Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I remember when GV somehow didn't face Northwood for three straight years, 2014-16, even though they were in the same division of the GLIAC lol.
    Wasn't that the days of the "pods?" Tony's comments are correct, but it seems forever since there has been stability with GLAIC teams. Let's see how long this group stays static.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post

Nothing is messed up. As stated in a previous post, the GLIAC uses two-year schedule cycles. Once a cycle is complete, the new one starts and that can put a team at either place. Back when the league was relatively static with a ten-game slate (think the 2000's), we saw this happen often where a team would play an opponent at their place two years in a row. Year two of the cycle competed the H@H, and the following year, Year One of the new cycle started another H@H. Over time, the # of home dates is equivalent.

The league would do what they could to avoid such occurrences, but they were/are inevitable in spots. Adding/removing teams can have an impact, but it's not the driver. There really isn't anything usual about it. Simply the nature of two-year cycles.
      I am going to ask you a simple question. How much experience do you have creating schedules for sports teams in any sport? This is a simple question that requires nothing more than a simple answer.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Still true in football to an extent.

In-region winning percentage is a specific criteria considered. So is D2 winning percentage, but in-region wins still allow for a double dip in to the qualifying criteria. Plus, in this specific instance, taking in to account the likelihood of a loss is much higher as compared to a team that might have a similar record from the GLVC. An 8-3 West Florida is less valuable for the selection criteria than an 8-3 McKendree, for instance. (Not saying McKendree and West Florida might finish with the same record, of course, just using it as an example)
        I think there is a key reason why playing West Florida is better even if it is an out of region game. Yes, it does mean 1 less in region contest for GVSU, but it is also highly likely that when additional components are taken into account, such as SOS, that playing West Florida will be more beneficial than playing an in-region GLVC opponent.

What is the basis for this opinion. Overall the GLVC was 13-15 in non conference play (excluding playoffs), while the GSC was 11-10. (I don't look at non-DII opponents for this rough calculation). This may not seem like a ton, but I think it makes a difference. I think there is also an expectation that the GSC's bottom half may get better in non-conference games, while the same may not be said for the GLVC teams.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

I am going to ask you a simple question. How much experience do you have creating schedules for sports teams in any sport? This is a simple question that requires nothing more than a simple answer.
          LOL. The fact that you ask your question in such a fashion indicates you aren't open to any nuance. It also intimates that you have said experience, which is cool. You want me to answer "no" so you can be an authority, and then dismiss my position. I'll play along: I don't have any experience in creating schedules.

BUT...turnabout is fair play: I am going to ask you a simple question. How many conversations have you had with the people who create these schedules, including seeing them ahead of their release? It's a simple question that requires nothing more than a simple answer.

Reread what I wrote: Additions/removals of teams can impact the schedule. No doubt. However, when there were no changes to the league roster, we have STILL had instances of teams playing at the same place two years in a row. This is a result of the use of the schedule cycles the GLIAC has traditionally used. This is not a new phenomenon, and is not exclusively the result of there being an additional team in the league.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X