Comment

Comment

Re: 2019-2020 Preseason Rankings

What do you consider successful?

Comment

Comment

Top 3????

Nope. Be lucking to be in top 7. Most likely will be what they have been since entering into the MIAA. Bottom tier. I'm thinking 9th.

Comment

Big difference between just knocking on door and actually opening the door.

Comment

Serious question - when do you consider FHSU made their "breakthrough"? If it's making the playoffs then you have to realize they went 8-4, 8-4 the two years prior to making the playoffs. If it's just making the postseason (bowl game) then they were 6-5, 7-4 the two years before they went to the Mineral Water Bowl. UNK has been 3-8 and 5-6 the last two years. Not exactly knocking on the door in the same context. But if you are talking about a breakthrough being a winning season then yes, they are close to FHSU in 2011-12.

I'm not saying the Kearney won't make a jump this year. It's just that personally I don't think there is some pattern or formula to getting successful. I think every situation is different and each school has to figure out their own path to success.
                  For some it can be a steady climb from 0-11 to 15-0 and the national championship in five seasons.
                  For some it can take nine years to get from 3-8 to 11-3 and the regional championship game.
                  For some it can be a jump from 2-8 to 8-4 in one year followed by four bowl games in five years without making the playoffs.

Comment

I think Kearney improves again this year. Lots of great pieces returning, buy in and talent have increased under new coaching. O is odd enough to make them tough to plan for.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                      7th is really high?
                      Sorry. I thought someone posted that they were picked high.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                        Missouri Southern got a 1 vote
                        How did Coach Sims get a media ballot?

Comment

Their pass game is terrible though; teams are going to stuff the box. Now UNK might still put up 3,000 yards rushing but it's going to be a similar pattern of very close games that they never separate themselves as dominate. Which comes down to defense, and UNK secondary only had 4 INTs last year with just 2 of those returning in the secondary; in a more passing league like the MIAA teams can score quickly when needed against UNK. But when UNK gets the ball back and needs to score 'quickly' they can't as easily and have to rely on the run. Situations like the ESU and FHSU games last year, where UNK had the lead going into the fourth but couldn't keep those teams from scoring. What's concerning for UNK - if you take out the Northeastern and MO SO games last year - UNK got outscored in the 4th quarter 45-77 by the other 9 teams. (they outscored those other two bums 28-0 in the fourth) And I don't see right now how UNK has addressed that issue.

Comment

Fair assessment. Appreciate the write-up. Thx

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
                              haha thanks brandon...shocking! a pic with him eating. lol
                              I asked him privately how much he got each week for groceries...

"It's a lot."

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                                Their pass game is terrible though; teams are going to stuff the box. Now UNK might still put up 3,000 yards rushing but it's going to be a similar pattern of very close games that they never separate themselves as dominate. Which comes down to defense, and UNK secondary only had 4 INTs last year with just 2 of those returning in the secondary; in a more passing league like the MIAA teams can score quickly when needed against UNK. But when UNK gets the ball back and needs to score 'quickly' they can't as easily and have to rely on the run. Situations like the ESU and FHSU games last year, where UNK had the lead going into the fourth but couldn't keep those teams from scoring. What's concerning for UNK - if you take out the Northeastern and MO SO games last year - UNK got outscored in the 4th quarter 45-77 by the other 9 teams. (they outscored those other two bums 28-0 in the fourth) And I don't see right now how UNK has addressed that issue.
                                I actually like the makeup of this UNK team a lot. Coach Lynn made specific mention of getting better in the pass game this season but, they have three dudes who are legit starting tailbacks in the MIAA on offense and they return two All-Conference level offensive linemen. On defense, they probably have the best DL in the league not found in Maryville (maybe even including NW) with Allieu, Ingraham, and Henderson (D1 transfer). They return two of the top inside linebackers in the league and one of the best safeties. If they can find serviceable corners, the defense has a chance to be really, really good. Do I think they are top 3? Not at all. But, they get UCO, Pitt State, Northwest and UCM at home. If they find a way to win two of those then I honestly think that 7 wins is realistic.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X