Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penalties and Refs

So… did the GLIAC instruct the refs to call EVERY holding to make up for never calling holding over the last decade??? The last two GV games have been brutal with the number of flags littering the field. Has it been like this for other teams, or is Grand Valley just the worst offender of holding of all time? Lol. I’m just hoping the game against Ferris isn’t marred by another ridiculous amount of penalties slowing the game down.

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
    So… did the GLIAC instruct the refs to call EVERY holding to make up for never calling holding over the last decade??? The last two GV games have been brutal with the number of flags littering the field. Has it been like this for other teams, or is Grand Valley just the worst offender of holding of all time? Lol. I’m just hoping the game against Ferris isn’t marred by another ridiculous amount of penalties slowing the game down.
    If it is, don't blame Ferris. The one thing we're known for is not getting penalties : )

But seriously there were some odd holding penalties against SV. Like on a kickoff when a returner was tackled and both teams were headed to the sideline and then a flag was thrown for holding. Happened on a couple of third downs too. Thought the fix was in until I seen some horrible calls against SV as well. Maybe they got new marching orders.

Comment

GLIAC has added some connection to Big Ten for refs. That may have precipitated the change, or the league just figured it's better. And apparently there has been a point of emphasis on holding this season. Not sure what that really means, but we've seen a bunch more holding calls this season. I'm thinking that still, tapes have been sent to the league and discussed. And there have been, let's just say, odd calls made and not made this season. Seems like more than usual and we're only half through. It'll be interesting how the FS/GV game gets called.

Comment

Gotta think that they are going to be going over a couple of the reviewed calls with a fine tooth comb and see if they got the calls right. We might need to get more schools to upgrade their cameras so that they can use more angles to look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerDad

The answer is YES. I asked my son and GV coaches talked to the refs about it and refs were told they were NOT calling enough holding penalties.
          I mean they're not wrong. For about 15 years on this board everyone has been complaining that the GLIAC never calls any holds. And now all of a sudden that they're calling holds at a reasonable rate, everyone is upset about it lol. It's an impossible ask.
          2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I mean they're not wrong. For about 15 years on this board everyone has been complaining that the GLIAC never calls any holds. And now all of a sudden that they're calling holds at a reasonable rate, everyone is upset about it lol. It's an impossible ask.
            Historically, the GLIAC had been the conf with teams leading the least penalized list. Now some are at the bottom. Even MTU which typically is near the top is like 119th. The rules enforcement has clearly changed in the GLIAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwing View Post

Historically, the GLIAC had been the conf with teams leading the least penalized list. Now some are at the bottom. Even MTU which typically is near the top is like 119th. The rules enforcement has clearly changed in the GLIAC.
              There's obviously going to be an adjustment. These programs have been playing for over a decade basically getting away with tackling defenders. Now all of a sudden that isn't happening. It will even out over time.
              2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Officiating in the GLIAC has been mediocre-at-best for the better part of the last few decades. Maybe a little tête-à-tête with the Big Ten will do some good...

Comment

As long as it's consistent across the board and refs aren't deciding games I'm fine with it. Either call it tight or let em play.

Comment

The MIAA refs just make arbitrary calls. Pick plays are never called. Holding and PI are allowed to happen all game, then they will call each once or twice, randomly. Late hits nd playing past the whistle are allowed to happen all game until it comes close to a brawl, then they will call one or 2 of those. It's just bizarre.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X