Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thursday Games?

Re: Thursday Games?

1. It's a 3 day weekend (Labor Day). You need to have the game before the students go home
    2. It's an advantage the next week if your opponent plays a Sat. game as you get more recovery and preparation time
    3. It's a disadvantage if you don't play on Thursday if your next opponent does as they get more prep time and recovery.
    4. You have had plenty of time to prepare for your opponent during fall camp so there's no reason not to play on a Thursday.

Comment

There are a lot of reasons not to play on Thursday.
      People have to work. It requires a day off of work if you travel. Worse tailgating, smaller crowds, worse atmosphere.

If the others in the conference do it, you pretty much have to, though.

I hate Thursday games.

Comment

I'm not sure if Labor Day weekend is always a factor in scheduling the home opener for Thursday night. I always felt like it had more to do with the beginning of school. The school has all these new freshmen on campus and they schedule the first home game for a Thursday night to help get all these new students involved in the whole college scene. The school has a captive student audience on a Thursday night. UCM usually has a street festival that afternoon with lots of fun things for the students to do and then a lot of them naturally go to the game. Other than maybe Family Weekend or Home Coming, it's probably the most attended game by the students. I went to the UCM at Pitt State game in 2016 for the Pitt home opener on a Thursday night and it looked like they had a similar festival type deal going on for the students. Again, I think it has more to do with student involvement than anything else.
        Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 05-14-2018, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Also, keep in mind that all but one game in the first two weeks are Thursday night games this season (the lone exception: Lindenwood at Missouri Southern in Week 2). Could that be a disadvantage for Lindenwood when they host Central Oklahoma or MoSo when they travel to Northwest on Sept. 15 (Week 3)?
          Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I love Thursday games. I wish a meaningful Thursday game was played every week.

The reason they play Thursday night game is that is the earliest day that is allowed. If the NCAA allowed them to play the previous Saturday, I'm sure they'd do that instead and then take a week off at some point.

Comment

Even though Thursday is the earliest day they can play a game, I have to agree with KMA that there may be other reasons for playing the home opener on a Thursday night. As mentioned, the administration has a captive student audience with lots of wide eyed freshmen and the school provides a fun pregame festive atmosphere for the Thursday night home opener. The next time I run into UCM president Chuck Ambrose I'm going to ask him about the reasons for having the home opener on a Thursday night.

Comment

I love Thursday games because I take Thursday off to tailgate, go to the game and still have 3 day weekend.
                Go Hounds!
                B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                Cyclone Power
                ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Don't think anyone has mentioned this, but some of the reasoning may have to do with the heat. Day games can be very hot and the fields really soak up the heat. Just a thought!

Comment

Originally posted by Thepeman View Post
                    Don't think anyone has mentioned this, but some of the reasoning may have to do with the heat. Day games can be very hot and the fields really soak up the heat. Just a thought!
                    Then play the game on Saturday NIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
                      Then play the game on Saturday NIGHT.
                      Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

I am not a fan of Thursday night games...I could live with the opener being on Thursday, wouldn't like it but could live it with. Now, since 2014 each of the 1st two weeks are Thursday nights (at least for NW). My preference would be for the conference to have 1 Thursday night game (rotate it so no one left out) and then the rest of week games could be on Saturday. That way a true fan could catch 4 teams playing that 1st week! It'll never happen but nice to wish/dream!!

Comment

Comment

Thursday nighters hurt the crowds at Pitt.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                              There are a lot of reasons not to play on Thursday.
                              People have to work. It requires a day off of work if you travel. Worse tailgating, smaller crowds, worse atmosphere.

If the others in the conference do it, you pretty much have to, though.

I hate Thursday games.
                              Idk about the rest of the MIAA, but NW averaged 7,884 fans in home games last year. The opening night game against Emporia State drew 8,055 fans.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X