Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Welcome, Rogers State University

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
    Wayne St. (NE) is some distance but it's not horrible in ease of travel for most teams in the MIAA - just get on I-49/29 for most teams in the MIAA footprint.
    Bring them in and we have all eight members of the CSIC. And it will only take 29 years to do what should have been done back in 1989.

Comment

i stand corrected. I would rather see central become a dominant d2 school...it will NEVER get the fan support OU, LosuR or texASS so I don't think D1 would look good on us. becoming a dominant D2 school in this area would allow us to be a destination for players that realize they aren't cut out for the bigger schools. similar to moe dampeer. he was a fantastic player at OU BUT was a fat, lazy bastard and ended up at NW. I remember the message boards talking about him wanting to go to the best d2 school he could find.

if they are going to someone other than richeson to step up and donate.....the people in charge (from the athletic department straight to the presidency) are going to have to start viewing people differently.

I had about 3 more paragraphs for this post but not going to get into airing dirty laundry in public

Comment

Originally posted by BartonTiger View Post
        We just have to face the reality that we will be a 10 team conference in football and have the luxury of having one non-conference game now. Sure MoSouth and Northeastern could bail for "easier" waters but still think it would be bad on their end to do so. Just get better in football with good coaching hires!
        How do you get 10 teams. I count 12 unless someone else leaves. I know Lincoln wants non-con games my guess is they would rather lose the money games than have to schedule as an independent.

Comment

The number of conversations going on in this thread where one side doesn't really know what the other side is saying is astounding.

I'll try to distill most or all of them into one sentence each.

The biggest reason--bigger than the amount of desire, the budget, the NCAA or anything else--that UCO isn't close to going D1 is that the governing board of higher ed in Oklahoma is dominated by boosters of OU and OSU who would prefer the state continue to only have two public D1 schools.

Claremore is a long ways from the longtime geographic center of the MIAA, which is basically KC, and thereby expands the conference footprint because it expands total travel for teams and fans, even if it isn't technically outside of the bounds that exist of the current farthest reaching members.

Eleven football teams would be a nightmare, twelve is pretty bad, ten would be ideal; multiple teams would need to leave to get to ten, but we already know Lincoln would be happy to leave, perhaps RSU will ultimately be a non-football replacement for NSU, which would bring us back to 10; however, NSU doesn't seem to have a viable landing place (unless returning to NAIA is an option--this parenthetical is my editorializing, I don't remember anyone else mentioning it.)

Comment

Naia option is not happening lol

Good summary

Comment

Here's what I see happening....

MOSO, NSU and UCO eventually leave, Jewell and Rockhurst come in. Rogers decides not to say now that Oklahoma schools have moved on.

Those moves force UNK out due to travel.

Footprint returns to Missouri and Kansas.

Leaving
              ESU, FHSU, WU, PSU, NWMSU, UCM, MWSU and WJC as 8 team football conference

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
                The number of conversations going on in this thread where one side doesn't really know what the other side is saying is astounding.

I'll try to distill most or all of them into one sentence each.

The biggest reason--bigger than the amount of desire, the budget, the NCAA or anything else--that UCO isn't close to going D1 is that the governing board of higher ed in Oklahoma is dominated by boosters of OU and OSU who would prefer the state continue to only have two public D1 schools.

Claremore is a long ways from the longtime geographic center of the MIAA, which is basically KC, and thereby expands the conference footprint because it expands total travel for teams and fans, even if it isn't technically outside of the bounds that exist of the current farthest reaching members.

Eleven football teams would be a nightmare, twelve is pretty bad, ten would be ideal; multiple teams would need to leave to get to ten, but we already know Lincoln would be happy to leave, perhaps RSU will ultimately be a non-football replacement for NSU, which would bring us back to 10; however, NSU doesn't seem to have a viable landing place (unless returning to NAIA is an option--this parenthetical is my editorializing, I don't remember anyone else mentioning it.)
                and it takes a big chicken to weigh a ton

Comment

Originally posted by KevintheIntern View Post

MOSO, NSU and UCO eventually leave, Jewell and Rockhurst come in. Rogers decides not to say now that Oklahoma schools have moved on.

Leaving
                  Setting aside the whole host of reasons that the first set of things you describe will not happen, even if they did happen, that would substantially lessen UNK's travel load.

Comment

Leaving
                    Wait, the three schools furthest away from UNK leave, two more Kansas City schools get added, and that would make UNK choose to leave due to travel getting harder?

Comment

Leaving
                      UNK has nowhere else to go ... most Northern Sun schools are too far away, there's the awful winter travel and UNK really has never played the schools so there's no rivalries. The RMAC has gone way, way West. Sorry, stuck with the Lopers until you kick 'em out.

Comment

I was going to say, the only place for UNK to go is back to the RMAC but that doesn't make any sense anymore for them. The MIAA is by far their best situation and I see no reason to believe they would ever leave in the current make-up of the conference. People talk about the distance for UNK or FHSU but to them that is normal life... you have to travel to get to stuff. That may be tough for those further East to swallow but some people that is just life.

Comment

Originally posted by BartonTiger View Post
                          I was going to say, the only place for UNK to go is back to the RMAC but that doesn't make any sense anymore for them. The MIAA is by far their best situation and I see no reason to believe they would ever leave in the current make-up of the conference. People talk about the distance for UNK or FHSU but to them that is normal life... you have to travel to get to stuff. That may be tough for those further East to swallow but some people that is just life.
                          Travel distance is yet another thing the MIAA is spoiled on. The LSC, GNAC, GSC would love our travel distances. Might be the least amount in all of D2, but maybe the NE10 or PSAC is shorter.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                            Naia option is not happening lol

Good summary
                            Heck you should've been here last year when a Panhandle guy was touting the NAIA, and really getting on the other Okie schools fans to think that their schools should join them. Of course nobody took the bait. Besides Panhandle has much less enrollment than any of the public GAC schools by a decent margin.
                            Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
                              i stand corrected. I would rather see central become a dominant d2 school...it will NEVER get the fan support OU, LosuR or texASS so I don't think D1 would look good on us. becoming a dominant D2 school in this area would allow us to be a destination for players that realize they aren't cut out for the bigger schools. similar to moe dampeer. he was a fantastic player at OU BUT was a fat, lazy bastard and ended up at NW. I remember the message boards talking about him wanting to go to the best d2 school he could find.
                              I agree with the first paragraph of Jimbo's post completely. I don't know anything about the rest (which I omitted) other than yes Richison can't do it alone. Some MIAA posters wonder why UCO doesn't clean up in Okla recruiting and that is because there are 8 D-II and 2 NAIA programs in the state.
                              Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
                                I agree with the first paragraph of Jimbo's post completely. I don't know anything about the rest (which I omitted) other than yes Richison can't do it alone. Some MIAA posters wonder why UCO doesn't clean up in Okla recruiting and that is because there are 8 D-II and 2 NAIA programs in the state.
                                Tulsa has been MIAA territory for decades, too.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X