X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mineral Water takes MO S&T and Moorhead

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
    As in soundly beaten?
    The funny thing is WU did to Pitt what Pitt did to MW the week before. Beat them on special teams, but got outgained and outplayed in the other areas.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
      The funny thing is WU did to Pitt what Pitt did to MW the week before. Beat them on special teams, but got outgained and outplayed in the other areas.
      Rare game where our return teams decided to give a sh**

Comment

When 1/3 of the snaps have only one guy running a route, it's pretty easy to cover that one guy. Not sure if it's a chicken or egg thing, though.

Who do they have to teach route running to WR's? I think that is something they lost with Rampy.
        Matt Karleskint is the WRs coach...

Comment

Some of that will improve, but I agree that QB development has been lacking at Pitt forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Fromthestands View Post
            Unsure of the validity of this, but I've also heard that some bowls (I believe the two Texas bowls - Corsicana & Heart of Texas) are pay-to-play bowls. In other words, they don't cover all of the team's expenses. While others do. That could also factor in. I know some programs don't necessarily want to entertain pay-to-play bowls.
            No bowl game at the D2 level (or or even the NCAA during the playoffs to be honest) covers all of the teams expenses. I think most of the bowls provide a certain number of hotel rooms and maybe a meal or two but transportation is almost always on the schools.
            The playoffs are able to pay for almost all of the transportation and give a per diem for the official travel party of like 60 or 70 that is meant to cover hotels and meals.
            Whether or not it pays for everything depends largely on how a school decides to handle their transportation and accommodations. The NCAA says you have to bus if it's under 600 miles and they will pay for flights over 600 miles. I don't remember how they pay for transportation from campus to the airport and that might be an added expense. And the per diem is only for the day before and the day of competition unless you can get a waiver for a half day on either end due to travel.
            I personally feel that the added expenses are worth it to your program and will hopefully pay off in the long run. Unless your school is in complete financial disarray I think the advantages of playing the extra game, the extra practice and the added exposure would outweigh the cost in most cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
              No bowl game at the D2 level (or or even the NCAA during the playoffs to be honest) covers all of the teams expenses. I think most of the bowls provide a certain number of hotel rooms and maybe a meal or two but transportation is almost always on the schools.
              The playoffs are able to pay for almost all of the transportation and give a per diem for the official travel party of like 60 or 70 that is meant to cover hotels and meals.
              Whether or not it pays for everything depends largely on how a school decides to handle their transportation and accommodations. The NCAA says you have to bus if it's under 600 miles and they will pay for flights over 600 miles. I don't remember how they pay for transportation from campus to the airport and that might be an added expense. And the per diem is only for the day before and the day of competition unless you can get a waiver for a half day on either end due to travel.
              I personally feel that the added expenses are worth it to your program and will hopefully pay off in the long run. Unless your school is in complete financial disarray I think the advantages of playing the extra game, the extra practice and the added exposure would outweigh the cost in most cases.
              MIAA has played in 27 bowl games since 2000 (17 Mineral Water, 4 Kanza, 3 Live United, 2 CHAMPS, 1 Corsicana). The following year the team that played in the bowl game made the post season again 16 times (or +60%), and 10 of those 16 made it to the playoffs. The only oddity of this is the 3 teams that have played in the Live United bowl did not make it to the post season the next season (so good luck Mo West on breaking that), otherwise you could say 16 teams out of 24 which would shoot up to +70% make the post season. The most famous of these is of course the 2010 Pitt team that went to the Mineral Water bowl then won the National Title in 2011.

2001 Mineral Water - UCM made 2002 playoffs (lost first round)
              2002 Mineral Water - ESU made 2003 playoffs (lost first round)
              2004 Mineral Water - WU made 2005 playoffs (got 2 seed and bye but lost to runner up NW Mo)
              2005 Mineral Water - MW made 2006 playoffs (won 1st round, lost to runner up NW Mo)
              2007 Mineral Water - MW made 2008 bowl (Mineral Water)
              2008 Mineral Water - MW made 2009 bowl (Mineral Water)
              2009 Mineral Water - MW made 2010 playoffs (lost 1st round to NW Mo)
              2010 Mineral Water - Pitt won 2011 national title
              2010 Kanza Bowl - WU made 2011 playoffs (lost to Pitt second round)
              2012 Kanza Bowl - ESU made 2013 playoffs (lost first round)
              2013 Mineral Water - Pitt made 2014 playoffs (won 1st round, lost second round to runner up MN Manko)
              2014 Mineral Water - UCO made 2015 bowl game (Live United)
              2015 Mineral Water - FHSU made 2016 bowl game (CHAMPS Bowl)
              2016 Mineral Water - WU made 2017 bowl game (CHAMPS Bowl)
              2016 CHAMPS Bowl - FHSU made 2017 playoffs (got 1 seed and first round bye, lost)
              2017 Corsicana - UCO made 2018 bowl game (CHAMPS Bowl)
              Last edited by EveryCatAWildman; 11-15-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
                Beck mentioned planning on picking up a transfer LB on his last radio show last night. Indicated we'd look for a transfer WR, LB, OL and either CB or S. It sounds like they're optimistic about Kaden Roy and Selemaea as the main two LBs, but will mainly be looking for depth in the transfer market.
                Wooooooo, wait a darn minute.....you mean Beck still has a job at Pitt...:smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
                  Wooooooo, wait a darn minute.....you mean Beck still has a job at Pitt...:smile-big:
                  Everything is fine. FINE.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                    MIAA has played in 27 bowl games since 2000 (17 Mineral Water, 4 Kanza, 3 Live United, 2 CHAMPS, 1 Corsicana). The following year the team that played in the bowl game made the post season again 16 times (or +60%), and 10 of those 16 made it to the playoffs. The only oddity of this is the 3 teams that have played in the Live United bowl did not make it to the post season the next season (so good luck Mo West on breaking that), otherwise you could say 16 teams out of 24 which would shoot up to +70% make the post season. The most famous of these is of course the 2010 Pitt team that went to the Mineral Water bowl then won the National Title in 2011.
                    Probably not surprising the participation for teams returning to the post-season having made the playoffs looks about the same. Since 2000, MIAA has put 40 teams into the playoffs; 26 of those teams returned to the post season the following year (or 65%). The one caveat to that is of course NW Mo makes up a bulk of those teams making the playoffs, having done so 16 times over that span (missing in 2001 & 2003) sooooo what does that mean? Well that gives you 24 teams not named NW Mo that have made the playoffs since 2000; and only 11 of them where able to make the post season (8 to playoffs, 3 to bowl games) the following season, which drops the returning to post season to just 45% and playoff repeats to 33% after a playoff appearance for everybody not name NW Mo, which is not impressive.

So why would playoffs not be as good a prep for the following season as just going to a bowl game (to everybody not named NW Mo)? My guess is two things, 1) playoff teams tend to be heavy seniors who have put in the time over 4 years building to a playoff appearance and they graduate leaving a vacuum the next season which goes into 2) playoff prep is just like weekly season prep, there's no time to mess around, you have a week (or two if a 1 seed) and of course getting the reps to your best players, whereas bowl prep you have a couple more weeks and you can work on other things and get your freshman and non-starters a lot more practice because who really cares if you win/lose a bowl.
                    Last edited by EveryCatAWildman; 11-15-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

So looking at the history and forward to 2019

1 of the 2 playoff participants NW Mo or FHSU is likely not to make the postseason next year; given the long string of history on NW side that puts the odds on FHSU
                      1 of the 3 bowl participants ESU, UCO, MoW will probably not make the postseason with 2 making it and 1 of those teams making the playoffs. My guess is the UCO is in the best position to move from bowl to playoff; considering how much ESU is losing on offense and MoW is keeping on offense my guess is ESU misses post season and MoW improves their record and makes another bowl.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X