Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLIAC Football this fall?

With Michigan reinstating high school football and it looking like the Big Ten may start playing this fall (October), has anyone heard if the GLIAC is considering playing this season?

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
    With Michigan reinstating high school football and it looking like the Big Ten may start playing this fall (October), has anyone heard if the GLIAC is considering playing this season?
    The difference is that MHSAA all plays under the same governing umbrella. The Big Ten is one of only a few conferences that weren't playing football in the fall. They were one of the outliers. In D-II, no conferences are playing football. And the NCAA already said there'd be no Division II fall championships, so there's really no reason to play.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

there are a lot of D2 schools playing football this fall - we should too - Big10 won't be in the BCS national championship as they won't play enough games but they will play

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
        there are a lot of D2 schools playing football this fall - we should too - Big10 won't be in the BCS national championship as they won't play enough games but they will play
        I'm torn on this. I guess it's my competitive side. I really want them to play. And I think they can with limited additional risks. But without a championship, it sours on the desire to see games. Though I would think most players want to play just to play. Should they be given that opportunity? And I have to admit, in spite of risks to me, I'd likely be willing to watch games in person. I'm glad I don't have a vote, but if I did.... man I still don't know. And honestly money does come into play. Games won't be free... nor will the schollys be free. I have to believe more than a handful of guys are taking some time off during this. As a result, those schollies won't be paid out. This doesn't include all the other game costs.

Well, I guess I have to commit eh? So I say PLAY. The issue now though, is is it too late? How can one get games? And travel won't be free. So I'm not holding any breath for a GV game till '21

Comment

its not even a questions to me, PLAY - those teams that are playing will be ahead of those teams that don't - you don't play you lose something - this age group 15-24 has almost no risk of dying from covid and in fact the CDC tells us influenza and pneumonia are far worse for this age group yet nothing is done for that - PLAY - CDC stats, up to 9/9/2020 there have been 20,000 deaths in this age group which consists of about 44 Million people - of the 20,000 deaths 315 have been from covid - that's it - the last numbers they have for influenza and pneumonia deaths from 2013-14 show almost 500 deaths in this age group with nearly the same 20,000 total deaths - PLAY - science counts - facts are facts - PLAY

Comment

Originally posted by BillyGV View Post
            its not even a questions to me, PLAY - those teams that are playing will be ahead of those teams that don't - you don't play you lose something - this age group 15-24 has almost no risk of dying from covid and in fact the CDC tells us influenza and pneumonia are far worse for this age group yet nothing is done for that - PLAY - CDC stats, up to 9/9/2020 there have been 20,000 deaths in this age group which consists of about 44 Million people - of the 20,000 deaths 315 have been from covid - that's it - the last numbers they have for influenza and pneumonia deaths from 2013-14 show almost 500 deaths in this age group with nearly the same 20,000 total deaths - PLAY - science counts - facts are facts - PLAY
            Young people with no or mild symptoms are now experiencing myocarditis on a massive scale. I personally know six of them between the ages of 16 and 27. They account for all six people I know who have been diagnosed with covid. Every single one of them has made multiple trips to the ER with breathing problems due to myocarditis which developed during their bout with covid, and they now test negative for the virus. So are you willing to risk the long-term health of these players in order for you to watch football? Have you asked the players? Not to mention the CDC reports are now being confirmed as being changed in order to fit the false narrative pushed by the president. Also not to mention that the "315 have been from covid" is a misleading number. *Also* not to mention that almost half of the players on any given college football have one of the most dangerous comorbidities associated with covid, which is being overweight. So again - have you asked the players if they are willing to risk their long-term health so you can watch football?

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Young people with no or mild symptoms are now experiencing myocarditis on a massive scale. I personally know six of them between the ages of 16 and 27. They account for all six people I know who have been diagnosed with covid. Every single one of them has made multiple trips to the ER with breathing problems due to myocarditis which developed during their bout with covid, and they now test negative for the virus. So are you willing to risk the long-term health of these players in order for you to watch football? Have you asked the players? Not to mention the CDC reports are now being confirmed as being changed in order to fit the false narrative pushed by the president. Also not to mention that the "315 have been from covid" is a misleading number. *Also* not to mention that almost half of the players on any given college football have one of the most dangerous comorbidities associated with covid, which is being overweight. So again - have you asked the players if they are willing to risk their long-term health so you can watch football?
              What do you call a massive scale? I thought the issue with myocarditis was a longer term issue...breathing issues are not fun!

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

What do you call a massive scale? I thought the issue with myocarditis was a longer term issue...breathing issues are not fun!
                When it comes to someone's health at the cost of playing sports, I would consider massive scale to be more than a couple. There's mounting evidence.

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/...thletes-sports

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-understand-it

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-any-symptoms/

https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/88487

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...19-study-67929

https://www.escardio.org/Education/C...and-Cardiology

My own cousin has been dealing with covid-related myocarditis for months and even had a heart attack as a result. A perfectly-healthy 24-year-old prior to her covid diagnosis.

Comment

If the MAC can play football this fall so can the GLIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by WayneStatesman View Post
                    If the MAC can play football this fall so can the GLIAC.
                    Yeah, sure, no crowds so nobody is making any money off of a gate. The GLIAC doesn't have a TV deal like the MAC does, which is why they have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night games. You really want to shell out the money right now for all of the Covid -19 testing that they're doing? MAC says they're testing 4 times a week. I can't see schools like Northwood, Northern Michigan, or Michigan Tech would want to spend that kind of money right now to do all of that just to get thumped on by Ferris or GVSU?? They would have to get their hands on the tests, and that's probably going to be hard as they're still ramping up production of them. I don't see them wanting to do that right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                      Yeah, sure, no crowds so nobody is making any money off of a gate. The GLIAC doesn't have a TV deal like the MAC does, which is why they have Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday night games. You really want to shell out the money right now for all of the Covid -19 testing that they're doing? MAC says they're testing 4 times a week. I can't see schools like Northwood, Northern Michigan, or Michigan Tech would want to spend that kind of money right now to do all of that just to get thumped on by Ferris or GVSU?? They would have to get their hands on the tests, and that's probably going to be hard as they're still ramping up production of them. I don't see them wanting to do that right now.
                      I tend to agree. It does make one wonder how some D2 teams are doing it though. It's not like they're rolling in cash either. So what is it that some MIAA, RMAC or LSC teams are doing to not drain that piggy bank?

Comment

Based on your logic why play D2 football at all? Nobody makes money on it anyway. The schools won't have to shell out money for scholarships, salaries, travel, equipment, insurance etc. Let's just forget the whole thing.

Comment

Based on your logic why play D2 football at all? Nobody makes money on it anyway. The schools won't have to shell out money for scholarships, salaries, travel, equipment, insurance etc. Let's just forget the whole thing.
                          I'm just pointing out the fact that some schools would really be bleeding money this to put on a product that maybe breaks even most years, or is at least a plus on the Athletic Department's ledgers. If there was some big time donor there that wants all of the GLIAC to play, yeah, sure, let them toss around an extra half million or so to each athletic department to get the ball rolling on all of the PPE and testing that they would need to have to get so that they can play safely without someone who has Covid on the field. Even if we tell Ashland to pound sand because they're leaving next year anyway, that's 8 teams. 8 teams would make a nice little 7 game schedule, but its still going to take more money to get everything up and running.

Comment

I'm just pointing out the fact that some schools would really be bleeding money this to put on a product that maybe breaks even most years, or is at least a plus on the Athletic Department's ledgers. If there was some big time donor there that wants all of the GLIAC to play, yeah, sure, let them toss around an extra half million or so to each athletic department to get the ball rolling on all of the PPE and testing that they would need to have to get so that they can play safely without someone who has Covid on the field. Even if we tell Ashland to pound sand because they're leaving next year anyway, that's 8 teams. 8 teams would make a nice little 7 game schedule, but its still going to take more money to get everything up and running.
                            The high schools are playing football and I don't think they are testing the students or staff 4 times a week. They are somehow managing so when there's a will there's a way.

Comment

The high schools are playing football and I don't think they are testing the students or staff 4 times a week. They are somehow managing so when there's a will there's a way.
                              yeah, by making the parents sign a waiver and then hoping like hell that it will stand up in court if the kids ever get infected during the football season.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X