Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Recruiting

Why is Monkey State dumping on Missouri Southern. Hey, the Lions are trying to improve their program just like everybody else.
    Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 01-26-2019, 05:59 PM.

Comment

I am currently at 36 verbal commits to NW...
      IH8FERRIS

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
        Why is Monkey State dumping on Missouri Southern. Hey, the Lions are trying to improve their program just like everybody else.
        Pitt is no longer trying to improve the program. They are on the "squeeze all the dollars out" path.

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
          Both classy, well-thought out responses - Exactly what we'd expect f/ the mouth-breather fans at Pitt ...
          catz54 loves the Gorillas. Loves em.

Reaching into the Pitt State coaching tree at Lamar HS to bring in the dual QB system? To be honest, I'm surprised we haven't already done it. I'm 99% sure it was the inspiration for the dual punter.

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
          Pitt is no longer trying to improve the program. They are on the "squeeze all the dollars out" path.
          Something's gotta finance the basketball and baseball coaching hires.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
            catz54 loves the Gorillas. Loves em.
            TeamKong charter member, I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
              TeamKong charter member, I believe.
              Pretty sure he actually is a member who helped wayne out with the site, but I may have him confused with some other NW fan.

Comment

I actually think GB is right that Lamar may have inspired the revolutionary dual punter formation.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                  Pretty sure he actually is a member who helped wayne out with the site, but I may have him confused with some other NW fan.
                  I was a member of TeamKong, but haven't been on there in years. I did write an article for Wayne one time for the site and it was fun.

You have to remember that when I got to school at NW (1996) that Pitt State was the top of the MIAA and perenially one of the top in the country. We built our program to beat them, because if you beat Pitt State, you compete with literally anyone. It was a mindset. So "Pitt State Week" was a real and very important week for us as players. We focused more, practiced harder, and got ready. Obviously you try to do this for everyone, but anyone that's played a sport knows that certain teams command your attention.

All of that being said, I actually do not love Pitt State. Respect them a ton (even today), but I root against them because that's how rivalries work and for me they are a rival.

Southern had 2 coaches in the last 20 years, at least, that devistated the program. I remember Greg Gregory took a team that was one of the better in the MIAA and moved them to the basement. Daye, who everyone lauded as a savior, absolutely dismantled the team with how he recruited and what he tried to do. Denver (whom I've met and was a good to us at a coaching clinic) never had a chance. He was given a program in shambles and asked to recover it with one hand tied behind his back.

No one will ever know where Southern would be if Ware had not passed. He was pulling them out and was a good coach and good man. They haven't been able to duplicate that and from what it sounds like there is no emphasis in the program at all right now. So whomever takes over is fighting uphill. The JC guy they have now is going to Willie Fritz his way up the ladder. My guess is he's not too concerned how he leaves the program. When you build with 2 year kids, that's what's going to happen (see Daye). It's TBD though as it's all speculation. The only way to build a sustained winner in the program (see NW, Pitt, Fort Hays, Emporia) is to find 4 (or 5 if you can redshirt) year players and sprinkle in IMPACT JC kids. Otherwise you will be good short term, but have no long term plan.

For the last 20 years, Southern never seems to have a long term plan.

Comment

The last 20 years you mention - they've rarely been able to hire the coach they WANTED to get ... starting with Rocky Hager, who was all set to replace Jon Lantz (press conference scheduled before Julio changed his mind), to Ware being the fourth choice fall-back (Eric Holm, Jerry Kill among those turning them down), to Gregory being about the seventh or eighth choice. I think Bart Tatum WAS their guy - just didn't work out. Daryl was Jered's guy, I believe - and they'll have to own that. Sims was the coach they wanted from the get-go this time, it appears, and has a strong comittment from the top from what I hear. As an alum, I hope it's true. Football is THE KEY sport in Division II athletics for the entire department, IMO, and I really hope they get it moving in the right direction.

Also, I think Willie was good for Central, IMO. Drastic improvement as a coach over his predecessor ...

Comment

Originally posted by Frosty View Post
                      The last 20 years you mention - they've rarely been able to hire the coach they WANTED to get ... starting with Rocky Hager, who was all set to replace Jon Lantz (press conference scheduled before Julio changed his mind), to Ware being the fourth choice fall-back (Eric Holm, Jerry Kill among those turning them down), to Gregory being about the seventh or eighth choice. I think Bart Tatum WAS their guy - just didn't work out. Daryl was Jered's guy, I believe - and they'll have to own that. Sims was the coach they wanted from the get-go this time, it appears, and has a strong comittment from the top from what I hear. As an alum, I hope it's true. Football is THE KEY sport in Division II athletics for the entire department, IMO, and I really hope they get it moving in the right direction.

Also, I think Willie was good for Central, IMO. Drastic improvement as a coach over his predecessor ...
                      Honestly, knowing the importance of High School Hoops in SWMO, especially at the small shools, I would think Basketball would be another good place for Southern and Pitt to both increase community connections.

Comment

Turning out to be a HUGE recruiting year for PSU. Two 247sports 3-Star commits in Dylan White (Pitt High) and KeJuan Hay (Owasso High) and some big time players out of Texas and Oklahoma.
                        Last edited by PittGorillaFan; 01-30-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PittGorillaFan View Post
                          Turning out to be a HUGE recruiting year for PSU. Two 247sports 3-Star commits in Dylan White (Pitt High) and KeJuan Hay (Owasso High) and some big time players out of Texas and Oklahoma.
                          Northwest should probably move to the GLVC now, right?

Comment

Frosty, what's the deal with the AD? You want him gone I know, but what's Sims take?

Comment

I've never said I want the AD gone. Also, to clarify, when I said Daryl was Jared's guy and he owns it, he also owns the last two winning seasons and one outstanding win at Pitt. I also called people who knew and competed with and against Daryl when he was at Nicholls and received glowing reviews on him. I still believe had his parents health not gone south, we'd not be having the Daryl Daye discussion ...

I just want to know what we can do to be more successful across the board in more than just Men's Basketball - thank goodness for that program. One thing I see is that our budget / facilities are closer to the top in Men's Basketball than the other sports. We're still behind in the facilities / funding race, though, across the board by a long way. Are you asking me my take on Sims or Sims's take on the AD?

Comment

""" Northwest should probably move to the GLVC now, right? """"

It might not be a bad idea - definitely something they should consider.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X