Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who 'turns the corner' first

Originally posted by Bigbadbod View Post
    Ft. Hays--------------------------University of Western Kansas (WKU) No one beyond Kansas knows where Ft. Hays is at but even a child can point to a map and find Western Kansas.

Colorado State University at Pueblo-------------University of Southern Colorado (USC) Very few beyond Colorado can find Pueblo on a map but all can find Southern Colorado (BTW--As the MIAA continues to move west Southern Colorado University is destined to join us, and sooner than you think)

Lincoln University---------------Jefferson City Industrial Park (JCIP) Drop the name, close the school and do us all a favor and get rid of the ridiculous football "program."
    Let's keep the LU track though, and move the MSHSAA State Track Championships back there... I liked having it there so much more than the JC high school.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
      and they'd be pointing in the wrong area; Hays is not in western kansas
      Yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
        Yes it is.
        no it's not

between hwy 81/I-135 and US 283 is central, ks - got to get past Walkin' Weenie and 283 to be in western ks and Hays is a good 30 miles east of there

Comment

no it's not

between hwy 81/I-135 and US 283 is central, ks - got to get past Walkin' Weenie and 283 to be in western ks and Hays is a good 30 miles east of there
          As a Greensburg native, I assure you that hays is in western ks. To everyone but you.

Comment

no it's not

I'd say anything west of Wichita or Salina is in essence, Western Kansas.

Comment

You can always tell the Western KS natives who never moved east of Manhattan because they insist that the state ought to be divided into equal thirds when assigning labels like Eastern, Central and Western Kansas.

The best way to divide KS east-west is into 4 regions: 1) Eastern Kansas - this ends at US-75, 2) Flint Hills - mostly self descriptive, but if you have a credible argument that you're in the Flint Hills, you get to claim it, 3) Central Kansas - west of the Flint Hills to a kind of nebulous ending point that can arguably be as far west as Great Bend, but is probably more aptly Hutch, 4) Western Kansas - everything west of the aforementioned nebulous boundary.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
                You can always tell the Western KS natives who never moved east of Manhattan because they insist that the state ought to be divided into equal thirds when assigning labels like Eastern, Central and Western Kansas.

The best way to divide KS east-west is into 4 regions: 1) Eastern Kansas - this ends at US-75, 2) Flint Hills - mostly self descriptive, but if you have a credible argument that you're in the Flint Hills, you get to claim it, 3) Central Kansas - west of the Flint Hills to a kind of nebulous ending point that can arguably be as far west as Great Bend, but is probably more aptly Hutch, 4) Western Kansas - everything west of the aforementioned nebulous boundary.
                I'm not a western ks native, transplant; 2/3 of my life or more manhattan and east and some in Missouri

and yes, i'm playing around, I know what everybody considers western ks. the dividing line (IMO) is the ellsworth exit on I-70, that's where the geological formation changes from the flint/rolling hills into the Kansas plains/platte; which kind of angles down as you said to Great Bend and back over towards Hutch. I just think it's funny because you look on a map and there is a LOT of Kansas left west of Hays. As the original poster said a kid could point to western Kansas and find Hays, and I'd argue, no they couldn't they really wouldn't be that close. You talk to anybody unfamiliar driving across Kansas and they think getting to Hays is some sort of accomplishment and next stop must be Colorado, and nope, you got another 2 1/2 hours yet to go.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

Topographically, Western KS begins about 50 miles west of Wichita. Flat, few trees, tumbleweeds, etc... Hays is in the high plains, so they have some rolling hills, but not enough to separate.

If you walk across a pasture and see devil's claws, tumbleweeds, and Horny toads right before kicking up a pheasant. You are in Western KS.

Comment

P.S. I loved Western KS. No allergies. No leaf mold. Fewer poisonous snakes. It does suck to play golf or row a boat out there, though.

My favorite region is the flint hills, especially East of El Dorado where you have huge stretches of beautiful scenery..

Comment

When we moved to Pittsburg, it was a pretty claustrophobic feeling with all the trees and only being able to see the sky if you craned your neck and looked up.

Comment

If you consider painted milkweed or a pheasant feather wall hanging to be fine art, you might be from Western KS.

Comment

Fewer poisonous snakes...
                          but a lot more scorpions

Comment

but a lot more scorpions
                            True

Comment

I'm not a western ks native, transplant; 2/3 of my life or more manhattan and east and some in Missouri

and yes, i'm playing around, I know what everybody considers western ks. the dividing line (IMO) is the ellsworth exit on I-70, that's where the geological formation changes from the flint/rolling hills into the Kansas plains/platte; which kind of angles down as you said to Great Bend and back over towards Hutch. I just think it's funny because you look on a map and there is a LOT of Kansas left west of Hays. As the original poster said a kid could point to western Kansas and find Hays, and I'd argue, no they couldn't they really wouldn't be that close. You talk to anybody unfamiliar driving across Kansas and they think getting to Hays is some sort of accomplishment and next stop must be Colorado, and nope, you got another 2 1/2 hours yet to go.
                              Once you get to Hays, the next stop is Goodland, because CO gas prices are absurd.

Comment

Topographically, Western KS begins about 50 miles west of Wichita. Flat, few trees, tumbleweeds, etc... Hays is in the high plains, so they have some rolling hills, but not enough to separate.

If you walk across a pasture and see devil's claws, tumbleweeds, and Horny toads right before kicking up a pheasant. You are in Western KS.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X