Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Taxman View Post

I want your reevaluation after learning this is just his second year. Does the post stop after "he should grow and get better."?
    Thought he started in 16. No, next step is, he is who he shows himself to be next year. Does he take a step forward after this year? I guess we will all see next year.

Comment

Name that opponent in SR3 outside of Ferris. And then do the nation. There are maybe 5 teams in the nation that were potentially better. I'll hang up and listen.

Comment

• Comment

• Bolles 3.0 would have graduated after the 18 season if not for an injury last year. I think NW is NC favorites in both 17 and 18 with Bolles 3.0 behind center. 19 might have been a HARD drop though with the defense still really good this year but not quite the level it was in 17.

I think BW could excel in a Schmidt role but unless something drastic happens over the offseason his throwing consistency just isn't there to put NW in the NC contenders discussion.

Comment

• Last edited by GoCatsGo5; 12-09-2019, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Does NW have the same QB coaches developing QB's that they did under AD?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat97 View Post
                Also, do we have a RB and TE waiting in the wings?

Ferris State was definitely the better team.
                The running back position concerns me for next year. Don't know much about Rawie or Purvis. From what I've seen of Raymond Thomas I see more of a slot guy in the Dexter McCluster mold (not an every down back). Maybe we get another transfer?

Comment

• It's hard to say that anyone missed on Wright. He's a tremendous athlete and he's obviously been productive... his two seasons as the starter, the Bearcats are 18-4, 2 conference championships, and 2 playoff wins. If I'm remembering correctly, MIAA offensive freshman of the year, and he made one of the conference teams this year. That doesn't suck by any means, but it can be pretty ugly to watch when teams are able to stop the run and he has to make plays with his arm. Hopefully, he gets with the right people and develops further in that regard in the offseason. If that doesn't happen, the team may need to look at other options and use his skills in a different capacity. I just hope the QB competition is truly open next spring, and if he's the best we got, then he is the best we got... Roll with it and hope he's improved.

The coaching aspect has to play a part in his development or lack there of. This year just felt like he regressed... whether he really did or not is probably up for debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                    Does NW have the same QB coaches developing QB's that they did under AD?
                    Last edited by lleachieshusband; 12-09-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                      Does NW have the same QB coaches developing QB's that they did under AD?
                      The offensive coordinators were both here in similar capacities when AD was here. Charlie Flohr was the O. Coordinator with a focus on the passing game, Joel Osborn was coaching WRs. I believe AD was the primary playcaller though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fro-th_and_goal View Post

The running back position concerns me for next year. Don't know much about Rawie or Purvis. From what I've seen of Raymond Thomas I see more of a slot guy in the Dexter McCluster mold (not an every down back). Maybe we get another transfer?
                        Strayhorn will be a solid RB1 on the JF3 level to me. No bell cow by any means, but no slouch. Thomas could help the overall run game via wr sweeps, etc. There are obviously ??? all over the offensive side of the ball, though I do really like what we have at wr.

Comment

• Originally posted by lleachieshusband View Post
                          Still is according to his bio...
                          Charlie Flohr Assistant Head Coach - Co-Offensive Coord./Quarterbacks

Comment

Not sure about cutting ability or how good of a back he will end up being, but from what I saw (limited reps of course) Rawie appeared to me to be a good straight line runner and some showed some top end speed once he cleared the 2nd level.

Comment

The RB position is definitely one of concern to me as well as QB. While Caldwell, Strayhorn, and Rankin have all been solid, they have only been stop-gaps. I guess like everyone else I was spoiled with 6 consecutive years of Omon and Council.

Comment

NW's recent QB recruiting classes:

2019: Krause, Roush - Obviously redshirting this season
                                2018: Hohensee
                                2017: Wright
                                2016: Brannan (gone), Kowalski
                                2015: Johnson, Martin (Juco Tr)
                                2014: NONE - Potentially your 2019 starting SR QB
                                2013: Baker, Schmidt (WR), Strauss (gone)
                                2012: Zimmerman

It's not one miss. Some are yet to be determined. But there is a 4 year gap in there that led to Wright having to start as a RS FR.
                                I wonder if anyone has considered that maybe AD is a bigger part of the reasons the QB deficiency has occurred than people realize.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X