Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESU @ NSU

Game Notes: https://esuhornets.com/news/2018/8/2...ern-state.aspx

Any NSU fans care to chime in with some thoughts? Interested to hear what people think about the roster turnover and how that might impact the team. ESU should come out with purpose this game and hopefully take control early. I find it hard to imagine NSU winning this against a team like ESU whose players have mostly all been in the same system for years. I think the chemistry and leadership for the Hornets will prove to be the biggest separator in the game.

Marstall and Co. will probably have quite the showing this game as well. Felt like the offense took a step back last year and defense was nowhere to be found. I really hope the defense made some major strides and comes out ready to compete against some very high level athletes.

Re: ESU @ NSU

Not a NSU fan anymore, but I would be surprised if the game is competitive. Wasn't it 44-7 last year? The "nowhere to be found" defense held NSU to 8 first downs (2 for 17 on third down). NSU's defense should be weaker this year, but their offense should improve. We'll see, but I'd be surprised if the game is closer than 20 in the second half.

Comment

ESU is kind of flying under the radar so far this year. They return almost all of their skill position people on offense along with both starting tackles. Defensively things had to change. The major change is that the d-line has gotten another year older and should be a bit bigger. They need to get more production out of someone other than Trevaun Ammons along the front.
      All that being said the Hornets were probably two plays and one bad bowl decision away from winning eight or maybe nine games last year.
      I've gotta think this is a big year for Robinson at NSU. He is 6-38 in his first four years. I'm not saying things can't change - Higgins was 14-30 headed into his fifth year at ESU but I don't remember him blowing up the roster. It will be interesting to see what kind of athletes the RiverHawks put on the field and how they react if things go south.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
        I've gotta think this is a big year for Robinson at NSU. He is 6-38 in his first four years. I'm not saying things can't change - Higgins was 14-30 headed into his fifth year at ESU but I don't remember him blowing up the roster. It will be interesting to see what kind of athletes the RiverHawks put on the field and how they react if things go south.
        It probably should be his last year at NSU. Remember that 3 of those wins were in year two... I don't know of ANY coach that has had this kind of turnover in a single year, especially with a roster full of "their" guys. I am actually expecting bookend 0-11 years for Robinson, but things can change...

Comment

Originally posted by Bytor View Post
          Not a NSU fan anymore, but I would be surprised if the game is competitive. Wasn't it 44-7 last year? The "nowhere to be found" defense held NSU to 8 first downs (2 for 17 on third down). NSU's defense should be weaker this year, but their offense should improve. We'll see, but I'd be surprised if the game is closer than 20 in the second half.
          Must be nice to get a bye in week 1. Hope ESU makes the most of it!
          Roll Chos!

Comment

Comment

I expect ESU to have a great group of receivers this year if they can stay healthy. Lots of guys need to step up and make big plays this year, something that was lacking from last year. Defense is definitely a concern, but it sounds like they are putting the best 11 guys out there, despite lack of experience for many of the new faces. Special teams will probably give me anxiety all year. The last 4 years we were blessed with an amazing group of guys, never had to worry about a bad snap, now every time we punt I'll be holding my breath until the ball is kicked lol.

The Hornets should take the field ready to take care of business. This staff respects the entirety of the MIAA because they all know what it was like to be in the position of a team like NSU. Should be a decent showing for ESU considering the amount of players from Oklahoma on the roster.

Comment

The biggest drop off at WR last year was Mo Williams getting hurt near the end of training camp. He was a guy that went for almost 200 yards against NWMSU in the playoffs and 160 against Minnesota State as a sophomore in 2015 and then had 134 against UMD in the 2016 playoffs. He missed the first three games of last year with the shoulder injury and was never really the same catching the football.

I think Jordan Reed and Tyler Harris will step up this year and a new name to look for at WR is Kyle Harrison. He's a transfer from Ft. Scott CC and has some size like Ray Ray Davis did.

Defense is young but pretty talented. The true freshman at CB is Jaedon Pool out of Carl Albert HS in Midwest City, Okla. He's got the size and speed to be something really special. Jayce McDown is the RS-Soph at the Mike and he was the MVP of the Kansas Shrine Bowl in 2016. And Trevaun Ammons might be the best defensive player in the league this year. He's playing more of standup end/OLB this year and could have a monster season.

As for our best player being a punter last year - Marcha may have been the best punter in the nation last year but that doesn't necessarily mean he was the best football player on the team. That being said special teams will be a bit of a worry. When was the last time a team had an All-American kicker and All-American punter on the same team? Not to mention a long snapper that didn't miss on any snap while starting 49 games? Those three guys took a lot of pressure off the offense and defense for the last four years.

I am so ready for it to be game time.

Comment

Apparently game has been delayed until 7:30

Comment

Esu by 50

Comment

Esu goes for it on 4th and one
                      Scores but gets the field goal blocked

13-0 ESU
                      1:18 Left in the 1st qtr

Comment

Nice little pass by nsu
                        13-7
                        3:16 left in the half

Comment

27-7
                          6:13 left in the third

Comment

That was easy 34-7
                            6:00 left in third

I might Get my ESU by 50 after all

Comment

Thoughts on the game:
                              The best thing I took away from this game is how far the program has come in the last six years. The Hornets went on the road in the MIAA and came away with a 34-7 win, gave up the fewest yards in the league, scored the second most points and feel like they left a lot on the table. There was a time when getting any kind of win on the road in the MIAA was hard for ESU.

The most amazing thing I took away is how there was basically an inland hurricane at 5 pm and by kick-off at 7:30 it was a gorgeous night for football. Weather is weird sometimes.

Parker Bass was a machine on defense last night. He was credited with five tackles and all five of them were behind the line of scrimmage. He was half a sack away from tying the ESU single game record with 3.5 sacks. He also had a forced fumble and a fumble recovery.

Landon Nault is becoming a really good back in this league. He ended up with 19 carries for 88 yards and two touchdowns. He had three carries on third or fourth down and got a first down on each of them.

My Kyle Harrison prediction was terrible. Part of that was that the passing game in general was pretty bad last night (at least by ESU standards). But it looks like passing was way down across the league. When was the last time no MIAA QB threw for at least 250 yards during a day of regular season action?

My Trevaun Ammons prediction was terrible. He really didn't stand out at all.

I know someone said that relying on turnovers is basically relying on luck but three of the four fumbles that ESU recovered came after big time hits and strips of the football. Granted part of that is just bad offense but part of that is emphasis on delivering a hit and playing through the whistle in my mind.

Special teams were probably a mixed bag. Tyler Harris was servicable replacing All-American Justin Marcha, I don't remember a problem with the long snaps for ESU, kick coverage seemed pretty good, and the return game was solid. Bad thing was missing two field goals and getting an extra point blocked.

Overall I'm not that surprised by the outcome. There was a part of me that thought ESU might come in an drop 60 on NSU but when you watch how they played offensively they were pretty vanilla. Except for the one flea flicker they ran in the third quarter.

I am excited for next Thursday. I hope there is a huge crowd and the Hornets can get their third win in the last four games against the Gorillas.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X