Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
    Jay'viar Suggs also in the portal. He was third on the team in TFL last year and was only a freshman.

Uh. Oooooooooooooookay.

I know I'm always pessimistic on here, but even for my pessimistic self, this seems.........not great.
    Team threatens to up and leave if Becker doesn’t pick Wooster. Becker picks Wooster and some of the better players still up and leave. This is why you can’t let 18-22 year olds hijack an adult decision making process. Not saying Wooster was or wasn’t the right choice. It just speaks to how unreliable players are in the current climate and how what they say should be taken with only slightly more than a grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by GV Retired Bum View Post

Surprised more Ferris players didnt jump ship when your guys Middle backer got 20 offers
      Ferris had a lot seniors last year. On top of that (and throwing any shade but) the list of guys returning who have played and contributed who could transfer up to D1 is limited. Due to: D1 clock issues, already used their 1 time to transfer without sitting a year and/or past off the field issues.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Team threatens to up and leave if Becker doesn’t pick Wooster. Becker picks Wooster and some of the better players still up and leave. This is why you can’t let 18-22 year olds hijack an adult decision making process. Not saying Wooster was or wasn’t the right choice. It just speaks to how unreliable players are in the current climate and how what they say should be taken with only slightly more than a grain of salt.
        Please point out where the team threatened to leave if it wasnt Wooster? Becker talked to a lot of coaches as did the professional search firm that they hired...Wooster was the guy...period...when a kid gets a chance to go D1 on a full ride plus NIL money you think they were gonna stay? If they wanted to play they stay, if they want to get paid they leave...it really IS about the money, Period. Bowl game for 6-6 teams, food plans and NIL money...do the math...it isnt hard...these guy have bills to pay just like you and I...it isnt Wooster, he is out recruiting to replace em already or trying to keep them.

Comment

I don’t disagree with anything you said, but a large handful of players were threatening to leave if it wasn’t him. It’s not stuff that makes the news, so there is no paper trail to this claim. My point is that there was pressure from the team in the form of transferring out and it was a fairly significant number. I said then that the demands of the players should be a consideration but only a small one. Now we see star players transferring out anyway. I don’t begrudge their decisions. It just furthers the previous point.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsThortonMelon View Post

Please point out where the team threatened to leave if it wasnt Wooster? Becker talked to a lot of coaches as did the professional search firm that they hired...Wooster was the guy...period...when a kid gets a chance to go D1 on a full ride plus NIL money you think they were gonna stay? If they wanted to play they stay, if they want to get paid they leave...it really IS about the money, Period. Bowl game for 6-6 teams, food plans and NIL money...do the math...it isnt hard...these guy have bills to pay just like you and I...it isnt Wooster, he is out recruiting to replace em already or trying to keep them.
            How many significant contributors are Ferris, Mines, Delta, Angelo, Pitt, and NW Missouri losing to D1 schools?

We've had D1-quality players the entire time NIL has been introduced, but we've never seen an exodus like this. We haven't even lost a single significant contributor to a D1 school since.........I'm not sure. Who was the last one? Matt Stefanski to Arizona? That's about it. And most GV fans don't even know who he is. I know you're trying to paint a rosy picture, but there's obviously something happening here that hasn't been happening in the past.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

I'm sorry but if you think Wooster earned the job through the interview process you're wrong lol He was given the job because of the recommendation from Mitch, current staff, and players.

I'm not ready to pull the fire alarm because some young bucks are chasing after the $$ but lets not act like outside candidates got a fair shake at the job, Becker knew who she was going with before they talked to anyone else.

Still think Wooster is a good coach/leader though, I hope he can put us over the edge.

Comment

I'm sorry but if you think Wooster earned the job through the interview process you're wrong lol He was given the job because of the recommendation from Mitch, current staff, and players.

I'm not ready to pull the fire alarm because some young bucks are chasing after the $$ but lets not act like outside candidates got a fair shake at the job, Becker knew who she was going with before they talked to anyone else.

Still think Wooster is a good coach/leader though, I hope he can put us over the edge.
                Yeah, I didn't dislike the hire and quite honestly have no idea who the other candidates were. He may have definitely been the right guy for the job. I just don't like the strong-arm approach of threatening to transfer if it's not him. I didn't like it then and I'm reminded of it now that we're seeing players still transfer out. Again, I don't blame them for chasing D1 money. It's the big picture that doesn't sit right with me.

Comment

Yea I agree. I'm hopeful that Wooster is the right hire, regardless. He's gotten nothing but praise from everyone at both GV and Wayne, players and coaches alike. But this current exodus is not something GV has ever had to deal with before, so it raises eyebrows.

Comment

Yea I agree. I'm hopeful that Wooster is the right hire, regardless. He's gotten nothing but praise from everyone at both GV and Wayne, players and coaches alike. But this current exodus is not something GV has ever had to deal with before, so it raises eyebrows.
                    I do believe this is the new D2 football as we know it. It sucks but if a young dude balls out his first 2 seasons, he leaving. Especially from a GV or Ferris because other MAC/FCS programs understand the level of talent in our programs. If a guy is head and shoulder above his peers at GV, hes good enough to play at the MAC level

Comment

I do believe this is the new D2 football as we know it. It sucks but if a young dude balls out his first 2 seasons, he leaving. Especially from a GV or Ferris because other MAC/FCS programs understand the level of talent in our programs. If a guy is head and shoulder above his peers at GV, hes good enough to play at the MAC level
                      But this isn't happening at Ferris, or at any of the other top D2 schools. There's a couple here and there, but nothing like we're seeing with GV this spring. That's why I'm wondering what in the world is going on.

Comment

Like I said in a previous post: Now that there is no penalty for upward or lateral movement in transfers, I really think we're going to start to see a talent impact in D2. Players used to transfer to D2 for immediate playing time. Now they can go anywhere, including up from D2 to D1.

Comment

But this isn't happening at Ferris, or at any of the other top D2 schools. There's a couple here and there, but nothing like we're seeing with GV this spring. That's why I'm wondering what in the world is going on.
                          I don't think this is a head scratcher...

The two WR transfers wanted to go "D1"... every player wants to. So they knew the bare minimum they would receive an offer from Roundtree down in Texas and then they could make that choice between them and GV.

Suggs put his name in because of the attention those two have received.

From talking with current players, Nyzier is an elite talent. Everyone thinks he has the best chance in making it work. We shall see though.

This comes back to Wooster having to take a stance on all of this... He either has to tell them team they can always test the waters if they want or if they do decide to enter the portal they're no longer welcome back at GV. I think if he said the later, Suggs wouldn't have entered. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Like I said in a previous post: Now that there is no penalty for upward or lateral movement in transfers, I really think we're going to start to see a talent impact in D2. Players used to transfer to D2 for immediate playing time. Now they can go anywhere, including up from D2 to D1.
                            100% agree. Especially guys with 2+ years of eligibility. Its hard transferring, but if you can have 1 season where you make the travel roster and the next as your "breakout" year, its more enticing.

Comment

I don't think this is a head scratcher...

The two WR transfers wanted to go "D1"... every player wants to. So they knew the bare minimum they would receive an offer from Roundtree down in Texas and then they could make that choice between them and GV.

Suggs put his name in because of the attention those two have received.

From talking with current players, Nyzier is an elite talent. Everyone thinks he has the best chance in making it work. We shall see though.

This comes back to Wooster having to take a stance on all of this... He either has to tell them team they can always test the waters if they want or if they do decide to enter the portal they're no longer welcome back at GV. I think if he said the later, Suggs wouldn't have entered. Just my opinion.
                              Maybe. Is it possible Mitchell held the stance of don't put your name in the portal and expect to come back? And Wooster is more open to it? Is that what's going on? That would make more sense in terms of all this happening after spring practice and not after Wooster was announced.

Comment

I can't speak for other programs but the reason it isn't really happening at Ferris is due to their roster construction, especially the roster heading into next year. They rely a lot heavier on transfers (especially transfers with D1 clock issues which forces their hand to go D2). I would guess these are the guys who could potentially get FBS offers: Mitchell (can't -clock), Hunt-Thompson (off the field concerns), Wade (coming off an injury), Jefferson, Cooley, Bradford and Irving-Bey (Clock - also not sure if he is coming back). I could be missing someone off the top of my head but yes GV has had 4 guys leave but that's out of maybe 6 more guys who could as well. Based on by very very rough guess Ferris had 1 of 4 transfer, GV 4 of 10, so if your looking at % instead of # it's not a huge gulf, especially with the HC change.
                                Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 05-03-2023, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X