Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Returning QB's

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Poor Central seems to have started with tough games the last 10 years straight or so. No MSSU or NSU in sight for you guys.

It seems like you had the top 3 teams the first 3 games most of those years.
    Originally posted by Wallst View Post
    what's wrong with that? It generally means Juiced and before that Bill were gone by Oct 1 :)

Bill has retired from all this nonsense and Juiced Mule can speak for himself. The rest of the UCM posters will be around for the entire season.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 08-12-2018, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by libertybearcat View Post
      I don't disagree with you Joe, that being said, he has a # and we were told essentially his FB IQ is really high, dad played College at Minnesota, NFL with the Bears and has been a HC in the Original Arena league...the vibe I got was he has a chance to contribute.
      That would be awesome if he did. I would just be surprised. If he can contribute, you throw him out there for sure. He looks very, very good on film.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
        Bill has retired from all this nonsense and Juiced Mule can speak for himself. The rest of the UCM posters will be around for the entire season.
        What is this nonsense you speak of?!

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
              I think there are too many variables in your comparisons but I also understand why you feel the way you do. But I'll disagree with it anyway. ;)

I think the non-conference games are what allowed Garin to build the program and have led to your current success. Momentum is a big thing. Was it last year that Central had that improbable win against ESU? I believe you talked about how things could have been different if ESU had won that game instead of losing it the way they did. That's possible, but if we give credence to the fact that there is momentum within a season, we have to accept that there can be momentum from season to season.

In the three seasons before Garin arrived, the high mark for wins was five. There was a lot of work to do. In his first five seasons, the high mark for wins was still five. But I want to look at the record each year and who the wins were against.

2007: 3-8 (Wins against Western State and Southwest Baptist)
              2008: 4-7 (Wins against Western State and Truman State)
              2009: 2-9 (Wins against Southwestern Oklahoma and Truman State)
              2010: 5-6 (Wins against Southwestern Oklahoma and Missouri S&T)
              2011: 5-6 (Wins against Langston and Lincoln and Truman State and Southwest Baptist)

But what would have happened if you took away some of those easy non-conference wins?

2007: 2-8
              2008: 3-8
              2009: 1-10
              2010: 3-6
              2011: 4-6

I took away only the non-conference wins. Would Garin have survived those records? Since this is all theoretical, we'll never know. It's theoretically possible that he could have been fired and ESU's next coach got them to the championship and they won it the last three years. But looking at it realistically, those non-conference wins, along with the patience of the ESU administration, were very important to ESU's recent success.

I post all of that just to illustrate that the lack of winnable, non-conference opponents could have doomed ESU to remain at the bottom half of league forever. He improved the program while playing non-conference games that he could win. But Rob Robinson or Denver Johnson don't have the luxury of scheduling Langston or playing SBU and Lincoln.

You can't compare 1998 to 2018. First of all, don't lose to Truman State. ;) But second of all, if we were playing by today's rules, ESU would have made the playoffs, easily. They would likely have been the #5 seed and played at Nebraska-Omaha in the first round.

Your fans were right not to get too excited about wins over Southwestern Oklahoma. But without those, the wins over Pitt State, Western, and Central might never have happened.

I also don't think scheduling decisions should be made to accommodate the 100 people that decide a trip from Emporia to St. Joe is close enough but Emporia to Chadron is too far. Accommodating the 100 over the MILLIONS that would prefer some non-conference games is not wise.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X