Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GV Outlook 2019

LMAO - here we go again - what's that called?

Comment

Grand Valley needs to look good and hard outside the GV coaching tree. I don't buy the crap that MM was the best candidate at the time of his hire. Lance Liepold (formerly of Wisconsin Whitewater) is now the head coach at Buffalo (D1 MAC), is 10-2 this season and playing for a MAC championship. GV crapped the bed when they passed on him. Perhaps take a long hard look at Vince Kehres, head coach at D3 Mount Union. The guy wins and he does it with ZERO scholarships. Imagine what he could do with D2 scholarships and top notch facilities!

Comment

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
        Grand Valley needs to look good and hard outside the GV coaching tree. I don't buy the crap that MM was the best candidate at the time of his hire. Lance Liepold (formerly of Wisconsin Whitewater) is now the head coach at Buffalo (D1 MAC), is 10-2 this season and playing for a MAC championship. GV crapped the bed when they passed on him. Perhaps take a long hard look at Vince Kehres, head coach at D3 Mount Union. The guy wins and he does it with ZERO scholarships. Imagine what he could do with D2 scholarships and top notch facilities!
        Don't be fooled, that school has donors with deep pockets, they give athletes scollys, just not called football scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
          Don't be fooled, that school has donors with deep pockets, they give athletes scollys, just not called football scholarships.
          I could see that. I won't lie I don't know a lot about that school other than the fact that they win consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post
            I could see that. I won't lie I don't know a lot about that school other than the fact that they win consistently.
            There's the rub.

Look, you may have a leg to stand on with Leipold. It has taken him several years, but he appears to finally have it figured out at Buffalo.

As for Vince, the Kehres family is so entrenched at Mount Union that I would wager large sums that he isn't going anywhere. His Dad was the HC for like a gagillion years, and he has stepped in since Pops retired. They have a knack for rule-bending that is as strong as anyone else...AND, one could argue that based on the donor pool they have (as Thepeman references) he may already be making more than MM is anyway. There are DIII schools out there paying their coaches more than you might think.

Look, I get your position...I just don't think that finding the next BK is as easy as it is being made out to be. No to mention, BK was on year 11 before we were a legit title contender...who are we going to get that can walk in here and make us elite by tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post
              There's the rub.

Look, you may have a leg to stand on with Leipold. It has taken him several years, but he appears to finally have it figured out at Buffalo.

As for Vince, the Kehres family is so entrenched at Mount Union that I would wager large sums that he isn't going anywhere. His Dad was the HC for like a gagillion years, and he has stepped in since Pops retired. They have a knack for rule-bending that is as strong as anyone else...AND, one could argue that based on the donor pool they have (as Thepeman references) he may already be making more than MM is anyway. There are DIII schools out there paying their coaches more than you might think.

Look, I get your position...I just don't think that finding the next BK is as easy as it is being made out to be. No to mention, BK was on year 11 before we were a legit title contender...who are we going to get that can walk in here and make us elite by tomorrow?
              BK also worked at a Grand Valley that was as podunk as one can get with 10,000 less students, far less alumni, far less money, a fraction of the quality of facilities, and a football history of only competing in the conference with early playoff exits. Today, GVSU is larger than all of the directionals, has over 100,000 alumni, has higher payed alumni now than ever before, has FCS quality facilities, a beautiful campus with way more around it, and a history of championships in the last 15 years.

We need someone to come in and take advantage of the inherent advantages our school has and actually make some progress with the program. Mitchell quite simply is not making any kind of progress. We are floundering as a program, consistently getting beat by our rival, and consistently getting beat by any team with a pulse in the playoffs. I'm not asking for BK level football. I'm asking that we actually do something of substance more than twice in 9 seasons. That is not asking for much. At this point, the uncertainty of who we would find is better than the continuity of substandard football where we either have an early playoff exit or don't make the playoffs at all. Just because we don't know who the who is doesn't mean there isn't a better option out there. That's what search committees are for.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
                BK also worked at a Grand Valley that was as podunk as one can get with 10,000 less students, far less alumni, far less money, a fraction of the quality of facilities, and a football history of only competing in the conference with early playoff exits. Today, GVSU is larger than all of the directionals, has over 100,000 alumni, has higher payed alumni now than ever before, has FCS quality facilities, a beautiful campus with way more around it, and a history of championships in the last 15 years.

We need someone to come in and take advantage of the inherent advantages our school has and actually make some progress with the program. Mitchell quite simply is not making any kind of progress. We are floundering as a program, consistently getting beat by our rival, and consistently getting beat by any team with a pulse in the playoffs. I'm not asking for BK level football. I'm asking that we actually do something of substance more than twice in 9 seasons. That is not asking for much. At this point, the uncertainty of who we would find is better than the continuity of substandard football where we either have an early playoff exit or don't make the playoffs at all. Just because we don't know who the who is doesn't mean there isn't a better option out there. That's what search committees are for.
                I, for one, would prefer to have our lowest standard be 10 wins and once in a while compete for a title, rather than the most-likely-alternative of making less than 10 wins the norm.
                2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                  I, for one, would prefer to have our lowest standard be 10 wins and once in a while compete for a title, rather than the most-likely-alternative of making less than 10 wins the norm.
                  Except 10 wins isn't even our lowest standard with the current staff.

2011: 8 wins
                  2012: 8 wins
                  2014: 6 wins
                  2017: 8 wins

4/9 of Mitchell's seasons have been below 10 wins.

Comment

Except 10 wins isn't even our lowest standard with the current staff.

2011: 8 wins
                    2012: 8 wins
                    2014: 6 wins
                    2017: 8 wins

4/9 of Mitchell's seasons have been below 10 wins.
                    Which means 5/9 have been over 10 wins...if 10 wins is our standard, I would say he's been okay.
                    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                      I just hope a full off-season of Kotopka practicing with the ones yields some good improvement. His passing this year was not good, so hopefully he gets more familiar with his WR's abilities and routes and can improve on that.

One thing that I would like to see that I feel like GV hasn't had in a while - an ass-kicker on the d-line. The team has been getting decent pressure on QB's lately, but not nearly like they were when they were making successful post-season runs, among the national leaders in QB sacks. I want that McFadden or Richard or Skuta who is putting up 15 sacks a season again.
                      Dang straight on that. Would be nice to see someone who really just blows up double teams and is a total wrecking ball. Someone who just rings the dinner bell and inspires his teammates to "COME AND GET IT!"

I do think that overall that GLIAC O-lines have improved enough that we're not going to see another performance like what the laker D had against say, Jimmy T, who honestly at some point in the second quarter probably should have just stayed down and let someone else take that beating for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                        Dang straight on that. Would be nice to see someone who really just blows up double teams and is a total wrecking ball. Someone who just rings the dinner bell and inspires his teammates to "COME AND GET IT!"

I do think that overall that GLIAC O-lines have improved enough that we're not going to see another performance like what the laker D had against say, Jimmy T, who honestly at some point in the second quarter probably should have just stayed down and let someone else take that beating for a bit.
                        Jimmy T was a warrior. That kid kept taking beatings every snap but never gave up. Good stuff!

Comment

You're not a douche. It takes a lot of courage to make such profound and edumacated comments on every post concerning GV. You are the #1 ferris fan. They are lucky to have you.

Comment

I agree with what you have said, I would also ask the question does Matt Mitchell energize the students, football alums, other alums and donors to the school? Maybe we are taking our sports to seriously, but we will continue to perform at the same level we have in the past 9 years as long as Matt is the HC. Makes planning for the holidays easier though because we rarely play after Thanksgiving. Now that TA is not leaving for Central Michigan I can hardly wait for the 2019 schedule to come out and save the date for the Ferris game. Oh by the way I like your user name.

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
                              So in the last episode of the GV Sports Report, MM talked almost exclusively about fitting the offense with the pieces we'll have next season. I'm wondering with Cole if the "fades for days" offense will finally be shelved and we'll have more of a RPO type attack. That's what I'm hoping for. Excited to have Moss and Provencher back but Dodson left big shoes to fill. Also, anyone know if Bryce Young-Walls will be back next season? It'd be great to pair him with Moss and use Provencher mainly in that slot WR role.

Defensively was pretty blunt about the fact that the secondary needs major work if we're going to be able to get back into the playoffs or have any chance at a decent run. Hopefully we have some growth over the offseason there and guys step up.
                              Probably 9-2 ....Losing to Ferris and Northwood

1st Round vs OBU - you guys dominate
                              2nd Round vs Harding - sorry you are on to 2020

Comment

Originally posted by FSUBulldog27 View Post
                                Probably 9-2 ....Losing to Ferris and Northwood

1st Round vs OBU - you guys dominate
                                2nd Round vs Harding - sorry you are on to 2020
                                I would substitute Davenport for Northwood and your prediction seems realistic even though it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X