X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GVSU vs West Florida

GV adds another good game to there schedule

https://gvsulakers.com/news/2023/12/...l-matchup.aspx

That's a nice pick-up. I wonder how many more years that GV can fill their schedule. Finding 4 good games every year is tough.. let alone when the pool is small. At least '24 is set (though having that D3 contest is what it is.)

Comment

I use to get excited for these kinds of games, but considering how competitive the region is and will continue to be, I'd rather fill it with a bunch of cupcake opponents whenever possible. It is imperative to get the #1 seed in SR3 right now for 2024, and will be imperative for both SR3 and SR4 in 2025. And especially when we're gonna have a non-countable game with a D3? One loss is probably going to be enough to keep you out of the playoff in 2024, or at the very least prevent you from having a first round home game. Two will almost assuredly eliminate you from the playoff all together.

Not to mention, Argonaut's (the poster, not UWF lol) data on many of the recent national champions having an easier early-season schedule is hard to ignore at this point given how consistent it has been.
      2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

Not to mention, Argonaut's (the poster, not UWF lol) data on many of the recent national champions having an easier early-season schedule is hard to ignore at this point given how consistent it has been.
        Criteria needs to be modified.

Comment

Is it a typo or do we play you guys at Lubbers again during reg season next year?

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
            Is it a typo or do we play you guys at Lubbers again during reg season next year?
            GLIAC has, traditionally, done two-year schedule cycles. If the cycles align in such a fashion, teams can definitely play in the same spot twice in two years. Quick glance at GV's schedule shows they are at SV for the second year in a row next year also...

Comment

You think this game was filled with WF because Pitt is in region?

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
                You think this game was filled with WF because Pitt is in region?
                I was hoping GV would take McKendree as a game for that week. In-region wins mean more than out-of-region wins.

Comment

I don’t think the in region versus out of region wins actually matter (I know they are supposed to) what I think does matter is that loss, that could keep one out of the playoffs cone selection Sunday, or keep someone from getting a home game if they are in region.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                    You are at GVSU again next year. Remember next year's schedule for the GLIAC has an added team (Roosevelt), so they had to change things up. GVSU is at SVSU two years in a row.

When a conference adds a team is messes up the home and away aspect of the schedules. I think the GLIAC has one hard and fast rule on scheduling and that is to not have teams make two trips to the UP in a season. As a result, other games need to be moved around.

Going from 6 to 7 conference games meant some teams had to have 4 home conference games and others 3. GVSU next year has only 3 home GLIAC games (Ferris, WSU and NMU) while playing 4 road games.

I do find the UW-Lacrosse game interesting, as this will be the second meeting in 4 seasons between these two schools. UW-L also played NMU this season, WSU in 2022 (and beat both of them). In 2021 UW-L gvae GVSU a game for awhile before the Laker's pulled away. Scheduling these games makes me wonder if UW-L isn't looking to potentially position themsevles to move up to D2 at some point (if the laws / regulations in Wisconsin change regarding athletic budgeting and the UW System leadership changes some of their opinions).

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

You are at GVSU again next year. Remember next year's schedule for the GLIAC has an added team (Roosevelt), so they had to change things up. GVSU is at SVSU two years in a row.

When a conference adds a team is messes up the home and away aspect of the schedules. I think the GLIAC has one hard and fast rule on scheduling and that is to not have teams make two trips to the UP in a season. As a result, other games need to be moved around.

Going from 6 to 7 conference games meant some teams had to have 4 home conference games and others 3. GVSU next year has only 3 home GLIAC games (Ferris, WSU and NMU) while playing 4 road games.

I do find the UW-Lacrosse game interesting, as this will be the second meeting in 4 seasons between these two schools. UW-L also played NMU this season, WSU in 2022 (and beat both of them). In 2021 UW-L gvae GVSU a game for awhile before the Laker's pulled away. Scheduling these games makes me wonder if UW-L isn't looking to potentially position themsevles to move up to D2 at some point (if the laws / regulations in Wisconsin change regarding athletic budgeting and the UW System leadership changes some of their opinions).
                      If Roosevelt coming in means we don't have to go and schedule Fast Eddie's Daycare just to get 9/10 games for a season, I'm all for it. I'm hoping we can get another top tier FCS school, maybe a Valdosta or Delta State would be cool along with another SR3 team. Not even holding my breath for an 11 game schedule.

While we're talking, go shine that Anchor Bone trophy up for us, it's coming home to daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post

I was hoping GV would take McKendree as a game for that week. In-region wins mean more than out-of-region wins.
                        Not true in football.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Not true in football.
                          Still true in football to an extent.

SELECTION CRITERIA The following criteria shall be employed by a governing sport committee in selecting participants for NCAA championships competition [Reference: Bylaw 18.4.3 in the NCAA Division II Manual; Criteria for Selection of Participants]:

● Availability of student-athletes for NCAA championships; and
                          ● Nullification.

Required Selection Criteria.

Following confirmation of the availability of student-athletes for NCAA Championships and the application for any nullification, the following selection criteria shall be applied in no particular order:

● In-region winning percentage;
                          ● Division II winning percentage;
                          ● Division II strength of schedule (opponents’ average winning percentage and opponents’ opponents’ average winning percentage);
                          ● Division II head-to-head competition; and
                          ● Results versus Division II common opponents.

In addition to Bylaw 18.4.3, the Division II Football Committee has received approval from the Division II Championships Committee to consider the following criteria in the selection of at-large teams for the Division II Football Championship (not necessarily in priority order):

● Division II results vs. teams with a winning record;
                          ● Performance Indicator (PI); and
                          ● Results versus ranked Division II opponents.

Once the opponents’ average winning percentage (OWP) and opponents’ opponents’ winning percentage (OOWP) are calculated, they are to be combined on a weighted scale (e.g., 2/3 weight for OWP and 1/3 weight for OOWP) and this combined number becomes the strength of schedule. Additionally, input is provided by regional advisory committees for consideration by the football committee
                          In-region winning percentage is a specific criteria considered. So is D2 winning percentage, but in-region wins still allow for a double dip in to the qualifying criteria. Plus, in this specific instance, taking in to account the likelihood of a loss is much higher as compared to a team that might have a similar record from the GLVC. An 8-3 West Florida is less valuable for the selection criteria than an 8-3 McKendree, for instance. (Not saying McKendree and West Florida might finish with the same record, of course, just using it as an example)

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post

When a conference adds a team is messes up the home and away aspect of the schedules.
                            Nothing is messed up. As stated in a previous post, the GLIAC uses two-year schedule cycles. Once a cycle is complete, the new one starts and that can put a team at either place. Back when the league was relatively static with a ten-game slate (think the 2000's), we saw this happen often where a team would play an opponent at their place two years in a row. Year two of the cycle competed the H@H, and the following year, Year One of the new cycle started another H@H. Over time, the # of home dates is equivalent.

The league would do what they could to avoid such occurrences, but they were/are inevitable in spots. Adding/removing teams can have an impact, but it's not the driver. There really isn't anything unusual about it. Simply the nature of two-year cycles.
                            Last edited by Tony Nicolette; 12-21-2023, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Nicolette View Post

Nothing is messed up. As stated in a previous post, the GLIAC uses two-year schedule cycles. Once a cycle is complete, the new one starts and that can put a team at either place. Back when the league was relatively static with a ten-game slate (think the 2000's), we saw this happen often where a team would play an opponent at their place two years in a row. Year two of the cycle competed the H@H, and the following year, Year One of the new cycle started another H@H. Over time, the # of home dates is equivalent.

The league would do what they could to avoid such occurrences, but they were/are inevitable in spots. Adding/removing teams can have an impact, but it's not the driver. There really isn't anything usual about it. Simply the nature of two-year cycles.
                              I remember when GV somehow didn't face Northwood for three straight years, 2014-16, even though they were in the same division of the GLIAC lol.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X