Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MSSU's Denver Johnson steps down

Originally posted by JurisBearcat View Post
    But he would be bringing a knife to a tank battle. MOSO is a program that seems lost. I dont know if anyone can succeed there.
    People probably said that about NW at one time. Southern may be worse off, though? Idk?

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
      People probably said that about NW at one time. Southern may be worse off, though? Idk?
      Not sure that Southern is worse off, but it's a tougher road towards improvement now than it was in 1994. The conference is tougher today (it was Pitt State and a bunch of hopefuls back then), more teams both in the conference and in the region (at D2 and other levels) are doing smart things--the type of things that would've lessened the edge MT built at NW, there's more competition for the HS kids and a strong case could be made that the HS level talent pool is drying up, or at least will be prospectively.

Comment

Outside of Cornelson......

I think it's a mistake to hire someone with Southern ties.

I think Partridge is the best choice by far because he is someone that most likely understands that difficulties at Southern but he hasn't been influenced in any way by how they have done things in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I think Partridge is the best choice by far because he is someone that most likely understands that difficulties at Southern but he hasn't been influenced in any way by how they have done things in the past.
          Cornelson will probably get a shot at D1 if he and Fuente keep doing what they've been doing. Ironically enough, Fuente played at Murray State for a Head Coach named: Denver Johnson.
          I like turtles.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
            Not sure that Southern is worse off, but it's a tougher road towards improvement now than it was in 1994. The conference is tougher today (it was Pitt State and a bunch of hopefuls back then), more teams both in the conference and in the region (at D2 and other levels) are doing smart things--the type of things that would've lessened the edge MT built at NW, there's more competition for the HS kids and a strong case could be made that the HS level talent pool is drying up, or at least will be prospectively.
            Southern is actually worse off I think...

10 Years Before Tjeerdsma:

1993: 3-8
            1992: 6-5
            1991: 5-6
            1990: 2-8-1
            1989: 9-3 (Playoffs)
            1988: 2-9
            1987: 4-7
            1986: 2-9
            1985: 4-6-1
            1984: 10-2 (Playoffs)

10 Years Before Today

2017: 0-11
            2016: 2-9
            2015: 1-10
            2014: 4-7
            2013: 7-3
            2012: 6-5
            2011: 3-7
            2010: 4-7
            2009: 3-7
            2008: 4-7

As you mentioned, Pitt State was the only team that was competing at a national level or really putting the effort and resources into trying to do so. Now, that's over 1/2 the conference.

Comment

The more I think about this....the more I agree with you.

I think that getting someone with really MSSU ties, allows MSSU to keep operating as it has for a long time. I think its been said on this board before that there needs to be a significant culture shift at MSSU. A lot of things still being done now, as they have been for the last 25 years. They are in need of a major change.

Comment

Originally posted by MSSU LIONS View Post
                The more I think about this....the more I agree with you.

I think that getting someone with really MSSU ties, allows MSSU to keep operating as it has for a long time. I think its been said on this board before that there needs to be a significant culture shift at MSSU. A lot of things still being done now, as they have been for the last 25 years. They are in need of a major change.
                Staff inbreeding is a danger in every business.

Comment

10 Years Before Today

As you mentioned, Pitt State was the only team that was competing at a national level or really putting the effort and resources into trying to do so. Now, that's over 1/2 the conference.
                  Yeah, that's why I kind of think they are in a comparable spot. Those 6 and 7 win teams at Southern would have trounced the horrible pre mel PO teams NW had.

Comment

10 Years Before Today

I could be convinced of either being the case. Seeing how I wasn't even alive for 2+ of the years in the 10 years before MT and with Pitt State not being in the conference for the first half of those years, I really can't speak to it that much. The main comparison I'd make is that--based on the comments of various NW posters--the surrounding community being so down on the program was very similar. To me, the best indicia of the state of MoSo football is to read the Joplin Globe, where Pitt State football gets much more coverage.

The difference in records can probably be explained by the relative strength of schedule, at least until the past couple of years. Maybe the state of NW football pre-Mel was actually a lot more similar to the state of MoSo football pre-DJ.

Comment

Interesting that today's Joplin Globe sports front page headlines had a bigger font for the Webb City-Joplin volleyball match than Denver's resignation.

Comment

You're not accounting for the terrible SBU and Lincoln teams Southern doesn't get to play anymore that Mell did ...

10 Years Before Today

Comment

Watched the press conference today with the Interim HC.....uhhhhhh wow Joe needs to work on his public speaking a little.

Comment

Originally posted by MSSU LIONS View Post
                            Watched the press conference today with the Interim HC.....uhhhhhh wow Joe needs to work on his public speaking a little.
                            Guy had to be nervous. Like he said, "This is home, I love this place so yeah, it's an 8-week interview".

I LOVED his first answer. He talked about the team not reacting well to things happening suddenly (frankly, he was referring to the 3rd quarter vs Lindenwood IMO) and so at practice, the coaches will randomly blow a whistle put down a ball somewhere on the field and say, "There was a turnover, now you're on the field. We're going 100% here. Go." to try and get them trained to be better after sudden change.

Comment

Originally posted by NewmanAndDuquesne View Post
                              Guy had to be nervous. Like he said, "This is home, I love this place so yeah, it's an 8-week interview".

I LOVED his first answer. He talked about the team not reacting well to things happening suddenly (frankly, he was referring to the 3rd quarter vs Lindenwood IMO) and so at practice, the coaches will randomly blow a whistle put down a ball somewhere on the field and say, "There was a turnover, now you're on the field. We're going 100% here. Go." to try and get them trained to be better after sudden change.
                              Anyone that thinks he should be the guy is out of their mind. They might not give up less than 40 points the rest of the year. He's done zero to get an MIAA HC job.
                              They should aim high, in my opinion. Partridge would be a great get.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
                                You're not accounting for the terrible SBU and Lincoln teams Southern doesn't get to play anymore that Mell did ...
                                Lincoln dropped football after the 1989 season and didn't rejoin the MIAA until 2011. A Mel coached Northwest team never played Lincoln.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X