Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signing Day 2024

GLIAC has a signing day post up with relevant links. No releases yet with lists of names, but it looks like mostly everyone is tweeting out the signings one by one if you want to check them out.

https://gliac.org/sports/fball/2023-...24_Signing_Day

I'm not sure what's going on with Roosevelt. I don't see that they have any kind of promotion for signing day, so I'm assuming they're still subject to the NAIA signing day schedule.

Here's the school releases with the actual players listed, I'll add them as they are posted:

Davenport: https://dupanthers.com/news/2024/2/7...ing-class.aspx

Ferris State: https://ferrisstatebulldogs.com/spor...20240206y1ifde

Grand Valley State: https://gvsulakers.com/news/2024/2/7...gning-day.aspx

Michigan Tech: https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...20240207mponhx

Northern Michigan: https://nmuwildcats.com/sports/2024/...gning-day.aspx

Saginaw Valley State: https://www.svsucardinals.com/sports...20240207hx88tz

Wayne State: https://wsuathletics.com/news/2024/2...s-of-2024.aspx
    Last edited by KleShreen; 02-07-2024, 04:20 PM.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

I don't really follow high school football at all. All I watched were the GV signing's 1-minute highlight videos that went along with the tweets, and my favorite players just based off that are DT Josh Williams, DT Camren Vansolkema, DT Ronald Jackson, DB Sopuruchi Ojinnaka, and DE David Osagiede. The entire defensive line group looks incredible from those highlights. They're dominating everything, which is what you want to see in a highlight, obviously.

There's a lot of solid LB's, there's a couple that look more like pass rushers/guys who play in the backfield, and then a couple who look like they're more of that hybrid linebacker/safety spot, better in coverage.

I'm a little surprised that there's only two WR's on the signee list, neither one of them very tall. I feel like that was one place last year that we lacked was some size at the WR position. Didn't have anyone able to go up and get those 50/50 balls like GV usually has, particularly in the red zone. Granted, that forced the offense to have more variety in getting receivers open in the middle of the field. I would just like to see GV grab that 6'4" guy with a big vertical that can dominate DB's, like Jahdae Walker did.

The two QB's, I'm kinda glad they're both from bigger schools. I think it is good when QB's have faced better competition in high school compared to most other positions. If I'm not mistaken, both their schools were either D1 or D2 in Michigan. Schuster is a lefty, do any of the older GV fans here know the last time GV had a left-handed QB? My history only goes back to Anes, and as far as I can remember, we haven't had one in that time frame. The other thing that seems noticeable about them is that they are basically in the same mold, in terms of what they're good at, as Cade and Avery were. You have one guy who is a good passer with the ability to run, and one guy who is a good runner with the ability to pass. I wonder if the 2-QB system is something that is going to be a constant at GV under Wooster.

Curious to know what the range on the kicker is, Jay Cady. His highlight had him crushing some balls and getting a TON of height on his field goals, but the longest field goal in the highlight I think was 40 yards.

TLDR: Defensive signees look wildly impressive, particularly along the defensive line. Not very many offensive signees.
    Last edited by KleShreen; 02-07-2024, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LakerDad
      I agree on the DL. It was clearly an emphasis in the staff's recruiting as we needed depth there and it appears they did a great job.

I know GV had an offer out to a WR in Indiana who was 6'4" but he stayed local and signed with Marian. Vermaas is only 6'0" but appears to be a fantastic overall athlete at WR.

I watched the status of recruiting for months. We have at least 4-5 kids who had both GV and Ferris offers and they signed with us. I know of only one who went the other way to Ferris. Yes, that makes me happy. There may be others either way that I'm not aware of.
      Hopefully we get some kind of release/new roster put out with transfer information on it. Generally GV doesn't ever advertise transfers, though. Some schools include them on their signing day list, but I don't think GV ever has.

Comment

Does Davenport have a large number of academic scholarships or a real low cost to attend or something like that? 48 player class, including transfers!

Comment

Originally posted by mtsax305 View Post
          Does Davenport have a large number of academic scholarships or a real low cost to attend or something like that? 48 player class, including transfers!
          I am assuming that is part of it. 48 is also not a whole lot more that would happens on occasion, in the past there has been GLIAC teams in the mid 40s. Both GVSU and FSU have had classes at like 43-45 with in the past handful of years. Another thing with Davenport is that most years they have a ton of players transfer out or stop playing football as well. I haven't done a deep dive on who has left this off-season but off the top of my head I have seen 10-15 at least.
          Last edited by Gliac_fan10; 02-08-2024, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I did an entirely stupid and non-sensical thing.

I went through all of the school's recruiting classes and saw if they had profiles on 247sports, and here's how it shakes out by team. Position listed on the commit list by the school, name, star-status and position on 247, state ranking on 247, and then national ranking at their position on 247. And then I also put which FBS schools were listed as having offered that player. That doesn't mean a scholarship, it could just mean they were offered preferred walk-on positions.

Davenport
            LB Davion Hill - 3-star ATH, #32 in MI, #153 ATH in nation (CMU, Kentucky, West Virginia)
            WR Daniel Rucker - 2-star WR, #94 in MI, #397 WR in nation

Ferris State
            SL Jawon Jarrett - 3-star ATH, #33 in MI, #154 ATH in nation (Marshall, BGSU, CMU, Miami OH, Toledo)
            DB D'Mari Jenkins - 3-star S, #263 in FL, #208 S in nation (Appalachian State, FAU, Liberty, Pittsburgh)
            DB Larenzo Jennings - 2-star CB, #92 in MI, #265 CB in nation (Kentucky)
            DB Jalen Johnson - 2-star ATH, #85 in MI, #325 ATH in nation (BGSU, CMU, EMU)
            LB Elijah Parker - 2-star S, #83 in MI, #283 S in nation (BGSU, CMU, Marshall, Miami OH, WMU)
            DE Kaleb Parrish - 2-star Edge, #70 in MI, #190 Edge in nation
            RB Colbey Reed - 2-star RB, #99 in MI, #216 RB in nation
            OL Ryan Ross - 2-star OL, #64 in MI, #259 IOL in nation (Army)
            SL Kevin Simes - 3-star ATH, #49 in MI, #240 ATH in nation (BGSU)
            WR Glenn Smith - 3-star WR, #225 in FL, #225 WR in nation (Appalachian State, CMU, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, Marshall, UMass, WMU)
            OL Jaylen Washington - 2-star OL, #108 in MI, #334 IOL in nation

Grand Valley State
            OL Evan Curtiss - 2-star OL, #101 in MI, #323 IOL in nation
            DB Sopuruchi Ojinnaka - 2-star ATH, #68 in MI, #291 ATH in nation (CMU)
            QB Zak Olejniczak - 2-star QB, #105 in MI, #223 QB in nation
            DL David Osagiede - 2-star DE, #77 in MI, #192 EDGE in nation
            QB Andrew Schuster - 2-star QB, #100 in MI, #218 QB in nation
            DL Camren Vansolkema - 2-star DL, #96 in MI, #319 DL in nation
            LB Isaiah Veatch - 2-star LB, #104 in MI, #316 LB in nation
            DL Josh Williams - 2-star DL, #71 in MI, #286 DL in nation (CMU)

Michigan Tech
            OL Miguel Botello - 3-star OL, #50 in MI, #223 IOL in nation (EMU)
            WR Jaxon Lippert - 2-star ATH, #91 in MI, #353 ATH in nation

Northern Michigan
            LB Kennarius Chandler - 2-star LB, #97 in IL, #286 LB in nation
            OL Sebastian Luevano - 2-star OT, #48 in WI, #255 OT in nation

Saginaw Valley State
            OLB Joey DeBrincat - 2-star EDGE, #73 in MI, #191 EDGE in nation
            LB Leo Garcia - 2-star LB, #88 in MI, #292 LB in nation (Army)
            CB/RB Elisee Kanda - 2-star CB, #109 in MI, #277 CB in nation
            WR Kavon Mathews - 2-star WR, #111 in MI, #410 WR in nation
            RB Gavin Noonan - 2-star WR, #98 in MI, #398 WR in nation
            SL Destin Pigee - 2-star ATH, #81 in MI, #319 ATH in nation
            LB Willie Powell - 2-star LB, #65 in MI, #269 LB in nation (Air Force, Arkansas State, Army, BGSU, EMU, Navy, WMU)
            DL Ty Robertson - 2-star ATH, #72 in MI, #292 ATH in nation

Wayne State
            ATH M'Khi Guy - 2-star QB, #106 in MI, #228 QB in nation
            CB Amire Harris - Not ranked (Air Force, Army, Ball State)
            CB Joseph Stephens - 2-star CB, #107 in MI, #276 CB in nation

If you put them in order by state ranking, here's what it looks like. This is only guys who are ranked in the MI rankings per 247:

Davenport LB Davion Hill - 3-star ATH, #32 in MI, #153 ATH in nation (CMU, Kentucky, West Virginia)
            Ferris State SL Jawon Jarrett - 3-star ATH, #33 in MI, #154 ATH in nation (Marshall, BGSU, CMU, Miami OH, Toledo)
            Ferris State SL Kevin Simes - 3-star ATH, #49 in MI, #240 ATH in nation (BGSU)
            Michigan Tech OL Miguel Botello - 3-star OL, #50 in MI, #223 IOL in nation (EMU)
            Ferris State OL Ryan Ross - 2-star OL, #64 in MI, #259 IOL in nation (Army)
            Saginaw Valley State LB Willie Powell - 2-star LB, #65 in MI, #269 LB in nation (Air Force, Arkansas State, Army, BGSU, EMU, Navy, WMU)
            Grand Valley State DB Sopuruchi Ojinnaka - 2-star ATH, #68 in MI, #291 ATH in nation (CMU)
            Ferris State DE Kaleb Parrish - 2-star Edge, #70 in MI, #190 Edge in nation
            Grand Valley State DL Josh Williams - 2-star DL, #71 in MI, #286 DL in nation (CMU)
            Saginaw Valley State DL Ty Robertson - 2-star ATH, #72 in MI, #292 ATH in nation
            Saginaw Valley State OLB Joey DeBrincat - 2-star EDGE, #73 in MI, #191 EDGE in nation
            Grand Valley State DL David Osagiede - 2-star DE, #77 in MI, #192 EDGE in nation
            Saginaw Valley StateSL Destin Pigee - 2-star ATH, #81 in MI, #319 ATH in nation
            Ferris State LB Elijah Parker - 2-star S, #83 in MI, #283 S in nation (BGSU, CMU, Marshall, Miami OH, WMU)
            Ferris State DB Jalen Johnson - 2-star ATH, #85 in MI, #325 ATH in nation (BGSU, CMU, EMU)
            Saginaw Valley State LB Leo Garcia - 2-star LB, #88 in MI, #292 LB in nation (Army)
            Michigan Tech WR Jaxon Lippert - 2-star ATH, #91 in MI, #353 ATH in nation
            Ferris State DB Larenzo Jennings - 2-star CB, #92 in MI, #265 CB in nation (Kentucky)
            Davenport WR Daniel Rucker - 2-star WR, #94 in MI, #397 WR in nation
            Grand Valley State DL Camren Vansolkema - 2-star DL, #96 in MI, #319 DL in nation
            Saginaw Valley State RB Gavin Noonan - 2-star WR, #98 in MI, #398 WR in nation
            Ferris State RB Colbey Reed - 2-star RB, #99 in MI, #216 RB in nation
            Grand Valley State QB Andrew Schuster - 2-star QB, #100 in MI, #218 QB in nation
            Grand Valley State OL Evan Curtiss - 2-star OL, #101 in MI, #323 IOL in nation
            Grand Valley State LB Isaiah Veatch - 2-star LB, #104 in MI, #316 LB in nation
            Grand Valley State QB Zak Olejniczak - 2-star QB, #105 in MI, #223 QB in nation
            Wayne State ATH M'Khi Guy - 2-star QB, #106 in MI, #228 QB in nation
            Wayne State CB Joseph Stephens - 2-star CB, #107 in MI, #276 CB in nation
            Ferris State OL Jaylen Washington - 2-star OL, #108 in MI, #334 IOL in nation
            Saginaw Valley State CB/RB Elisee Kanda - 2-star CB, #109 in MI, #277 CB in nation
            Saginaw Valley State WR Kavon Mathews - 2-star WR, #111 in MI, #410 WR in nation

And then here's the out-of-state guys, ranked by their national position:

Ferris State DB D'Mari Jenkins - 3-star S, #263 in FL, #208 S in nation (Appalachian State, FAU, Liberty, Pittsburgh)
            Ferris State WR Glenn Smith - 3-star WR, #225 in FL, #225 WR in nation (Appalachian State, CMU, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, Marshall, UMass, WMU)
            Northern Michigan OL Sebastian Luevano - 2-star OT, #48 in WI, #255 OT in nation
            Northern Michigan LB Kennarius Chandler - 2-star LB, #97 in IL, #286 LB in nation

Pretty interesting to see it laid out like that.

Comment

Based on this it appears Ferris had a good recruiting class. I see Chuck Martin had his eyes on a couple of their recruits.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
                Schuster is a lefty, do any of the older GV fans here know the last time GV had a left-handed QB?
                Isaiah Grimes is the only one I'm remembering. Not even sure I'm right?

Comment

Originally posted by Irishlaker View Post

Isaiah Grimes is the only one I'm remembering. Not even sure I'm right?
                  Nah, he was a righty as well.

Tim Nott said on the recruiting press conference video that there hasn't been one since he has been there, which has been a while, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by tip79 View Post
                    Based on this it appears Ferris had a good recruiting class. I see Chuck Martin had his eyes on a couple of their recruits.
                    Best part of this class is there's no 5'5 - 5'6 guys. TA said they put an emphasis on size and it showed. A few DBs in the 6'2- 6'4 range and a 6'5 wide out. Still got their complimentary 5'9 slots and a few 300lb lineman. Also stated they needed to get a lot of depth at DB and not so much at OL/DL. Think they took 9 DBs.

25-MI
                    11-FL
                    1-OH

Only 1 qb but did say they got 6 mid-year transfers and I'm sure there's some other portal guys we won't know about until the season.

Comment

[QUOTE=KleShreen;n813902]GLIAC has a signing day post up with relevant links. No releases yet with lists of names, but it looks like mostly everyone is tweeting out the signings one by one if you want to check them out.

https://gliac.org/sports/fball/2023-...24_Signing_Day

I'm not sure what's going on with Roosevelt. I don't see that they have any kind of promotion for signing day, so I'm assuming they're still subject to the NAIA signing day schedule.

based on Roosevelts twitter:
                      Transfers:
                      Cyrus Zuell - RB - Southeastern Louisiana
                      Joey Richmond- RB - Dartmouth College
                      Bruno Prosper Kanam - RB - Grossmont College/Virgnina University Of Lynchburg
                      Michael Peyton - LB - Notre Dame College
                      Derik Lawing- DE- Butte College
                      Austin Haygood - LB - Notre Dame College
                      David Guerrero - OL- Citrus College
                      Parker Grimes - TE- UT-Permian Basin
                      Kaleo Gomes - DL - Los Medanos College
                      Blake Gilliam - LB - Wayne State University
                      Dale Dambek -DE - Quincy University
                      Jack Buford - OL - University Of Arizona
                      Michael Bolds- CB - Butte College

HIGH SCHOOl:
                      James Barry - OL - Providence Catholic