Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Winters.

I think myself and many others have had enough. At 1-7 with GV and Ferris left on the schedule we can just about say this season is going to close at 1-9. As a supporter and proud alumnus of the program I just cannot take it anymore. We deserve better. The city of Detroit deserves better.

Originally posted by The Warrior View Post
    I think myself and many others have had enough. At 1-7 with GV and Ferris left on the schedule we can just about say this season is going to close at 1-9. As a supporter and proud alumnus of the program I just cannot take it anymore. We deserve better. The city of Detroit deserves better.
    Ditto for me but we have a thick-headed AD that thinks Winters is the greatest thing since sliced bread no matter what his record is. Unless there is a big money donor or donors that can put pressure on Fournier to make a change I fear Winters will still be HC next season and our misery will continue.

Comment

He should absolutely be fired. No excuses, he keeps saying “we are young, we will get there”. But being young is not an excuse. If that’s your excuse, your just saying your young players aren’t talented enough (no disrespect to the players). I know it’s a high standard but look at GV and FSU, they have a ton of RFR, RSO and a few true SO playing a lot, and making a lot of plays. The unfortunate part is that contract extension, they would have to pony up some cash to fire him.

Comment

Is it certain he got an extension? His contract would be available through a FOIA request to the university.

Comment

This will be the 4th losing season in the past 5. Unless a miracle happens, this will be the 3rd with 2 wins or less. Not to mention the first 1 win season since Paul's first in 2004. AND the first winless GLIAC season since 1999.

That FOIA is pending, and I will report back. In the meantime, is there any other school that has held on to a coach this long, had them fall this hard, and kept them around? This is now worse than my usual metaphor of Dantonio post-CFP appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
            This will be the 4th losing season in the past 5. Unless a miracle happens, this will be the 3rd with 2 wins or less. Not to mention the first 1 win season since Paul's first in 2004. AND the first winless GLIAC season since 1999.

That FOIA is pending, and I will report back. In the meantime, is there any other school that has held on to a coach this long, had them fall this hard, and kept them around? This is now worse than my usual metaphor of Dantonio post-CFP appearance.
            Please keep us posted. It's a shame, I like Winters as a person but his best coaching, recruiting, and leadership appears to have come and gone.

Comment

Got a reply. It's the same contract that they sent to me last year and in August of this year. It was an extension signed in June 2019 (coming off of a 2 win season) and ends on 12/31/22. I guess maybe FOIA wouldn't send me contact not yet in effect if there was an extension. Guess we just wait and see at this point.

I would note that last year, FOIA sent me a contract for the basketball coach that would have expired 3/31/21. But as we all know, he coached the offseason, the home opener vs. Michigan, an away game, and then decided to peace out and leave his assistants high and dry (and then have the audacity to show up for Senior Night). Speculate as much as you want, the AD encouraged it when asked.

PS - Paul makes $243,360 + a $25k bonus last year + a $30k bonus this year + a car to drive just to lose any game that matters.

Comment

This is much worse than the Dantonio collapse. What was accomplished during that period of time for coach D was far greater than what winters has done in his tenure. One national title run, a few seasons with success and many other seasons where the team flat out under achieved. His overall record is below .500 and his record vs conference opponents is also under .500. Name another job in the world where you can get paid a quarter of a million dollars to be mediocre at best. Lets hope that this contract expires and his time as the head coach expires as well.

Comment

Originally posted by The Warrior View Post

Name another job in the world where you can get paid a quarter of a million dollars to be mediocre at best.
                  President of the United States
                  Senators aren't paid that much but their performance is well below mediocre.

But I do get your point.

Comment

PS - Paul makes $243,360 + a $25k bonus last year + a $30k bonus this year + a car to drive just to lose any game that matters.
                    Based on Winters' salary, someone like Tony Annese should get paid a couple million dollars a year. I guess this proves the old adage that life ain't fair.

Comment

Got a reply. It's the same contract that they sent to me last year and in August of this year. It was an extension signed in June 2019 (coming off of a 2 win season) and ends on 12/31/22. I guess maybe FOIA wouldn't send me contact not yet in effect if there was an extension. Guess we just wait and see at this point.

I would note that last year, FOIA sent me a contract for the basketball coach that would have expired 3/31/21. But as we all know, he coached the offseason, the home opener vs. Michigan, an away game, and then decided to peace out and leave his assistants high and dry (and then have the audacity to show up for Senior Night). Speculate as much as you want, the AD encouraged it when asked.

I'm curious what he did to earn bonuses...Is it academic related? It surely isn't due to on-field success.

Comment

Just part of his contract. There are some performance bonuses too, but they're comparatively small. 2019 he made an extra $5k for GLIAC Coach of the Year. The rest involve winning 9 or more games, getting into the playoffs, winning playoff games, etc.

Comment

Coach Winters has been let go.

Comment

I'm happy for Wayne State fans. Looks like it took a new AD to make it happen.

Comment

45% of the GLIAC is changing head coaches this off-season lol.
                              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X