Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SR3 Regional Rankings Week 9

I expect that the NCAA will put off any penalties until after the playoffs.
    Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

Comment

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
      My thoughts exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by voicefromthestands View Post
        Unfortunately, I think you are right.
        I believe that Ferris State has a good shot at the big game this year and having this cloud over them going into it is unfortunate.
        I'd hate to be the team with a Championship win and an asterisk behind it.

Comment

I can't speak for all schools in the conference but I believe S&T would. They scheduled Eastern New Mexico(I believe 8-2 the year prior) and ranked in top 25 in some pre season polls. They also scheduled Tuskegee who was ranked in the low to high teens in National polls to start the year and picked to win their conference. Those two teams just turned out to have worse seasons than expected. That is what is so disappointing with the rankings system. S&T tried to schedule good teams and may end up 9-1 (still a big if, they have two games they will need to play well to win) and still be left out because of traditional bias.

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
          Nobody here would argue with that. That said, would an Indy or UMR that thought they had a chance at a PO spot going into the season schedule a UCO?

Comment

I am not sure if it is the case in D2 as in D1, but are the schedules made 2-3 years out?

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtedBearcat View Post
              I am not sure if it is the case in D2 as in D1, but are the schedules made 2-3 years out?
              Yes. Nonconference schedules are typically in place at least a couple of years in advance, minus maybe one week here and there. It's not crazy like D1 with games in 2028 being scheduled, but the same thing happens at D2, sometimes you get lucky with your opponent, sometimes you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
                I can't speak for all schools in the conference but I believe S&T would. They scheduled Eastern New Mexico(I believe 8-2 the year prior) and ranked in top 25 in some pre season polls. They also scheduled Tuskegee who was ranked in the low to high teens in National polls to start the year and picked to win their conference. Those two teams just turned out to have worse seasons than expected. That is what is so disappointing with the rankings system. S&T tried to schedule good teams and may end up 9-1 (still a big if, they have two games they will need to play well to win) and still be left out because of traditional bias.
                Eastern is looking to win out and finish 6-5 and a strong SOS so they wont be the anchor they started put as this season.
                I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by NewCatEyez View Post
                  SUPER REGION THREE
                  1 Ferris St. 8-0 9-0
                  2 Ouachita Baptist 9-0 9-0
                  3 Grand Valley St. 6-1 8-1
                  4 Northwest Mo. St. 8-1 8-1
                  5 UIndy 7-1 7-1
                  6 Southern Ark. 8-1 8-1
                  7 Fort Hays St. 7-2 7-2
                  8 Pittsburg St. 7-2 7-2
                  9 Harding 7-2 7-2
                  10 Missouri S&T 5-1 7-1
                  I'd love to see Grand Valley lose one and NW win out so NW doesn't have to go north in the second round. Heck if that was the case, NW would probably host Pitt in the second round after an inevitable OBU loss in the first round. :tongue:

Comment

Originally posted by clintec View Post
                    Getting back on topic about the Regional Rankings, I personally believe that it would be best for the NCAA to officially address the Ferris St. issue prior to the playoffs. Good or bad, that's up to them and their conference... but don't put SR3 and DII as a whole in a huge black ugly cloud before the playoffs. Clear it up and let's move forward.

It would be a complete stain on the Division if Ferris were lucky enough to win themselves their first Championship only to have it stripped away post season under the cloud of playing ineligible players. Let's be honest, had this of happened to other programs in SR3 that already have Championship wins (you know who you are), the entire division would be up in arms to nullify those games (Ferris State included).

I'm not saying that is what should happen in this case, I don't have all of the facts and Ferris State has shown themselves to be exceptionally strong as they have continued to dominate their conference even after this has come to light. I'm just saying the optics would be different had it have been a different team.

Don't put the DII Championship at risk because somebody simply doesn't want to deal with this during the season. To me it almost looks like the powers at be want to sit back and watch if Ferris St. will once again fall in the post season so that they just don't have to deal with it directly. That sucks, for both the division and the Ferris St. Think of how it would feel to those players if they were to win and then a negative judgement come down.

There are two weeks left to solve this, I know I shouldn't hold my breath, but one way or the other this will have an affect on the perception of the division.
                    Maybe, I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning... I just wish that somebody would come out and acknowledge the "plan" to move forward.
                    * No penalty
                    * Nullified games
                    * % ranking loss
                    * whatever....

Just clear the air and let's all move forward.
                    If the NCAA does something I will be utterly shocked.

Comment

Come Sunday November 11th, the issue will be resolved; yet, the debate will undoubtedly continue.

Comment

Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                        Come Sunday November 11th, the issue will be resolved; yet, the debate will undoubtedly continue.
                        +1

The NCAA has protocols for how to handle this type of issue: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...t_20180827.pdf

This is because these investigations take a long time before punishment is handed down- so they have this policy for the post season selections.
                        Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Lots of football left.
                          Indy has Truman who could jump up and bite them and a Hillsdale team with only one loss.
                          Things I thought I'd never see, believe, or agree with. :bulgy-eyes:

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                            +1

The NCAA has protocols for how to handle this type of issue: http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...t_20180827.pdf

This is because these investigations take a long time before punishment is handed down- so they have this policy for the post season selections.
                            So if the win all 11, they will basically be 6and 1 from a win loss percentage standpoint?

Comment

So if the win all 11, they will basically be 6and 1 from a win loss percentage standpoint?
                              Not quite- they will still be 11-0, but they will factor in the nullification penalties when they do the final selection. For example, instead of a 1.00 w/l percentage they will have a .908 (1.0 - (4 x .023)). They will factor in all those different nullification penalties- which adds up pretty quickly when you look at SOS, etc. they could drop like a rock!
                              Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

I was assuming most of their games were in region, so they would use the .025 instead of .023.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X