Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GVSU football stadium getting $6M addition as fanbase grows

D1 incoming?

At 23,000+ enrollment, Grand Valley has consistently ranked in the top 10 of NCAA D2 enrollments. However, I do not think D1 is in their near future. In the last few years, I heard many conversations about how GV has seen the movement of schools like Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan to D1 and has "learned from their mistakes". No doubt they are a powerhouse of D2 in athletics and that may be difficult to walk away from those successes.

Comment

It doesn't sound like this is really anything major. Just adding some bathrooms and concessions and a little bit of seating on an already-existing berm (I'm guessing that's where it'll go). I don't really think it is an indication of anything.

On top of that, the 2024 schedule is already up, and it's a full D2 schedule. Plus GV already has the 2025 and 2026 deal with West Texas A&M, which was done *after* the D1 rumors were going.

Now if they actually start work on a brand new press box and an additional tier of seating on the visitors side like the Master Plan called for, then I might give some more thought to the D1 rumors. But this doesn't seems to be that.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by BisonDivot View Post
        At 23,000+ enrollment, Grand Valley has consistently ranked in the top 10 of NCAA D2 enrollments. However, I do not think D1 is in their near future. In the last few years, I heard many conversations about how GV has seen the movement of schools like Central Michigan and Eastern Michigan to D1 and has "learned from their mistakes". No doubt they are a powerhouse of D2 in athletics and that may be difficult to walk away from those successes.
        I think the biggest problem with just about every MAC school is that they’re one football division too high. The entire conference should be in FCS.

Comment

I believe the blue area that I drew in on the right will be the extent of the seating increase.
          You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post
            I believe the blue area that I drew in on the right will be the extent of the seating increase.
            The seating is being added to the northwest corner, it says. They're essentially closing in the northwest corner. The opposite corner from where this photo was taken.
            2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
              It doesn't sound like this is really anything major. Just adding some bathrooms and concessions and a little bit of seating on an already-existing berm (I'm guessing that's where it'll go). I don't really think it is an indication of anything.

On top of that, the 2024 schedule is already up, and it's a full D2 schedule. Plus GV already has the 2025 and 2026 deal with West Texas A&M, which was done *after* the D1 rumors were going.

Now if they actually start work on a brand new press box and an additional tier of seating on the visitors side like the Master Plan called for, then I might give some more thought to the D1 rumors. But this doesn't seems to be that.
              Anybody got a link to the actual mockup of what they're going to do?? I saw an article about it earlier, but it didn't have a detailed drawing of what the plan is to do with this addition. Would really like to see them do a full overhall of the Visitors side so that there's a locker room with a little tunnel out to the away side bench along with a lot more seating in general, just so we don't have teams crossing each other at halftime or at the end of the game. Its a minor thing, but leads hotheads not into temptation.

Of course, I would also think that's it would be cool to put the mockup of a Laker ship right between the Student Section and 208 with the deck of the bow of the ship a good 10 feet up from where the sidewalk level is, there's a good railing there for leaning against it, maybe even a spot where they shoot promos where they're doing the King of the World bit or Jack and Rose at the bow, with kind of a party deck right there, and then a little further back there would be the superstructure and the bridge, we could put some suites there. But that's just me spitballing an idea that I think would be kinda cool, but probably tricky to pull off right.
              Last edited by bigmrg74; 11-16-2023, 12:28 AM.

Comment

The seating is being added to the northwest corner, it says. They're essentially closing in the northwest corner. The opposite corner from where this photo was taken.
                Yeah, that would be over towards the scoreboard. Probably easily get another thousand seats over there.

Comment

Just found the article and I see the northwest corner part. I honestly don’t think it will be seating. It says viewing areas. So im
                  thinking maybe like an elevated patio area.

Comment

Originally posted by BeachinLaker View Post

Just found the article and I see the northwest corner part. I honestly don’t think it will be seating. It says viewing areas. So im
                    thinking maybe like an elevated patio area.
                    That's my understanding too. I'm pretty sure the roof of the one of the buildings (alcohol sales??) will have an access. Not sure if it will be public or limited access (Athletic Club donors or just adults??) Most of the improvements there are concessions and rest rooms. Net should be a better experience for the fans.
                    Last edited by Redwing; 11-12-2023, 01:40 PM.

Comment

I’m hoping it’s some sort of patio/group area, kinda like what you find at minor league baseball stadiums. It would be great if it had its own concessions/alcohol bar and was less exclusive than the Hosford deck. That seems like a much better use than adding more seats. I don’t really see the need for any more seating—a packed smaller stadium looks way better than a bigger stadium with a ton of empty seats (like all the MAC stadiums).

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Of course, I would also think that's it would be cool to put the mockup of a Laker ship right between the Student Section with the deck of the bow of the ship a good 10 feet up from where the sidewalk level is, there's a good railing there for leaning against it, maybe even a spot where they shoot promos where they're doing the King of the World bit or Jack and Rose at the bow, with kind of a party deck right there, and then a little further back there would be the superstructure and the bridge, we could put some suites there. But that's just me spitballing an idea that I think would be kinda cool, but probably tricky to pull off right.
                        Back in the day a few of us used to call it The Shipyard (better than Little Big House imho). Always wanted an old time Great Lakes ship in the stadium, kind of like the Bucs have in Tampa.

Comment

Originally posted by GVLakerFan24 View Post
                          I’m hoping it’s some sort of patio/group area, kinda like what you find at minor league baseball stadiums. It would be great if it had its own concessions/alcohol bar and was less exclusive than the Hosford deck. That seems like a much better use than adding more seats. I don’t really see the need for any more seating—a packed smaller stadium looks way better than a bigger stadium with a ton of empty seats (like all the MAC stadiums).
                          I like this idea. As for the seating issue I wonder if more divisions in college football is the solution. Would two 6-3 MAC schools playing to an empty stadium In November become a sellout crowd if a national playoff birth is on the line?

Comment

If they do go the patio route I hope it’s open to all and not just something that’s super exclusive or for groups only. That white tent in the corner is the biggest waste of space in the stadium. Most games there’s no one even renting it out and it’s a bad view of the game anyway.

and even if MAC schools were in the FCS I don’t see them drawing huge crowds, even with a playoff on the line. The majority of people in this region will also care more about UM, MSU, OSU, and ND. It’s areas like Montana and the Dakotas that draw huge FCS crowds because there is no power 5 school competition

Comment

The issue I see is that the school is adding additional sports, such as Men’s and Women’s wrestling. Money is a huge factor in all this, as is the competitiveness. Remember, football has the FCS classification, but no other sport does. Women’s soccer has to beat UNC and Stanford for the national title. Men’s basketball has to go against Kansas and Kentucky. Wrestling would have to beat Penn State. It’s heading there, but still a long way off.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X