Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Iowa to the GLVC

The rumor seems to be swirling on here that Upper Iowa may be considering a move from the NSIC to the GLVC. They could be a fair replacement for Lindenwood, but could be another reason for Uindy to bolt. Any thoughts? Do any have other candidates that would be a good fit for GLVC expansion?

My thoughts for future expansion would be Upper Iowa based on the rumor, Kentucky Wesleyan to fill the role USI left vacant, and Missouri Baptist or Saint Ambrose from the NAIA to add an additional football school if Uindy leaves.
    Last edited by Uindy18; 06-27-2022, 07:29 PM.

I can't help but think there's a reason KWC left the GLVC in the first place, and a struggling football program was one of the top reasons.

As for Upper Iowa bolting for the GLVC, I'm not putting too much stock in that rumor. Some of those trips into Bolivar and Metro KC are going to be a beating (UIU's NSIC intra-divisional trips range from about 2 hours to Winona, 3+ hours to Mankato and St Paul, and 5+ hours to Sioux Falls and Marshall (SW Minnesota)). You're looking at about an average of 5-6 hours to get to Kirksville. Quincy or Metro KC, while Rolla is pushing 7 hours.
    Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

i def could see Upper Iowa moving to the GLVC and personally i hope it happens. that league is shifting more west.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
        I can't help but think there's a reason KWC left the GLVC in the first place, and a struggling football program was one of the top reasons.

As for Upper Iowa bolting for the GLVC, I'm not putting too much stock in that rumor. Some of those trips into Bolivar and Metro KC are going to be a beating (UIU's NSIC intra-divisional trips range from about 2 hours to Winona, 3+ hours to Mankato and St Paul, and 5+ hours to Sioux Falls and Marshall (SW Minnesota)). You're looking at about an average of 5-6 hours to get to Kirksville. Quincy or Metro KC, while Rolla is pushing 7 hours.
        Fair point with KWC. I just think as the GMAC becomes more Ohio-centric, the GLVC starts to make more sense for KWC from a pure geography standpoint, especially if Trevecca Nazarene were to ever leave the conference. Additionally, the GLVC will be looking for some schools after losing Lindenwood and USI. Losing Uindy or Lewis could push the GLVC towards reconciliation with KWC.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

What is the current GLVC divisional setup?

I personally like having UIU in the NSIC. Having said that, there's a rumor at the same time of adding Jamestown (ND). That's another 8 hour drive. That's where the NSIC hurts from their perspective. While it's the opposite division for most of these, there's still Minot (11 hours), Bismarck (9.5 hours), potentially Jamestown (8 hours), Crookston (7.75 hours), Aberdeen (7.5 hours), Bemidji (7 hours) and Moorhead (6.75 hours). Those are hauls!

Comment

The GLVC had these alignments in 2021-22.

Baseball Basketball (M)
            Basketball (W)
            Volleyball (W)
            Tennis (M)
            Tennis (W)
            Blue
            Illinois-Springfield
            Indianapolis
            Lewis
            Missouri S&T
            Quincy
            Southern Indiana
            Truman State

Green
            Drury
            Lindenwood
            Maryville
            McKendree
            Missouri-St. Louis
            Rockhurst
            Southwest Baptist
            William Jewell College
            Central
            Lindenwood
            Maryville
            Missouri-St. Louis
            Quincy
            Truman State

East
            Illinois-Springfield
            Indianapolis
            Lewis
            McKendree
            Southern Indiana

West
            Drury
            Missouri S&T
            Rockhurst
            Southwest Baptist
            William Jewell College
            East
            Illinois-Springfield
            Indianapolis
            Lewis
            Lindenwood
            Maryville
            McKendree
            Southern Indiana

West
            Drury
            Missouri-St. Louis
            Quincy
            Rockhurst
            Southwest Baptist
            Truman State
            William Jewell College

Comment

Here is another random thought. At what point does the Great Lakes Valley Conference need a rebrand? There is only one school in the conference that is anywhere near the Great Lakes (Lewis), and the majority of the conference is in Missouri. The name made more sense when you had Wisconsin Parkside, St. Joesph's, IPFW, and Ashland. Now they are mostly southern Illinois and Missouri, maybe a name change should reflect that.

Comment

maybe Mississippi valley intercollegiate conference MVIC

Comment

I have been told that Upper Iowa has formally applied to the GLVC.

Comment

Originally posted by wscsuperfan View Post
                    I have been told that Upper Iowa has formally applied to the GLVC.
                    Which is an 8 hour or so drive from University Heights Indianapolis. U Indy might as well be driving to Michigan to the Yooper stadiums. Better yet join the GMAC. Better yet go D1.

Comment

Anyone else you want? One more gets is to a 12-team football conference which can lead to an old Big 12 set up of nine conference games leaving two non-conference.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                        Anyone else you want? One more gets is to a 12-team football conference which can lead to an old Big 12 set up of nine conference games leaving two non-conference.
                        I think the logical answers are Kentucky Wesleyan making a comeback or Missouri Baptist/Saint Ambrose from NAIA. All add another football program and could bring the gap of the Lindenwood/USI exits (and Uindy's exit seeming imminent).

Comment

Originally posted by Uindy18 View Post

I think the logical answers are Kentucky Wesleyan making a comeback or Missouri Baptist/Saint Ambrose from NAIA. All add another football program and could bring the gap of the Lindenwood/USI exits (and Uindy's exit seeming imminent).
                          I meant from the NSIC, haha. But good info, nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
                            Instead of the North and South Divisions they could have the Northern Sun and the Northern Moon.

Comment

Originally posted by laker View Post

Instead of the North and South Divisions they could have the Northern Sun and the Northern Moon.
                              Hahahaha...you better get that submitted so you can take full responsibility....I mean credit

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X