Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Welcome, Rogers State University

If we treat it like a presidential election and only offer 2 terrible choices, I would pick the divisions, but have them shuffled via some metric each year.
    Last edited by Predatory Primates; 10-26-2018, 02:40 PM.

Comment

The lsc unequity is a scary model. And I can understand that great but that was fueled by the distance and uneven number of crossover games
      The north played at least two long trips a year for it's four crossover games
      South only had three crossover games and that just killed the momentum they entered league with. Orginally the divisions would have been the 4ok schools and two from ark. But then Harding and obu got in gsc. And so it was 5to 7 .

Split it east west with on rival and three crossover on 4year rotation (you play group one then two then one then two). So u play every school twice every other year and home once every 4 years.

Nw central mo west Lincoln moso nsu

Hayes unk uco Washburn emporia Pitt

Not as attractive as north south split but will keep balance and divisions fair.

Could switch a few of pairs up like (unk uco and nsu or moso ) on edges but core of 4kansas and 4missouri s hools is cornerstone

Travel is cut and balance is preserved and we can get Take advantage of sos for our one and two loss teams when compared to gac.

The games are there. The glvc has 4 non Conf and lsc has 3 and rmac had 1. Miss would need to find 24 non conference games.
      Last edited by the Northeasterner; 10-26-2018, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
        Guys I don't have the time, but I am really interested to see what could happen if you guys divided up the conference and then created a schedule with 2 non-cons, 4-cross division, and 5 in-division games and speculate on the results.
        Because the conference does have a few rivalries (one really big one) that don't have strong geographical ties, the way to do this is the same way the SEC does their cross-division scheduling: for one cross-division "rival", you play them every year. Florida is in the SEC East and LSU in the SEC West, but they play every year. Same is true for Tennessee and Alabama.

For the MIAA, the obvious geographic division would be north-south. North: NW, UNK, FHSU, MW, WU and UCM. South: PSU, MoSo, UCO, NSU, ESU, LU. Key "cross-division rivals", IMO: Pitt-NW and ESU-WU. I actually think MoSo and MW ought to be, but I'm not passionate about it. UCM and UCO could annually play each other in a battle of the sleeping giants. That would mean that the other 5 "North" teams would each play Pitt State 6 times every ten years--and that's kind of the upside and downside to this sort of approach, it involves long term planning and the conference is in the habit of planning for two year cycles. I wouldn't lose any sleep over Pitt State only playing FH, WU, UNK, MW and either UCM or ESU 3 out of 5 years.

If someone wanted to switch UCM into the South and ESU into the North, I'd be fine with that.

The obvious big risk of doing that is that, inevitably, one division will be stronger than the other. Most of us longer-term MIAA fans would probably think the North would usually be stronger. In the present climate, the three doormats of the conference are all in the South, so it would be a pretty big contrast in SOS and opponents' SOS from team to team. If Pitt, UCO and ESU all have a down year at the same time, it's not hard to imagine a situation where the North blanks the South.

The main beneficiaries of an approach like this are always going to be the third-fifth best teams in the conference who can avoid an in-conference loss or two by getting an easy conference draw and the 10th-12th best teams in the conference who can avoid going winless.

Obviously, I think encouraging NSU to find another home for football (and then letting Lincoln do whatever they want to do outside of the conference) is a better solution, but I understand lots of people don't think that's an option.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
          The lsc unequity is a scary model. And I can understand that great but that was fueled by the distance and uneven number of crossover games
          The north played at least two long trips a year for it's four crossover games
          South only had three crossover games and that just killed the momentum they entered league with. Orginally the divisions would have been the 4ok schools and two from ark. But then Harding and obu got in gsc. And so it was 5to 7 .

Split it east west with on rival and three crossover on 4year rotation (you play group one then two then one then two). So u play every school twice every other year and home once every 4 years.

Nw central mo west Lincoln moso nsu

Hayes unk uco Washburn emporia Pitt

Not as attractive as north south split but will keep balance and divisions fair.

Could switch a few of pairs up like (unk uco and nsu or moso ) on edges but core of 4kansas and 4missouri s hools is cornerstone

Travel is cut and balance is preserved and we can get Take advantage of sos for our one and two loss teams when compared to gac
          If you put NSU in the West and Pitt State in the East, this could work. No one cares about all 4 KS schools playing each other, but if you told Pitt State that either NW, MoSo or both are no longer going to be an annual game, it won't go over well in Pittsburg. Also, that switch avoids three doormats all in the East.

Comment

Yes I see that but trying to keep balance I would rather make moso the rival.

I know that upsets the nw Pitt thing. But Itsbetter for goal of getting teams in po

Comment

I don't think there is a need to go with a split based on geography. Travel cost in the MIAA is peanuts compared to almost everywhere else.

I would like to see the splits based on a metric involving records the previous year and returning players on each side of the ball.

Whip one out, math nerds.

Comment

Pretending we have our metric, I would rank and do this.
                1a
                2b
                3a
                4b
                5a
                6b
                7a
                8b
                9a
                10b
                11a
                12b

That gives you 6 games, leaving 3 cross division games. I'll have to think on what to do with them for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                  Pretending we have our metric, I would rank and do this.
                  1a
                  2b
                  3a
                  4b
                  5a
                  6b
                  7a
                  8b
                  9a
                  10b
                  11a
                  12b

That gives you 6 games, leaving 3 cross division games. I'll have to think on what to do with them for a while.
                  Wouldn't that only get u 8 games. Leaving 3 non conf to fill.

Comment

I understand the two-division model. If I recall correctly, this is how the SIAC is set up. Not a great conference to compare to, but hear me out. I remember there being some controversy in the past. I am not sure which teams were involved, but fairly recently, a team lost 3 or 4 games, but all were either OOC or against teams from the other division. They beat a team with only 1 loss, winning the division, then got boat raced in the conference championship game. Would it be better to go with the best in-division record as mentioned above, or overall conference record, similar to the Big 10?

Comment

For the 3 cross division games, I would:
                      -Match up 1-6 in A vs 1-6 in B
                      -Match UP 1 VS 6 in A VS 6-1 in B
                      -Do an every other deal...
                      --A/B=1/2, 3/4, 5/6 and B/A=1/2, 3/4, 5/6

Not sure if this would make it too tough or not?

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                        Wouldn't that only get u 8 games. Leaving 3 non conf to fill.
                        6 and 3 is 9. I wrote that in the post you quoted. That leaves 2 non cons.

I did it as if we had a 12th team in the conference instead of dropping one like Brandon mentioned.

Comment

Sounds fine by me. Any way we go because it's got to be better so all can benefit and thrive at our own level and still be best conf there is.

Anyways I think i worked myself into an unworkable plan earlier any way. So PP if you got a plan let's run with it. But 5 games what you get out if 6team division. i was thinking of adding one fixed rival but that would throw whole thing off on 4year schedule.

Could you combine plans. With 5 set games and mix up cross over games with a variation of your plan? people like knowing some teams they play every year.

Comment

The ranking system would cause problems if you tried to maintain the rivalry games.

I would add something like
                            A/B=1/5, 2/6, 3/4, 4/3, 5/1,6/2

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                              Bacone dropped football.
                              Wouldn't they have to play football in order to drop it?
                              "Wherever there's Freedom in the world, you can bet there's the footprint of an American Soldier nearby"

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X