would certainly welcome them

Comment

I believe UW-P is already a member of the GLIAC in other sports, so travel shouldn't be an issue. Close enough to Chicago so they can purge some talent to add to the Wisconsin kids. Not that I'm a deciding factor, but not seeing any issues here. Maybe wondering if there's an easier way to get your program started than jumping right into GLIAC competition.

Comment

Of course the GLIAC would welcome Parkside football. But, it is very doubtful the Badgers would allow a system school to have scholarship football. That's why all the other UW schools with football are D3.

Comment

Comment

Until they allow other scholarship football programs to exist in Wisconsin besides UW, then this is a non-issue.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post
              Of course the GLIAC would welcome Parkside football. But, it is very doubtful the Badgers would allow a system school to have scholarship football. That's why all the other UW schools with football are D3.
              The nine Wisconsin D3 schools were originally founded as state teachers colleges (ie. Whitewater State Normal School) before evolving into the Wisconsin State University system in the 1950s (ie. Wisconsin State College/University-Whitewater) and were merged into the UW system in 1971. The pre-merger UW campuses were Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Parkside (Kenosha/Racine). The football programs existed at Whitewater, LaCrosse, etc. pre-dated the UW System merger in 1971.
              Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Hope it passes. It's petty of the Badgers to have this type of policy. I'm glad the pigs have not been successful in pulling that stunt here in Arkansas.

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                The nine Wisconsin D3 schools were originally founded as state teachers colleges (ie. Whitewater State Normal School) before evolving into the Wisconsin State University system in the 1950s (ie. Wisconsin State College/University-Whitewater) and were merged into the UW system in 1971. The pre-merger UW campuses were Madison, Milwaukee, Green Bay and Parkside (Kenosha/Racine). The football programs existed at Whitewater, LaCrosse, etc. pre-dated the UW System merger in 1971.
                I'll make that my daily learn something new. Thanks for the info; very interesting. Did Whitewater and the others have athletic scholarships prior to the merger?

Comment

I think it is actually a state law currently somewhere in the depths of the laws of Wisconsin, that no school in the Wisconsin system may offer football scholarships with the exception of UW-Madison. Others have mentioned that may be changing, but I think this is what I heard previously.

It likely dated back to when schools were allowed unlimited scholarships (pre Title IX) and UW-Madison wanted to be able to hoard all the football talent while leaving the scraps for the now D3 schools.

With the changing landscape that includes Title IX, this needs to change.

At one time Milwaukee had a football program. They dropped the program after the 1974 season, and had spent the previous decade as an independent after being part of the Wisconsin State College Conference, which is the version of the conference that now has the public D3 schools. During the decade between leaving the WSC and dropping football they played many teams from the region, most of who were independent programs at the time, such as Eastern and Western Illinois, Northern Iowa, and others who would later form the Mid-Continent Conference. Among the other somewhat regulars opponents if UW-Milwaukee were current GLIAC members Ferris State (10 meetings between 1957 and 1974.) Wayne State (7 meetings 1964-1974), Michigan Tech and NMU were also occasional opponents as were Central and Eastern Michigan.

I would welcome the UW D1 and D2 schools adding football, but I think in today's age, it is a huge financial risk with Title IX and many schools having budget crisis issues. Parkside might be in the best position to do so as a D2 school, but I think that is a longshot to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                    I think it is actually a state law currently somewhere in the depths of the laws of Wisconsin, that no school in the Wisconsin system may offer football scholarships with the exception of UW-Madison. Others have mentioned that may be changing, but I think this is what I heard previously.

It likely dated back to when schools were allowed unlimited scholarships (pre Title IX) and UW-Madison wanted to be able to hoard all the football talent while leaving the scraps for the now D3 schools.

With the changing landscape that includes Title IX, this needs to change.

At one time Milwaukee had a football program. They dropped the program after the 1974 season, and had spent the previous decade as an independent after being part of the Wisconsin State College Conference, which is the version of the conference that now has the public D3 schools. During the decade between leaving the WSC and dropping football they played many teams from the region, most of who were independent programs at the time, such as Eastern and Western Illinois, Northern Iowa, and others who would later form the Mid-Continent Conference. Among the other somewhat regulars opponents if UW-Milwaukee were current GLIAC members Ferris State (10 meetings between 1957 and 1974.) Wayne State (7 meetings 1964-1974), Michigan Tech and NMU were also occasional opponents as were Central and Eastern Michigan.

I would welcome the UW D1 and D2 schools adding football, but I think in today's age, it is a huge financial risk with Title IX and many schools having budget crisis issues. Parkside might be in the best position to do so as a D2 school, but I think that is a longshot to happen.
                    That law was recently called Unconstitutional under Title IX and now its just a matter of whether a Wisconsin school could fund a football program

Comment

Yeah, they make it legal for other Wisconsin schools to have Scholarships and I would all be for welcoming Parkside in.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        Yeah, they make it legal for other Wisconsin schools to have Scholarships and I would all be for welcoming Parkside in.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                            At one time Milwaukee had a football program.
                            It would be nice to have Parkside to add D2 football and Green Bay and Milwaukee to go FCS. I don't know where the money would come from though.

As long as I am wishes for the state of Wiscy, I may as well ask for the return of baseball to UW.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post
                              It would be nice to have Parkside to add D2 football and Green Bay and Milwaukee to go FCS. I don't know where the money would come from though.

As long as I am wishes for the state of Wiscy, I may as well ask for the return of baseball to UW.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X