Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Northern Michigan should install the Option.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Michigan should install the Option.

Might just be the thing to cure their woes up there in Marquette, and if nothing else more, it lets everyone else get a look at how to stop an option attack once a year. Its either that or we talk Northwood into coming back and having them fire up the old woodbone again.

The option offense is a LOT harder to run than people think. Trust me I have done it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
      The option offense is a LOT harder to run than people think. Trust me I have done it!!!
      But the whole point of running it is that it gives an advantage to teams which don't have as much size and talent as their opponents. That is pretty much Northern Michigan.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

But the whole point of running it is that it gives an advantage to teams which don't have as much size and talent as their opponents. That is pretty much Northern Michigan.
        Not as much “talent” as who and doing what? It’s not having fatter and slower o lineman than the other fat and slow o lineman in your conference - that were already too fat and slow to play D1 - it’s a “different skill set” that’s required.

Comment

Sorry Kle but you are not even close to being right here...it take a different type of athlete and talent. But it take SKILL to run it and make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by BisonswithanS View Post

Not as much “talent” as who and doing what? It’s not having fatter and slower o lineman than the other fat and slow o lineman in your conference - that were already too fat and slow to play D1 - it’s a “different skill set” that’s required.
            Originally posted by champgymusa View Post

Sorry Kle but you are not even close to being right here...it take a different type of athlete and talent. But it take SKILL to run it and make it work.
            Literally the entire reason the service academies all the run the triple option is because they can't recruit the same athletes, passers, and offensive linemen that the rest of the country can due to size limitations and shallower talent pools just by their nature. I didn't think I was breaking news here lol. I never said anything about it not taking skill to be successful. That seems to be something you guys just attributed to me without my saying it. It's my favorite offense in all of football. It's what I would run if I were a coach. But there is zero argument that can be made against my saying that the biggest reason it is run in college is due to a lack of size on the line and athleticism at the skill positions, and it instead offsets that with misdirection and forcing the defense to be disciplined in tracking it. That's been the entire point of the offense from the very start of the game's history.

Comment

Literally the entire reason the service academies all the run the triple option is because they can't recruit the same athletes, passers, and offensive linemen that the rest of the country can due to size limitations and shallower talent pools just by their nature. I didn't think I was breaking news here lol. I never said anything about it not taking skill to be successful. That seems to be something you guys just attributed to me without my saying it. It's my favorite offense in all of football. It's what I would run if I were a coach. But there is zero argument that can be made against my saying that the biggest reason it is run in college is due to a lack of size on the line and athleticism at the skill positions, and it instead offsets that with misdirection and forcing the defense to be disciplined in tracking it. That's been the entire point of the offense from the very start of the game's history.
              Disagree...the difference is that the talent is in the O line. Check out the academies Center, Guard and Tackles...they might be as athletic as anyone on the field. Last post on this dont have 3 weeks to go back and forth.

Comment

I’m new here but what you write vs what you think you wrote doesn’t always seem to align. You said the flex bone are for teams that do not have as much size AND talent. Talent in this context ref skill. I would argue if you took the traditional 300 plus oline and asked them to do what Hardings line does, they would generally (not all but generally) not have the skill, talent, athleticism - what ever you want to call it - to pull it off and for 60 minutes. That by the way wouldn’t mean they were less talented or skilled - just not matched for what is asked of them. And literally ALL offenses utilize misdirection, complete with elements designed to confuse the defense included in every play. Same actually goes for every defense on every play. Misdirection isn’t just a Flex Bone element. Without “misdirection”, we’re all just running Oklahoma drills.

Comment

Originally posted by BisonswithanS View Post

I’m new here but what you write vs what you think you wrote doesn’t always seem to align. You said the flex bone are for teams that do not have as much size AND talent. Talent in this context ref skill. I would argue if you took the traditional 300 plus oline and asked them to do what Hardings line does, they would generally (not all but generally) not have the skill, talent, athleticism - what ever you want to call it - to pull it off and for 60 minutes. That by the way wouldn’t mean they were less talented or skilled - just not matched for what is asked of them. And literally ALL offenses utilize misdirection, complete with elements designed to confuse the defense included in every play. Same actually goes for every defense on every play. Misdirection isn’t just a Flex Bone element. Without “misdirection”, we’re all just running Oklahoma drills.
                  Why doesn't everyone run the flexbone?

Obviously all offenses use misdirection. But are you going to sit here and tell me that the misdirection that the flexbone presents is the same thing as we see in every NFL game in regards to play action, read options, and RPO's? The flexbone is an entirely different concept of misdirection. That's the entire purpose of it.

Talent =/= skill. I have zero talent. But I have very specific individual skills for certain tasks because I'm good at those specific tasks via specific training and practice. Talent and skill are not the same thing. "talent is generally used to refer to something that someone is naturally good at, while skill is generally used to refer to something a person becomes good at through practice and training"

Given the above quote, I will again say that the flexbone is generally run by teams because it gives them advantage on offense without having the same size (on the line) and talent (in the offensive skill positions) as other teams. There's a reason you don't see Alabama and Georgia running the flexbone. And if they did, they wouldn't be the best at it in the first few years they ran it. And there's a reason you don't see the academies going undefeated. And there's a reason that the academies aren't running a spread, pass-happy offense.

I'm just confused what we're even doing here right now. I've not said anything that isn't common knowledge already.
                  Last edited by KleShreen; 12-10-2023, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Option QBs need a very unique skillset, too. Most casual fans see them as running backs, but they have to make presnap reads similar to a QB, on the fly reads like a rb, as well as reads that only option qbs have to make.

They often have more responsibilities than most modern college Qb's.

Comment

What it does these days is allow teams to recruit players with a different skillset than the players everyone else is fighting over.

Comment

Why is the flexbone being associated with misdirection? Unless you're a wing t team running some option, the flexbone is more about quickness physically and mentally (processing real time data as stated above) than most other offenses. I think the fact Harding is so successful at it despite the changes that have been made in reference to cut blocking outside the box is amazing.

Northwood ran flexbone for years and actually won the GLIAC in 99', 2000 and 2004 but nothing since then. I'd love to see Nothern Mich go back to the old Wing T that Mich Tech use to run. Sprinkle in a lil option and some waggles.

Drive all these new aged, no huddle spread fans nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                          Why is the flexbone being associated with misdirection? Unless you're a wing t team running some option, the flexbone is more about quickness physically and mentally (processing real time data as stated above) than most other offenses. I think the fact Harding is so successful at it despite the changes that have been made in reference to cut blocking outside the box is amazing.

Northwood ran flexbone for years and actually won the GLIAC in 99', 2000 and 2004 but nothing since then. I'd love to see Nothern Mich go back to the old Wing T that Mich Tech use to run. Sprinkle in a lil option and some waggles.

Drive all these new aged, no huddle spread fans nuts.
                          Heck, I'm just suggesting it so that the next time GVSU runs into Harding in the playoffs again, they've would have had a week of practice where they've seen the option being ran. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Heck, I'm just suggesting it so that the next time GVSU runs into Harding in the playoffs again, they've would have had a week of practice where they've seen the option being ran. ;-)
                            Not sure playing a team like NMU with that O would make any difference. AND, the GV D had no issue playing Harding. Stat and score wise, it was one of their best performances (if not the best) of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post

Why? we shut that thing down...gave up 7 points is all. Lewis and staff are elite and know how to slow it down. Giving up 7 points generally results in a win.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X