• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SR3 Regional Rankings Week 9

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
    They absolutely look at names.
    Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    If the committee got together and gave 2 PO Spots to the GLVC, 3 to the GLIAC, and 1 each to the GAC and MIAA and told them that is how it was going to be until they stopped the insular scheduling, I would be OK with it.
    Conspiracy theory - now that the champ. game isn't in KC - the need/want to have an MIAA team represented to have the best chance to sell the stadium is minimal. So the committee doesn't have to be shy about adding 2 MIAA teams for that best chance or even give the MIAA best seeding.

Comment

if they were truly looking at the numbers this is what it would look like.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/ncaa-d2/ratings
      "If you hate your job, don't worry. You won't have it long. (George Allen)

Comment

Originally posted by muscle bound freak View Post
        if they were truly looking at the numbers this is what it would look like.

https://www.masseyratings.com/cf/ncaa-d2/ratings
        You didn't read my composite post from last week; so the short answer directly from Massey is no, that's not what they should look like

https://twitter.com/masseyratings/st...53043480358912

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
          Conspiracy theory - now that the champ. game isn't in KC - the need/want to have an MIAA team represented to have the best chance to sell the stadium is minimal. So the committee doesn't have to be shy about adding 2 MIAA teams for that best chance or even give the MIAA best seeding.
          I believe it is a regional committee doing the rankings at this point (2 people from each of the 4 conferences, I believe one coach and one administrator--FWIW, Tim Beck at PSU is the coach from the MIAA on the committee this year), not a national committee. However, if my memory serves me, I do think a national committee has final oversight before the PO field is announced.

But more importantly, Pitt State or NW would both send a lot more people to a NC game in McKinney, Texas than anyone else in the region, especially more than the GLIAC schools. So to the extent that perverse incentive had any effect before (it didn't), it still exists today.

Comment

I have always thought the NCAA looks at the d2 championship game like pocket money that they write off to keep collecting dues. They don't really care about attendance or trying to profit from it.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              I have always thought the NCAA looks at the d2 championship game like pocket money that they write off to keep collecting dues. They don't really care about attendance or trying to profit from it.
              2% of march madness money pays for it. It's not a money maker.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post
                Yeah that's the way I see it, but every year I see "They'll play it at stadium X because they always have good attendance"

Comment

Originally posted by TSU_Mike59 View Post
                  Indy scheduled Grand Valley and Hillsdale (both RR teams this year) and Wayne State this year. All three are repeat games from last year.

Truman scheduled a road game at Saginaw Valley (was in the RR until last week) this year. Truman, in 2016, the year they were just about to make the playoffs until losing in week 11, played both Midwestern State and Grand Valley - I believe the two top teams in the region that year. In addition, they've played Morningside - arguably one of the top 2-3 teams in NAIA - each of the past two years. And Grand Valley I think has been on the schedule three times since moving out the MIAA.

Teams at the top of the GLVC might have it easy against the bottom tier of the league, but they can't be accused of not trying to pick up good non-conference games.
                  Would you PLEASE offer Lincoln full-fledged membership to the GLVC so the MIAA can start playing non-conference football games again? We might even be able to get enough MIAA fans to pay their way?
                  Go Hounds!
                  B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                  Cyclone Power
                  ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by JR Chaney View Post

Comment

It's actually 3% ... the three percent covers all of Division II's costs, not just for football. There's a lot more than just covering the costs of championships. The NCAA also gives money directly back to Conferences that goes back to the schools themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by mosoman View Post
                        It's actually 3% ... the three percent covers all of Division II's costs, not just for football. There's a lot more than just covering the costs of championships. The NCAA also gives money directly back to Conferences that goes back to the schools themselves.
                        That makes more sense.

Comment

It's 2 or 3% (I just saw the other person, so it's 3%.) I knew that number was right and yes it's for everything not just the championship game. My point was being the game isn't a money maker or need to make money.

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
                            Would you PLEASE offer Lincoln full-fledged membership to the GLVC so the MIAA can start playing non-conference football games again? We might even be able to get enough MIAA fans to pay their way?
                            To qualify for membership in the GLVC, Lincoln would have to add baseball, men's & women's soccer and women's volleyball. Good luck finding folks to help pay for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                              To qualify for membership in the GLVC, Lincoln would have to add baseball, men's & women's soccer and women's volleyball. Good luck finding folks to help pay for that.
                              Not to mention, they'd have to have interest in joining ...

Comment

Getting back on topic about the Regional Rankings, I personally believe that it would be best for the NCAA to officially address the Ferris St. issue prior to the playoffs. Good or bad, that's up to them and their conference... but don't put SR3 and DII as a whole in a huge black ugly cloud before the playoffs. Clear it up and let's move forward.

It would be a complete stain on the Division if Ferris were lucky enough to win themselves their first Championship only to have it stripped away post season under the cloud of playing ineligible players. Let's be honest, had this of happened to other programs in SR3 that already have Championship wins (you know who you are), the entire division would be up in arms to nullify those games (Ferris State included).

I'm not saying that is what should happen in this case, I don't have all of the facts and Ferris State has shown themselves to be exceptionally strong as they have continued to dominate their conference even after this has come to light. I'm just saying the optics would be different had it have been a different team.

Don't put the DII Championship at risk because somebody simply doesn't want to deal with this during the season. To me it almost looks like the powers at be want to sit back and watch if Ferris St. will once again fall in the post season so that they just don't have to deal with it directly. That sucks, for both the division and the Ferris St. Think of how it would feel to those players if they were to win and then a negative judgement come down.

There are two weeks left to solve this, I know I shouldn't hold my breath, but one way or the other this will have an affect on the perception of the division.
                                Maybe, I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning... I just wish that somebody would come out and acknowledge the "plan" to move forward.
                                * No penalty
                                * Nullified games
                                * % ranking loss
                                * whatever....

Just clear the air and let's all move forward.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X