X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U Indy 2017

My assessment as the season winds down:

The Good
    1) They definitely battled a nightmare of a schedule early on and came out smelling pretty. Learned to play 4 quarters this year.
    2) Nice mix of pass/run with a nice mix of personnel involved on offense. And nice mix of guys stepping up on defense - love the 3rd down passing situations!
    3) I believe they have limited the injury status to just two or three "outs" per game so far. (One being OL Kyle Ball for the season)

The Bad
    1) Don't think privates normally can handle more than two starters out to injuries.
    2) Playing a weaker schedule of late doesn't get you ready for the playoffs.
    3) Playing a lot of younger guys. Are they progressing and growing or getting worn down?

The Ugly
    1) Don't seem to have the depth that the GLIACs have. This isn't an issue only if they can get and stay healthy.
    2) Don't think Malik Higgins has been back to 100% all season. 1,000 plus yards last year. Need to get him involved too and give opponents another worry.
    3) Don't care for the railcars! I understand there are tracks that run though the west end of campus. But why not remodel with big viewing windows and wrap around decks or rooftops seats?? Don't get it. (Also don't like the victory bell. Screams "high school". Hang it from a collar on a dog statue.)

Re: U Indy 2017

U Indy limping into the playoffs with I see 4 of the their top 5 skill guys out:

Juice - lock up corner & punt returner
    Tuwan - hybrid back/receiver plus outstanding KO returner
    St Louis - Purichia's go to receiver
    Fab Frosh - 1,000 yard rusher

Plus Malik Higgins just getting back from being out to his norm production. If they can get by their first playoff game maybe they'll get a skill guy or two back for game 2?

Comment

Originally posted by michiganfb View Post
      U Indy limping into the playoffs with I see 4 of the their top 5 skill guys out:

Juice - lock up corner & punt returner
      Tuwan - hybrid back/receiver plus outstanding KO returner
      St Louis - Purichia's go to receiver
      Fab Frosh - 1,000 yard rusher

Plus Malik Higgins just getting back from being out to his norm production. If they can get by their first playoff game maybe they'll get a skill guy or two back for game 2?
      Making excuses already? Harding is the team everybody is trashing for even being in the playoffs. According to those people it should be a walkover for Indy.................word

Comment

Update: The WR is a no go (according to my contact). U Indy definitely strong this year - took down good GLIAC teams and 8-2 NDC to be 11-0, ranked as high at 5th nationally, etc. But don't count Harding or any team out. Reason we play the game.

Comment

My assessment as the season winds down:

The Good
          1) They definitely battled a nightmare of a schedule early on and came out smelling pretty. Learned to play 4 quarters this year.
          2) Nice mix of pass/run with a nice mix of personnel involved on offense. And nice mix of guys stepping up on defense - love the 3rd down passing situations!
          3) I believe they have limited the injury status to just two or three "outs" per game so far. (One being OL Kyle Ball for the season)

The Bad
          1) Don't think privates normally can handle more than two starters out to injuries.
          2) Playing a weaker schedule of late doesn't get you ready for the playoffs.
          3) Playing a lot of younger guys. Are they progressing and growing or getting worn down?

The Ugly
          1) Don't seem to have the depth that the GLIACs have. This isn't an issue only if they can get and stay healthy.
          2) Don't think Malik Higgins has been back to 100% all season. 1,000 plus yards last year. Need to get him involved too and give opponents another worry.
          3) Don't care for the railcars! I understand there are tracks that run though the west end of campus. But why not remodel with big viewing windows and wrap around decks or rooftops seats?? Don't get it. (Also don't like the victory bell. Screams "high school". Hang it from a collar on a dog statue.)
          Better find that depth for when UIndy joins the GLIAC :wink:

Comment

Would love U Indy in the GLIAC. Hillsdale, Ohio Dominican and Findlay leaving doesn't help get them there for me. Those were the nice road trips and rivalry games for U Indy football and basketball (Findlay). Will be interesting to see what Ashland does.

Don't see privates surviving/thriving in a predominately public school conference like GLIAC. Northwood location doesn't give them a choice. Still would like to see U Indy play more Michigan or Ohio teams rather than Missouri and Illinois. U Indy without depth has always been their weakness. Bart runs a "develop guys" team. Takes 2-3 years before I guy should see the field. Think the few transfers they do have make a big difference. For me the OG that started an entire season at Lousville is their MVP.

Comment

Ready for this weekend. Looks like Harding still running the triple option! With an occasional play action pass out of it. U Indy pro set balanced pass/run. Looks like the frosh RB will play. Juice Williams out but the back up corner is more a tackler and Williams a cover guy. Also heard rain expected but might clear off by 1pm start. Rain can hurt the the option as much as the passing game?? Looking forward to seeing two teams that don't know each other very well.

Comment

Michiganfb always has a fair take on UIndy. I'm not sure I agree with his depth issue on this particular team, but in general, over time, I do. UIndy takes a bashing on this site, mainly because of playing in the GLVC. To be honest, I get it, the GLVC does not play good football. However, I believe underestimating UIndy this year would be a mistake. This team is more than dangerous. Offense is one of the best D2 squads I've seen. Extremely balanced, Pass, Run, Short game, Deep threats, I'd like to see a more developed screen game, but I'm being picky. Every skill player on Offense can get the ball. 4 - Deep at RB (Looks like all will play Saturday), they did loss Garrett Willis for the season last week (That kid can play, I'd say he was our #1WR), but we have Higgins 100% healthy and he is explosive. Matio has proven to be a clutch play maker at WR and Kimack at TE is huge issue. O-Line is just GOOD! Across the board without doubt a huge strength on this team.

The Defense is peculiar for me. Lots of athletes, Great D-Line with plenty of depth (especially when you consider UIndy "never" blitzs). That group is anchored my Schmatz, Dallas and Rice, but every person in that rotation is productive. LB's were the concern coming into the year, but Sigmund, Lambright and Bruning have more than answered the bell, very aggressive and athletic group. Running the ball against the Hounds has proven to be very difficult. However, throwing the ball has not been hard to do. Personally, I believe it is more scheme related than personnel issues. The Hounds are very conservative on Defense, bend don't break. As a fan that is the only frustration I have with the team. No blitzing, no press coverage, punting on 4th and short from the oppositions 30 to 35 yard line. That stuff drives me crazy...BUT... I understand there is a method to the madness. Field position, long multiple play drives, they make the other team execute at a high level for the entire game. Any mistake you make, the Hounds will make you pay for. So although I don't agree with their Defensive scheme I do respect it and I respect the coaches commitment to it.

The kicking game is absolute nails! Schnickel at punter and place kicker could be All-American worthy and Lafree on kickoffs is almost a sure touchback.

I don't go on message boards and make brash predictions. Do they beat Harding? We'll see tomorrow, I've seen Harding play and I hate that double wing, triple option BS. The only reason is works is because very few people run it, and it takes time to properly prepare for it. If more teams ran it, more defenses would be prepared for it and you'd see it's success drop off dramatically. Don't get me wrong, Harding and that offense is a "serious" concern, they run it well and run it with ill intention, and they block it in a very non-traditional way. It will be a bar fight up front if the Hounds want to win this game. I expect a high scoring game, I'm hoping weather doesn't play a huge factor.

Finally, when you see people bashing the Hounds I think the easiest response is this. No, they don't have the history of the schools like GV Ferris, and NWMS, and to be honest many others. However, if you look at what this team has done in the recent past it's impressive, even if you take the GLVC into account. One stat jumps out at me when looking at the Hounds. Since 2012, here's a list of the teams UIndy has beaten in their last meeting...

Grandvalley
                Ferris State
                Ashland
                Findlay
                Midwestern St.
                Delta St.
                Wayne St.
                Saginaw Valley
                Hillsdale

That's a pretty solid list. I'm not going to argue that UIndy is a top program, but I think it's pretty cool that they are working hard to become one.
                Last edited by Regit; 11-17-2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

My comments: See 7 former & current GLIACs on that list. Good for U Indy. Most of the GLIAC plays solid ball and have built impressive programs. U Indy has too. Agree about the conservative play. Bart's an oldtimer so all that comes with him. He'd punt the ball with two minutes left down a score. Bart's experience and wisdom is also why so many coaches love him. Think the new OC made a big difference cuz they're not so predictable plus able to run the ball as good as anyone this year.

As far as personnel and the running game, the Louisville big OL transfer is such a nice addition to a very good OL. Thought it would be Kimack that was the go to receiver when they really needed it but agree it turned out to be Willis and they'll miss him. I didn't see any of the 5 injuries I listed in today's Two Deeps. But I'm assuming Harding also with depth concerns being a private like U Indy. If Juice Williams is still out don't think it hurts as much this game. His replacement is a better tackler and they'll need that against the triple option. With that offense (and the rain) a key will be to make every possession count.

Comment

My comments: See 7 former & current GLIACs on that list. Good for U Indy. Most of the GLIAC plays solid ball and have built impressive programs. U Indy has too. Agree about the conservative play. Bart's an oldtimer so all that comes with him. He'd punt the ball with two minutes left down a score. Bart's experience and wisdom is also why so many coaches love him. Think the new OC made a big difference cuz they're not so predictable plus able to run the ball as good as anyone this year.

As far as personnel and the running game, the Louisville big OL transfer is such a nice addition to a very good OL. Thought it would be Kimack that was the go to receiver when they really needed it but agree it turned out to be Willis and they'll miss him. I didn't see any of the 5 injuries I listed in today's Two Deeps. But I'm assuming Harding also with depth concerns being a private like U Indy. If Juice Williams is still out don't think it hurts as much this game. His replacement is a better tackler and they'll need that against the triple option. With that offense (and the rain) a key will be to make every possession count.

100% agree... I love Bart, I love his style, his toughness, how he's able to get the most out of his players, not to mention he is just a good person. Yeah, I'd like to see him mix in something a little different on D from time to time, but I've watched long enough to know that day isn't coming.

I think Willis brought more than just excellent skills to the team, he is a tough, emotional spark-plug. The good thing is I'd expect him to continue having that type of impact on the team. Although Kimack has been used more this year, I would still like to see him more involved and that could happen with Willis being out. He is a load! Big picture, I'd like to see a quick start on Defense, something we haven't been that good at this year. A couple early stops and getting the lead will shift all the pressure to their defense. More specifically, our Defense's play on 1st down will be a huge key in this game! 2nd & 3rd and longs don't play well with Harding's Offense. That's a lot easier said than done. I'm guessing anything under 3rd & 3 is two down territory for Harding. I think this will be a very interesting game to watch.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. D2 football Bob Emblen has them about even with U Indy winning 30-28. Massey Rating even too with a 28-26 Hounds win being at home. Bearcat Media 31-17 Harding wins. MIAA posters here have Harding wins 28-24 and 34-21 knowing first hand what Harding accomplished in their most recent run.

This should be a good one. Considering Harding returning starters that went 3 games deep into the playoffs with a couple big post season wins last year over Sioux Falls and Central Missouri. And Harding with the top rushing offense in the nation this year. U Indy counters with a no gamble defense plus a a fine tuned balanced offense. Win or lose tomorrow U Indy with a great year going 11-0 with big wins over Grand Valley, Wayner, and NDC. Game time 1pm tomorrow. Hope I get the chance to watch it play out!

GLIAC posts on here that made me smile:

GVSU goes on the road and loses a close one to Indy who goes 11-0. If scheduling those types of games means nothing to the committee what's the point of playing them? GLIAC teams can find a patsy GMAC or GLVC team to smack around thus making sure they don't lose a game playing a non conference team. GVSU should be rewarded to playing Indy no penalized.
                      Do you know how many teams won at Indy, Ashland, and Ferris combined this year? None. So, apparently, it's very difficult to beat those teams at their places (let alone anywhere else).
                      While I think GVSU is a better (maybe much better) than Harding. They would still be the 7th seed on the road to Indianapolis. Well, we've already seen that this year and GVSU lost.

Comment

Originally posted by wordman View Post
                        Making excuses already? Harding is the team everybody is trashing for even being in the playoffs. According to those people it should be a walkover for Indy.................word
                        Going anonymous to say in no way does he rep the Upper Iowa Bird family. He holds a beef against St Joseph formerly of GLVC conference and his response was continuous slams on the school and their conference so that's the level of maturity you're dealing with! Most folks around here are sensible, emotionally stable, God fearing, and treat young athletes with respect. .................................Troll.

Comment

Harding will put the ball in the air, just not the way you are used to seeing it!

If your defense plays with discipline, they can stop the option.

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                            Harding will put the ball in the air, just not the way you are used to seeing it!

If your defense plays with discipline, they can stop the option.
                            I'm enjoying the triple option show! Looks so far like it might be enough to get Harding the win. First lightening delay with Harding up 14-10. Their option is like watching Navy and their OL is quick! U Indy QB with two INTs after only throwing two all year? One was fumbled back to U Indy. Example of U Indy being conservative already opting for the FG when 4th and 2. Another 30 min delay tacked on every time lightening flashes. Don't know how long fans will stick with this one.

Comment

harding takes the lead to open the 4th qtr - 21-17 - 14:57 to go in game

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X