Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood at Eastern Washington 9/7/19

About 5 weeks out... why not fire it up!

Obviously LU is up against it for this one. To boot, EWU will already have a game under their belt, albeit against PAC12 Washington. Maybe they'll get beat up in that game to give us a fighting chance?! It could also play into LU's hands because they'll be spending the entire month prepping for EWU, while EWU is focused on upsetting Washington.

Honestly, I'm hoping for no injuries and a great experience in seeing a different level of football for our boys. Compete well, and recognize the details in the small victories!

I will mention, that although EWU made a run to the FCS championship game, they lost a pretty sizable senior class. By no means does this tip the scales, but it's something I'd keep in mind. EWU will have their stud QB Eric Barriere who is on the preseason watch for the Walter Payton award.

More thoughts on this as we get closer.
    Cool Story Bro

Re: Lindenwood at Eastern Washington 9/7/19

Even though Eastern lost some seniors from last years group they have been a program that has been consistently at the top of the Big Sky and has been high at the FCS level for 20 plus years. EWU is committed to their program and it will certainly be a tough go. I am not trying to rain on your parade but they will be really good. CWU opened the season with them last year and we had similar thoughts before the game. While there is no doubt D2 has some talent that can hang with their 1's for a while, the overall depth becomes apparent as the game goes on. All those extra scholarships make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat94 View Post
      Even though Eastern lost some seniors from last years group they have been a program that has been consistently at the top of the Big Sky and has been high at the FCS level for 20 plus years. EWU is committed to their program and it will certainly be a tough go. I am not trying to rain on your parade but they will be really good. CWU opened the season with them last year and we had similar thoughts before the game. While there is no doubt D2 has some talent that can hang with their 1's for a while, the overall depth becomes apparent as the game goes on. All those extra scholarships make a big difference.
      You're not raining on my parade. I'm not having one! :)

I'm fully aware of the reality of this game. However, I am a fan, and I have no intention of simply dwelling on the negative. Hope is what it's all about, right!

Again, just hoping for no injuries, a great experience, and being able to look back at the film and pull out small victories that will build the guys' confidence as they move into conference play!
      Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post

I'm fully aware of the reality of this game. However, I am a fan, and I have no intention of simply dwelling on the negative. Hope is what it's all about, right!

Again, just hoping for no injuries, a great experience, and being able to look back at the film and pull out small victories that will build the guys' confidence as they move into conference play!
        Either way, in the eyes of the selection committee, you're 0-0 after week 1!

Comment

Sounds great! No injuries and a good experience to build on for the season is key. Good luck on your season!

Comment

Eastern Washington 49 L Wood 6

Comment

This is a first for Lindenwood, they've never gone up against a powerhouse NCAA DI FCS opponent like EWU.

Overall, LU is 2-3 all-time against FCS opponents. They are 1-0 against Big Sky teams but that was in 2011 against Northern Colorado who went 0-8 that season. Last game against a ranked FCS team was a 0-30 loss at #21 South Dakota (also in 2011).

Comment

About 5 weeks out... why not fire it up!

Obviously LU is up against it for this one. To boot, EWU will already have a game under their belt, albeit against PAC12 Washington. Maybe they'll get beat up in that game to give us a fighting chance?! It could also play into LU's hands because they'll be spending the entire month prepping for EWU, while EWU is focused on upsetting Washington.

Honestly, I'm hoping for no injuries and a great experience in seeing a different level of football for our boys. Compete well, and recognize the details in the small victories!

I will mention, that although EWU made a run to the FCS championship game, they lost a pretty sizable senior class. By no means does this tip the scales, but it's something I'd keep in mind. EWU will have their stud QB Eric Barriere who is on the preseason watch for the Walter Payton award.

More thoughts on this as we get closer.
                Can remember U Indy playing Western Illinois to open a few years back and U Indy Coach Bart saying he hopes they get through it with no injuries but going into their stadium to bring home a win. U Indy ended up getting beat by about 10 or less and had their chances. Don't remember if there were any injuries but normally depth is an issue come playoff time for U Indy. Also E Illinois put a IU Big Ten emblem on the scoreboard rather than U of Indy.

Comment

The reality of games like this are $$$$$$$. Lindenwood should be getting a decent paycheck for attending this game, similar to what EWU is getting from the game at Washington.

I would guess the pay would be $100,000 - $200,000 plus travel expenses for this game. For a DII athletic department that is nothing to sneeze at.

I recall a couple years ago Concordia (AA)'s basketball team traveled a few miles to Crisler Center to play at Michigan. Concordia is an NAIA school while Michigan is Michigan. The reason for the game was the paycheck for Concordia, who used part of the money to start their football program.

Comment

Originally posted by chapmaja View Post
                    The reality of games like this are $$$$$$$. Lindenwood should be getting a decent paycheck for attending this game, similar to what EWU is getting from the game at Washington.

I would guess the pay would be $100,000 - $200,000 plus travel expenses for this game. For a DII athletic department that is nothing to sneeze at.

I recall a couple years ago Concordia (AA)'s basketball team traveled a few miles to Crisler Center to play at Michigan. Concordia is an NAIA school while Michigan is Michigan. The reason for the game was the paycheck for Concordia, who used part of the money to start their football program.
                    L Wood is probably getting $100,000 plus some expenses. EWU is going to get closer to $500,000 and a bus ride across state. The differences are huge.

CWU plays Montana every few years, and we have played Idaho State, EWU, Portland State, Montana State and a few others. We generally get a guarantee of between $75k and $100K plus some expenses. We had Montana back out of a couple of games to take a payday game. Our since retired AD said that we got paid more to not play Montana than to play them.

When you go and play a Power 5, the payday is HUGE. Montana State got $650k to play Michigan State in 2009. EWU got $450k to go and bear Oregon State a few years ago. Chadron State got $90k to come and beat Montana State in 2006, the week after the Bobcats got $500k to beat CU in Boulder.

The differences in guarantees is tremendous.

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
                      L Wood is probably getting $100,000 plus some expenses. EWU is going to get closer to $500,000 and a bus ride across state. The differences are huge.

CWU plays Montana every few years, and we have played Idaho State, EWU, Portland State, Montana State and a few others. We generally get a guarantee of between $75k and $100K plus some expenses. We had Montana back out of a couple of games to take a payday game. Our since retired AD said that we got paid more to not play Montana than to play them.

When you go and play a Power 5, the payday is HUGE. Montana State got $650k to play Michigan State in 2009. EWU got $450k to go and bear Oregon State a few years ago. Chadron State got $90k to come and beat Montana State in 2006, the week after the Bobcats got $500k to beat CU in Boulder.

The differences in guarantees is tremendous.
                      For small college football program, 100k is huge. That can underwrite a large portion of the operating budget for the year.

The cherry topping would be to pull off the upset and leave Cheney with a W! :)
                      Cool Story Bro

Comment

I hope you didn't get rid of all your couches just because Lindenwood moved to the GLVC. . .
                        Roll Chos!

Comment

Originally posted by RollChos View Post
                          I hope you didn't get rid of all your couches just because Lindenwood moved to the GLVC. . .
                          I've got a few left. My CPY average (couches per year) has dropped significantly over the past couple of years.
                          Cool Story Bro

Comment

For small college football program, 100k is huge. That can underwrite a large portion of the operating budget for the year.

The cherry topping would be to pull off the upset and leave Cheney with a W! :)
                            Basketball program has done the same thing the past few years with games at UAB, Marquette, and Illinois State. A cool experience for the players to play against high quality talent and in top notch facilities while also getting a nice pay check for it. I hope the football program continues with games like these in the future!

Comment

And the possibility of an upset is certainly there! I remember Marquette fans being quite flustered when Lindenwood had a shot at the buzzer to beat them at the Bradley Center in 2017.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X