Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scholarship money next year?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scholarship money next year?

    So schools are recruiting but nobody lost eligibility. I’d imagine a split of seniors this year will join the workforce while others will play next year and finish their degrees. How does the 36 (isn’t that it?) full scholarships that can be divided work out? Do SRs have to commit to a final season early and then budget is made? Does it come down to school budget for football? Competitive balance for NW, Pitt, changes as they may put more money into football programs.

  • #2
    I believe they got extra scholarships for one year, wether the programs can fund them or choose to is a different story.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
      I believe they got extra scholarships for one year, wether the programs can fund them or choose to is a different story.
      Gonna be interesting, that could change the course of the conference. If you think you are a contender, do you think this is how you close the gap on NW,Hays,UCM. If you are middle of the pack do you load up on some juco kids to win the conference next year? Does NW completely go back to a differnet level like they were before Wright took over. More scholarships, and developing kids.

      Comment


      • #4
        Great questions Hook.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post
          I believe they got extra scholarships for one year, wether the programs can fund them or choose to is a different story.
          Currently only for D1, D2 council hasn’t approved a waiver for additional scholarships if seniors decide to come back
          ”There are two factors that control the availability of scholarships at the D1 and D2 levels. The NCAA scholarship limits per sport and whether or not the school is fully funded. For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team's scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season. The D2 level has not provided any waivers, so there is no potential for D2 programs to offer additional scholarship money for fall sports recruits.”
          Learn more about the NCAA decision to grant an extra year of eligibility relief to Division 1, 2 and 3 athletes due to COVID-19.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by twolfbenchwarmer View Post

            Currently only for D1, D2 council hasn’t approved a waiver for additional scholarships if seniors decide to come back
            ”There are two factors that control the availability of scholarships at the D1 and D2 levels. The NCAA scholarship limits per sport and whether or not the school is fully funded. For D1 fall sports, seniors who have scholarships and who will be using the extra year of eligibility will not count against the team's scholarship limit for the 2021-22 season. The D2 level has not provided any waivers, so there is no potential for D2 programs to offer additional scholarship money for fall sports recruits.”
            I did not realize they distinguished between the two levels. Honestly, if they are going to make that option available to D1, they should make it that way universally. I don’t fathom any extenuating circumstance s D1 athletes would have with returning a year versus their D2 counterparts.

            It seems like an entirely administrative question for the university, and the differences in fully funding their scholarships already or not is something that each school has had to deal with before.

            Comment


            • #7
              Maybe DII will just allocate their equivalencies more for one year? Are they able to change a scholarship agreement after signing?

              Comment


              • #8
                I was under the impression that Division II had adopted the D1 provisions.

                Comment


                • #9
                  From what I was told D-2 is not under the same D-1 umbrella for this. They have their max 36 and that's it. Going to be tough for these kids to get money this year.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Northwest has been selling helmets and jerseys to bring in $$$$. 'Hard times come again no more.' Ag Dept might have to sell off their cow herd. ;)


                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                      Northwest has been selling helmets and jerseys to bring in $$$$. 'Hard times come again no more.' Ag Dept might have to sell off their cow herd. ;)

                      Sounds like a fire sale, but we'll know for sure if they sell off the birds from the turkey breeding operation. Is that a real thing or is that something the Pitt fans fabricated a few years ago?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just kidding about the turkey thing. There's nothing funny about the things athletic departments might need to do to generate some income. I think NW selling off some old jerseys and helmets is a good idea and I would imagine that Bearcat fans will step up and support the program and gobble up that stuff (pun intended). I wonder what measures (if any) other MIAA teams are taking to generate some revenue?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Not MIAA, not football... but a co-worker has a daughter who has been heavily recruited for her sport by several schools. She is a senior. The coach where she wants to go called her a couple months ago and basically said: Look, I want you to come here. But I need to be clear that I am not sure what next year looks like. Right now, depending on what is decided by our institution, I must honor the commitments to the seniors first. I promise to keep you in the loop, but I am not sure what this looks like yet.

                          Daughter was pretty upset in general, but she did appreciate both the honesty and the commitment to current players. But still... tough situation all around. This is not a close co-worker, so no idea what has come up since then.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Donated my ticket money to athletic scholarship fund.
                            Luck is where Preparation meets Opportunity

                            Comment

                            Ad3

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X