Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitchell or Annese to Western?

Does anyone thing Western Michigan takes a look at the coaches in Allendale or Big Rapids to fill their new HC slot after Tim Lester was let go today?

I find it hard to believe either one of them are going to leave. Feels like they both could have left by now if they wanted to.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Mitchell doesn't have the success at the D2 level to be the big splash they're looking for and Annese is 61 years old. Between the two, Annese might be their best bet to get instant success and he'd just retire there after 5-6 years as opposed to having a young coach ditch them after 2-3 years of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
        Mitchell doesn't have the success at the D2 level to be the big splash they're looking for and Annese is 61 years old. Between the two, Annese might be their best bet to get instant success and he'd just retire there after 5-6 years as opposed to having a young coach ditch them after 2-3 years of winning.
        Why do we keep doing this? Mitchell has the second-best winning percentage in all of D-II football during his career, trailing only Annese. Among coaches with 10+ years of experience, he's the active D-II winning percentage leader and 6th ALL TIME. Like y'all are so weird in trying to crush this guy simply because he isn't winning national titles like two current FBS coaches did. He's inarguably one of the best D-II football coaches of all time, whether you like it or not. It just so happens Annese is as well. Y'all are just mad because Ferris State has their own Brian Kelly/Chuck Martin at the same time, and he chooses to not leave.

I get it. I'd like to have kept winning 4 national titles every 5 years as well. Everyone would. But that's not reality. Did you guys know Annese has only won ONE national title, despite being possibly the best D-II head football coach of all time already? Because winning national championships is hard.
        Last edited by KleShreen; 11-28-2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Why do we keep doing this? Mitchell has the second-best winning percentage in all of D-II football during his career, trailing only Annese. Among coaches with 10+ years of experience, he's the active D-II winning percentage leader and 6th ALL TIME. Like y'all are so weird in trying to crush this guy simply because he isn't winning national titles like two current FBS coaches did. He's inarguably one of the best D-II football coaches of all time.
          Considering WMU just fired a guy that only had one bad season because they don't see him getting them to the new expanded playoff, I don't see them hiring a coach that hasn't even played for a D2 championship, especially if the other in-state option has dominated the head-to-head between the two and has a recent championship under his belt. If Mitchell makes it past Ferris this year and even just plays for a championship, his stock instantly rises. BUT...if GVSU moves up to FCS in the next couple years, I would think that would lead to higher coaching salaries, so a move to a dying Michigan directional might not be that enticing.

Comment

Considering WMU just fired a guy that only had one bad season because they don't see him getting them to the new expanded playoff, I don't see them hiring a coach that hasn't even played for a D2 championship, especially if the other in-state option has dominated the head-to-head between the two and has a recent championship under his belt. If Mitchell makes it past Ferris this year and even just plays for a championship, his stock instantly rises. BUT...if GVSU moves up to FCS in the next couple years, I would think that would lead to higher coaching salaries, so a move to a dying Michigan directional might not be that enticing.
            Not a single FBS school cares one iota about whether or not a D-II coach has played for a national title. Not a single one. They also don't care if they beat their rival. None of them. Nobody at Western Michigan, or any other FBS school, cares how any GV coach does against Ferris or how a Ferris coach does against GV.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Not a single FBS school cares one iota about whether or not a D-II coach has played for a national title. Not a single one. They also don't care if they beat their rival. None of them. Nobody at Western Michigan, or any other FBS school, cares how any GV coach does against Ferris or how a Ferris coach does against GV.
              We'll have to agree to disagree on whether an FBS program cares one iota about whether or not a D2 coach has played for a D2 national title. The head-to-head only comes into play if you have two in-state options that play in the same division in the same conference. If you have two of the best in D2 as your two options, do you pick the one with a championship and runner-up that has dominated the other or do you pick the alternative? At the end of the day, neither are going there. I'm just making a case that between the two, TA makes the most sense.

Comment

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether an FBS program cares one iota about whether or not a D2 coach has played for a D2 national title. The head-to-head only comes into play if you have two in-state options that play in the same division in the same conference. If you have two of the best in D2 as your two options, do you pick the one with a championship and runner-up that has dominated the other or do you pick the alternative? At the end of the day, neither are going there. I'm just making a case that between the two, TA makes the most sense.
                I agree neither of them are going there. But I would say one of them being 61 years old and near retirement is less desirable than a 48ish year old coach. There's a reason multiple MAC openings have come open which Annese should have been a slam dunk hire for, but he hasn't even been in the running for them.

Comment

Neither one is going. They'll get a retread off the D1 heap or a hot shot young OC looking to make a name.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X