Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

GV is still the best athletics program in the conference and the country.
    Based on what??

Comment

• Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post

Based on what??
      You've won the last 20* D2 director's cups?

*I don't know or care what the actual number is, I just know it's a lot

Comment

• [QUOTEOriginally posted by Irish1916 View Post
        Congratulations to Ferris as they outplayed Grand Valley and outcoached Matt Mitchel and his staff. The Grand Valley faithful should consider these factors going forward;

1. Matt's wife has family in Grand Rapids area and does not want to relocate out of the area.
        2. Over the past 6-7 years Matt's performance has diminished his marketability
        3. Current President of GV is not really concerned with the performance of the Football program and in fact embraces it as a model of long term success as she focusses on the continued wokeness of the university.
        4. The current AD at GV has no leadership skills and has no idea the damage being done to the athletic program and the GLIAC conference where GV is no longer considered a leader.
        5. We are saddled with Matt Mitchell until he retires or the football program has multiple consecutive years with a losing record. Mediocrity is beautiful.

GV is still the best athletics program in the conference and the country. Football is not the be-all-end-all of the athletic program.

Comment

• Klesheen, GV has had recent successes in our athletic teams playing for national championships in men and women cross country, women's soccer, basketball, golf, softball and volley ball that have allowed GV to win numerous D2 Director Cups. What is missing from this list of GV teams not contributing to this success? Men's baseball, basketball and football. I also do not see major donors pushing money to complete the updates at Lubbers Stadium or the building of a much needed basketball arena. As a graduate of Grand Valley State College, yes I said College, I wish my observations about the leadership of the school and athletic program was wrong. I really would like them to not be willing to accept mediocrity.

Comment

• Originally posted by IH8SVSU View Post

Based on what??
            They've finished in the top 2 in the Director's Cup standings the last 18 years, including 13 wins. Every time they finished second in those 18 years, it was second to UC Davis twice (while they were gearing up to go D1), to Grand Canyon twice (while they were gearing up to go D1), and to Cal Baptist once (in their last year of D2 before going D1).

I understand everyone here wants football to be great, and men's basketball and baseball to be great. But again, that's not what makes a well-rounded athletic program. If you want to say that football and men's basketball and baseball have underperformed, fine, do that. But don't say that the GV athletic program is "no longer considered a leader" when the GV athletic program is by far the leader in Division II, despite what football and men's basketball and baseball do. Maybe you can give some credit to how GV has by far the best women's athletics program in the country among all divisions, not just D-II. Maybe you just don't want to give that credit as a male. I don't know. Go after football, not the athletic program as a whole that remains incredible.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

• Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

They've finished in the top 2 in the Director's Cup standings the last 18 years, including 13 wins. Every time they finished second in those 18 years, it was second to UC Davis twice (while they were gearing up to go D1), to Grand Canyon twice (while they were gearing up to go D1), and to Cal Baptist once (in their last year of D2 before going D1).

I understand everyone here wants football to be great, and men's basketball and baseball to be great. But again, that's not what makes a well-rounded athletic program. If you want to say that football and men's basketball and baseball have underperformed, fine, do that. But don't say that the GV athletic program is "no longer considered a leader" when the GV athletic program is by far the leader in Division II, despite what football and men's basketball and baseball do. Maybe you can give some credit to how GV has by far the best women's athletics program in the country among all divisions, not just D-II. Maybe you just don't want to give that credit as a male. I don't know. Go after football, not the athletic program as a whole that remains incredible.
              I just want the President of the University and the Athletic Director to hold the coaches of the men's programs to the same high standard of the coaches of the women's teams, who have performed with distinction over the past two decades; why do they allow for the men's programs to under perform?

Comment

• Originally posted by boyblue View Post

If you can't beat them maybe you should take their coach. I'm sure you can pay him more, have you guys considered hiring Annese?
                No need. They have a guy literally down the street at D3 Hope College that would do an infinitely better job than Mitchell and has a similar career path as Annese. His name is Pete Stuursma. He coached East Grand Rapids High School to several state championships despite it being a school of country club kids. He then went to Hope College and currently has a 40-11 record there in a program that had minimal success in the past.

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish1916 View Post

I just want the President of the University and the Athletic Director to hold the coaches of the men's programs to the same high standard of the coaches of the women's teams, who have performed with distinction over the past two decades; why do they allow for the men's programs to under perform?

Comment

• I just finished watching the replay of the game, and I have some Thoughts:

1. Culberson's injury was maybe more impactful than whatever Peterson is dealing with. The backup was spraying snaps all over the place and I think that messed with Peterson's concentration.

2. Peterson was clearly hobbled. IDK what injury he's dealing with but he had ZERO confidence in his ability to run.

3. As bad as the score was, it's a fair representation of both teams on the day. Ferris played lights out in all three phases while GV ate it in multiple crucial moments.

Comment

• Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

No need. They have a guy literally down the street at D3 Hope College that would do an infinitely better job than Mitchell and has a similar career path as Annese. His name is Pete Stuursma. He coached East Grand Rapids High School to several state championships despite it being a school of country club kids. He then went to Hope College and currently has a 40-11 record there in a program that had minimal success in the past.
                      Petes a great guy....but ask what happened at EGR after he was shut off from recruiting the out of district kids? Grady fund ring a bell? When the money was turned off so was his success...Now at Hope he does do a nice job...until the playoffs then he gets boat raced....and yea...Hope did get some NICE donations for the new buildings and scholarship help....D3? Scholarships? yea....interesting huh? And Hope has done very well in the past under Smith as well...but yea...GVSU could use some edgy kids for sure...call Philly and get them admitted please...you seem to have all the inside info, get it done...616-331-5000...ask for Philly...they will get you to her office...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post
                        I just finished watching the replay of the game, and I have some Thoughts:

1. Culberson's injury was maybe more impactful than whatever Peterson is dealing with. The backup was spraying snaps all over the place and I think that messed with Peterson's concentration.

2. Peterson was clearly hobbled. IDK what injury he's dealing with but he had ZERO confidence in his ability to run.

3. As bad as the score was, it's a fair representation of both teams on the day. Ferris played lights out in all three phases while GV ate it in multiple crucial moments.
                        Whats your take on Ferris QB injury....looked bad...wish the kid the best...would be sad to finish his career that way...

Comment

• Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Whats your take on Ferris QB injury....looked bad...wish the kid the best...would be sad to finish his career that way...
                          I agree, it seemed bad. In his first game without a brace since September as well. I hope JB can play a few more games but he won't get any healthier playing NW's front 7.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mk63NuclearBomb View Post

I agree, it seemed bad. In his first game without a brace since September as well. I hope JB can play a few more games but he won't get any healthier playing NW's front 7.
                            Didnt seem like a leg thing...more of a shoulder or concussion maybe? both are tough...

Comment

• Originally posted by Irish1916 View Post

You are saying this like 2 weeks after the men's cross country just won the national championship. They also beat Michigan State in an invitational this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by yote_7 View Post

You are saying this like 2 weeks after the men's cross country just won the national championship. They also beat Michigan State in an invitational this year.
                                Thats great and all. But we need to see more production from teams that will impact the campus. Our T&F programs are outstanding, but no one really cares other than the athletes and the parents.

Trust me I hate typing that. But its the reality of the situation... (and yes I get the statement is very broad and more than just those people care, just not enough to actually impact the campus)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X