Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those traveling to GVSU!

I am very excited to finally have NWMS in Allendale! We've been to your place quite enough for a lifetime =)

Anyway, for any NWMS fans traveling to the game, I wanted to give some suggestions on various travel-related things around the area.

If you are wanting to stay as close as possible to campus:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9722665,-85.9090904,17z

There is a Sleep Inn that is kitty corner from campus as you can see on the map. The green area in the bottom right is the GVSU golf course. Decent rates, but I'm guessing it will be the first one to go in the area. Beyond that, the next-closest hotel is the Best Western Plus Grand Castle, which is brand new, and is out front of a monstrosity of an apartment complex that looks like a castle. You'll be able to laugh at what is being completed. I stayed in this hotel as part of my wedding weekend, and it is a very nice hotel, same rates as the Sleep Inn in Allendale. It is about a 15 minute drive from campus.

If you are staying at the Sleep Inn, you have plenty of options for food. Main Street Pub is basically in the parking lot of the Sleep Inn, and Main Street Pub is the go-to bar for most people who come to the games. It is like a fancier Applebee's. There's also Peppino's which is less than a half mile away from the Sleep Inn and Main Street Pub, and they are both very comparable to each other. You also have a plethora of fast food options, including Taco Bell, Burger King, Tim Horton's all within walking distance.

If you are staying at the Sleep Inn, you HAVE to go to Murphy's Restaurant on Saturday morning before the game. There is going to be a line. It is right out in front of the hotel, next to Main Street Pub. It is a spectacular breakfast joint. You know it's good for breakfast, because they close for the day at like 2 p.m. I think.

If you are staying in Allendale and are a pizza fan, I highly, highly suggest Mancino's Pizza and Grinders, which is right across the street from campus on Lake Michigan Drive. It is all the way to the right of that map location above.

If you are wanting to stay in Grand Rapids, closer to downtown, here is a map of what the area will look like. The four downtown hotels are all visible here (the pink labels):

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9643019,-85.6733993,17z

You have anything and everything available to you! The hotels will be pretty pricey, but there are a number of great food options around the hotels downtown. My two closest food options I would suggest if you are staying around there is Z's Bar, or Atwater Brewery (not on map, it is just past the Devos Performance Hall to the north). Atwater is a little bit of a further walk, but it is a brewery, so maybe you shouldn't be driving anyway!

If you are going to be in town Friday night or Saturday night, and want to walk around downtown, then I would suggest making time for Hopcat, which is another brewery and you have to get the crack fries on the menu. Trust me. There's also the Grand Rapids Brewing Company a block away from Hopcat, as you can see on the map. If you are a pizza person, I would suggest Vito's Pizza, which is just west of GVSU's downtown campus and they'll deliver to any of those hotels.

BONUS! If you are a big sports junkie, the Grand Rapids Griffins, the Detroit Red Wings' AHL affiliate, are playing home games downtown on both Friday and Saturday night. I highly suggest going if you are spending either night in the area. They play at Van Andel Arena which is near the bottom of the screen on that map link above. It is great entertainment for the family, and you'll see some future NHL stars playing! If you get tickets beforehand, there is actually a skywalk tunnel that connects the Courtyard by Marriott, JW Marriott, and Amway Grand hotels together and to the arena. If you want to buy tickets there, you'll have to go down to street level and go to the box office on the floor level.

If anyone has any questions at all on anything related to either the Allendale or Grand Rapids area, let me know and I'll give you whatever information you want! If you're looking for anything in particular, or looking for suggestions on any specific types of food or anything like that.

I live about 20 minutes from campus (near the Best Western Grand Castle), so I think I'm a decent source for info =)
    Last edited by KleShreen; 11-12-2018, 08:31 AM.
    2021 D2Football Fantasy Champion

Re: For those traveling to GVSU!

It is the internet stream pretty good for Laker games.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
      Hard to find a better one in D-II. Will be on ESPN3/WatchESPN for free. Commentators, replays, professional production, the whole nine yards.

Comment

Originally posted by KleShreen View Post
        Hard to find a better one in D-II. Will be on ESPN3/WatchESPN for free. Commentators, replays, professional production, the whole nine yards.
        Man o Man...that is great. Thanks.

Comment

is there a way to watch it if you don't have television service?

Comment

Originally posted by Greenman View Post
            GreenwoodBearcat's house?
            IH8FERRIS

Comment

Get someone's cable login information! Haha

Comment

Originally posted by IM N GUD H&NZ BEARCAT View Post
                GreenwoodBearcat's house?
                ahahaha...I have Super Duper ATT Uverse 1 gb speed internet.

Comment

Go to Rickenbrode and turn on that big ole TV at the South end. I believe the switch is on the left

Comment

Purchased my tickets for the game earlier today. Allendale here we come!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
                      ESPN3 would be your best bet....

Then turn the radio on to KXCV so you can listen to Coffey screw stuff up.... :laugh:

Comment

Title Town, Carson's, Burny's, etc... will probably stream the game. They have in the past.

Title Town also does the Spoofhound games as well....

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat06 View Post
                          Title Town, Carson's, Burny's, etc... will probably stream the game. They have in the past.

Title Town also does the Spoofhound games as well....
                          i figured there would be some public places to watch, however, depending on how the game goes, i may not be fit to be in public! ;)

Comment

i figured there would be some public places to watch, however, depending on how the game goes, i may not be fit to be in public! ;)
                            LOL...

Go to Title Town if you haven't been there before. Really good food.... and I am sure he will have a special going. Last couple of Sat's he's been running Shredded Pork Nachos. I've heard they are fantastic......

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X